SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iOS upgrade problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iOS upgrade problems Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Upgraded iOS last night to 10.2.1 now the fingerprint unlock will not work and it will not let you install another fingerprint. Also in Apple pay it tells me my debit card needs verification when I try to verify, it tells me it is not available at this time and to try again later. No matter how long I wait I get the same message.

Anyone have any ideas? If it continues is there a way to undo the udgrade and go back to the previous version?

P.S. I have restarted the phone.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit anal about this stuff, I always try to remember to do a backup via iTunes before I make any significant changes to iPhone or iPad.

If you do have a recent backup, you might want to try a restore, then maybe re-install the iOS upgrade.

I did install the new release of iOS and had no problems, so I'm guessing that maybe something had a hiccup during your install.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm a bit anal about this stuff, I always try to remember to do a backup via iTunes before I make any significant changes to iPhone or iPad.

If you do have a recent backup, you might want to try a restore, then maybe re-install the iOS upgrade.

I did install the new release of iOS and had no problems, so I'm guessing that maybe something had a hiccup during your install.

Thought about that but really hate to have to go that route if not absolutely necessary.

SigP229R

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Not sure about your current problem, but, here is what I recently read on Fox News app as to the next iOS upgrade:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...perform-back-up.html

Apple's iOS 10.3 update could result in you losing all of your data if you do not perform a back up:

If you have sentimental attachment to the data on your iPhone, you will want to perform a backup before upgrading to Apple’s latest iOS update later this month.
While iOS 10.3 promises to deliver a host of new updates, one component could devastate users who do not back up data and files to Apple’s cloud before installing new operating system.
It all has to do with the tech giant introducing a new file system to replace its 29-year-old predecessor known as HFS+.
Your iOS update will automatically convert to the new Apple File System (APFS), but if something goes wrong during the process, your old files could disappear for good because the two file systems are not compatible.

While you will be able return to the old version of iOS, this will require you to reformat your drive, which will delete all of your files on your device — hence the need for the backup.
It might sound risky, but Apple File System promises to be a huge improvement on the predecessor which the tech giant has been using its introduction in 1998.
The update will be better suited to modern computing demands, allowing for stronger encryption, more accurate time stamps and optimisation for solid state storage.
The new operating system is also expected to include a Find My AirPods feature, hidden keyboards for iPads and minor App Store improvements.
APFS is also tipped to be rolled out across its computers, smartwatches and Apple TVs.

HOW TO BACK UP WITH ICLOUD
1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Tap Settings, then scroll down and tap iCloud.
3. Scroll down, tap Backup, and make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
5. Make sure that the backup finished: Tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, then select your device. The backup should appear in the details with the time and backup size.

HOW TO BACK UP WITH ITUNES
1. Open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes.
3. If you want to save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup: Select the box called Encrypt [device] backup and create a memorable password. If you don’t need to save your Health and Activity data, you can make a backup that isn’t encrypted. Just click Back Up Now.
This article originally appeared on News.com.au.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
From Apple, although you many need to get to an Apple Store.

Get help with Touch ID

You might need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID for one of these reasons:

If you've just restarted your device
If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
If you haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours

If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints
If you're trying to open Touch ID & Passcode in the Settings menu

If you still need help, follow these steps. Try using Touch ID after each step:

Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.1 For the Home button, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.
Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.
Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, and that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
Try enrolling a different finger.
If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
If it continues is there a way to undo the udgrade and go back to the previous version?

I would try the steps posted by lkdr1989. You won't be able to return to 10.2, or anything earlier, because Apple has stopped signing them (won't certify that version for an installation).

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Thanks alll for your tiime and knowledge. Both problems haave now straightened ttheriselves oout. I will definately back up today but, probably wiill not update to anythig higher than 10.2.1 for a while. I will let them get the most of the bugs ironed out first.

Please close thread! Thanks.

SigP229R