SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dryer Venting Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dryer Venting Question Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Our current dryer vent exhaust is on the roof, north side of the house. The piping has 1-90^ bend and 2-45^ bends from what I am able to see. The RED marks the existing line and the magenta is where I am considering stubbing it out the wall. Existing run is about 12-15 feet long. We have had some issues with lint build up, but typically it is right behind the dryer. We are getting a new roof, insurance paid for, and want to make sure this is vented correctly...keep the roof vent or vent directly thru the brick veneer on the porch?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can make that change fairly easily I'd do it. Much safer from a potential fire standpoint.

Posts: 2056 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Agree. Shortest run and as few turns as possible would be the ideal.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a certified dryer vent tech through the CSIA. Your current dryer vent does meet code barely. Code is galvanized pipe is all enclosed spaces maximum of 25' subtracting 5' for each 90 degree turn and 2.5' for all other angles.

The issue I believe you are dealing with is the long vertical run. I have never seen one work efficiently even when run to code and under 10'.
I would recommend drilling a 4.5" hole through the brick and running your pipe out to the front porch. It will increase the efficiency and lifespan of your dryer and reduce lint buildup.
Any questions my email is in my profile.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
git'er done,
I had a similar situation 2 years ago.

because of a couple of people here I alleviated 3) 90 degree turns and 5 feet of pipe.

you could hear the dryer vent sound different ,
probably gave the dryer an extra few years

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55174 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Good mod, do it!

Only 2 small drawbacks.
1) Might get some Lint, steam, noise on the front porch.
2) Stray animal attractant. (attracted to the warmth in winter)

My mom had a duck spend the winter under her dryer vent! It left when the weather broke.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feed duck corn. Duck gets fat and tasty. Holiday dinner gets less expensive and tastier.

Posts: 558 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post