SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fence post material ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fence post material ? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm planning to have a new fence installed. I decided to go with vinyl.
I will have a entry gate and a large folding gate at the rear of the property to allow my motorhome access.
The fence company rep said the 6' high fence would be warranted for life. The rep also stated that the fence posts would be vinyl. At each side of the gates the vinyl posts would be lined with steel posts. I asked if I should have all the posts lined with a steel post and was told it was not necessary, the vinyl posts were fine and tested to over 110mph wind speeds. They used the steel for gateposts because of the extra stress.
I'm still not sold on just the vinyl posts.
Anybody have a fence installed with the vinyl posts and how is it holding up?
I plan to sell the house in the next few years or sooner so a 20 year fence is not my main concern, it falling down is.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I plan to sell the house in the next few years or sooner so a 20 year fence is not my main concern, it falling down is.
Given this statement, go with your fence company's recommendation.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Having seen what happens to both wood and steel posts given enough time in the ground, I’d guess you’re better off with vinyl only except where you have the torque of a gate hanging off the post.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in South Florida where we deal with 100 mph winds often (hurricanes) they use the vinyl posts and some fill them with concrete after they sink them. Not sure if all of the fence installers do that. If you put steel or wood inside the vinyl posts, over time it would swell and split them most likely. If the vinyl posts are set deep enough, the fence should be strong structurally.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks
I feel much more confidant with the vinyl posts now.
I will ask about the concrete fill option.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Solid vinyl posts, or hollow vinyl posts?

Solid vinyl/composite/plastic would be fine, in fact better than wood or steel.

Hollow, I'd be a little less confident about, depending on wall thickness.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Solid vinyl posts, or hollow vinyl posts?

Solid vinyl/composite/plastic would be fine, in fact better than wood or steel.

Hollow, I'd be a little less confident about, depending on wall thickness.

I don't know for sure, but expect them to be hollow if they insert a steel post were the gates are located.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A neighbor has 6 ft vinyl fencing around the back of his house, and it looks great and hasn't visually deteriorated since we moved into the neighborhood 11 yrs ago. Vinyl fencing in not my cup of tea personally, but from durability and visual standpoints over time, it looks to me like a good option. Quality of materials and installation however would make the real difference though I think, like anything else.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post