SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much for a good bottle of wine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much for a good bottle of wine? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I don't drink but wanted to get a gift card for someone to an online wine seller. How much is a good bottle of wine? Would $150 be enough to get something nice?

I don't want to pick anything, who knows what kind they like, I just want them to be able to pick something nice

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's plenty

Posts: 1964 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
More than enough. I agree, a good bottle can be found for $50 or less.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5332 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What's good?

To me, everyday white is about $10-15, red is probably $15-20.

A good white, like chardonnay from Grigch is about $40-80 depending on vintage.

A good red, for me, will generally run about the same but I'm partial to Pinot Noir or Zin over Cabernet. A 'good' cabernet may be $80-120 for me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
97% of the wine sold in the US is <$12.

I’ve had expensive wine and wouldn’t choose it over some $5 bottles I’ve had.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
You can get some good wine for a very reasonable price. You can also spend big bucks for mediocre wine.

I was at a business dinner with some execs from my company. They all made serious $$ and were talking wine and how much they spent on various bottles.

I finally chimed in and said I was happy with the “Three Buck Chuck” wine I got at Trader Joes. After a pause, one of the execs “admitted” that he drank it too. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6418 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Never tried the $3 Chuck.

I haven't tried this in awhile (probably at least 15 years) but Delicato had a $5 Cab that was better than anything else I've tasted under $100 (and more). Not sure what their prices are and how they taste now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it better when it was two buck Chuck... Smile

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A lot would depend on the pallet and experience of the one drinking it.
A nice Italian Brunello di Montalcino can be had in the sixty to hundred dollar range.
A client and friend who has an Italian restaurant gave me a bottle of Renieri that was fabulous ~ it was selling about $75 at the time - and of course the restaurant sells it for double.
It was fabulous.
There is a point that unless you are well informed on taste that it doesn't make much difference.
Personally I don't like to buy many wines under $20 but some are not bad.
When I want to splurge I will get some of the Brunello.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
A $150 gift card would make a very nice gift for a wine aficionado.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My wife prides herself on finding wines she likes for under $10/bottle. Some of these, I like OK too, but most of them are swill. I will admit to being a little bit of a wine snob and particular about what I like. The key take-away is that it is a matter of personal taste. The price of a bottle of wine bears very little correlation to its "quality," but has more to do with the reputation of the vintner and where they are positioning themselves in the market. I wish I could assure you that paying $XXX for a bottle will guarantee drinkability, but I have had wines priced far more than your target that I could barely pour down my gullet.

The etiquette of gifting wine implies that you have discovered something special, and want to share the experience, a gift card doesn't do this. Find out what style of wine they like, buy two bottles of several vintages, try them, you will soon know which of the extra bottles you want to share with your friends. Meanwhile, you'll have the rest of the bottles for yourself. Whoops, I see "don't drink" so disregard this, or find a friend who is willing to do the research for you.

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The best stuff comes in a cardboard box with a screw top.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
$150 will buy quite a nice bottle, or even two.

Bottles with the very highest of reputations will cost multiples of that, but $150 will allow almost anyone to get something that is very good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consulted two wine club members ,both in their 60's.

They both said that if you don't know what you are doing.

They would much rather have four or five bottles of $15.00 - $20.00 wine than an iffy very expensive bottle of wine.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54671 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
"What’s the word? Thunderbird. How’s it sold? Good and cold. What’s the jive? Bird’s alive. What’s the price? Thirty twice.” Cool Big Grin Eek

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy red wine myself.

$50 for a nice bottle is more than gracious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Underdog,

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
And don’t forget about Hiney Wine

Nothing better than a cold Hiney at the end of a long hard day at work.

And if you don't finish the bottle, you can stuff a cork in your Hiney.

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
$150 is extremely generous.

Doing a simple search at wine.com for 94+ point (aka excellent) cabernet sauvignon, one could buy 1 to 3 bottles of wine.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy Joel Gott and it is only $12 a bottle. I have had $300 a bottle wine and yeah they are really good, but for the price I like Joel Gott.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
A $150 gift card would make a very nice gift for a wine aficionado.

That's the ticket. They may have an amazing favorite that's $30. With that, they can thank you five times!

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post