SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear spray while hiking
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear spray while hiking Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
People rarely shoot themselves when defending against predators, but as the previous poster brings up, you have little control over the wind - for lack of better odds, it's 50-50 it will be blowing in your benefit.

Nobody talks about that when suggesting bear spray. It's a second page mention, or later, when it finally comes up. it's a common matter when discussing the use of pepper spray for LEO's, tho. Why is it ignored when discussing bear?

And yes, I have 'certified' with a snootful. Standard practice for all MP's, active or reserve. Since we don't carry Glocks tho, no reason to worry about leg injuries . . . Wink

Black bear are generally nocturnal in areas with humans present, and largely exhibit avoidance patterns EXCEPT when they are familiarized with open garbage near small towns - like, Gatlinburg TN. Rangers are busy running them off and its the tourists getting pictures who cause the most problems. There is a reason why there are signs saying don't feed the bears. All too often hikers refuse to pack out their trash and start the cycle of identifying humans with food. The bears are generally fine left alone, it's people who cause the problems. Plenty of bears and lions in MO/AR and very few reports of encounters. We're lucky to get game camera pics posted.

Mountain lions are prevalent in wilderness areas and tend to go after small game - unless they get familiarized with runners in remote areas who appear defenseless - aka the female dragged down and killed in CA. Like walking past the Capitol Police waving you in to the Rotunda, pick your time and place for those activities more carefully. No, we do NOT interact with the wilderness well - predators do have advantages.

So far the large caliber handgun is the most comfortable aid to self protection outdoors, and because of that the larger pistols do fine, worn openly and easily accessible. A can of spray should be the same - openly worn and easily accessible, not in the bottom of the pack or out of reach, which is where it's found too often as the Rangers inspect the scene hours later. And them? When investigating a bear or lion attack, they come in armed and dangerous. Usually a .30 rifle or larger, without fail.

That is a standard to be accepted in the wilderness, bears and lions are the lowest risks, drug farmers, feral dogs, snakes, and insects rank a lot higher. I've rarely if ever gone outdoors hiking without a firearm, most rural landowners won't either. I've had friends lose family members to gunfire in the wilderness and it's a minimum of a 9mm for me. As the budget permits, I will buy a Mossberg Shockwave. The rest of the time is in No Tick season after a hard freeze, and that means a deer rifle.

Bear spray only handles a few low risk issues, the bigger problems require tick repellant and a gun.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like walking past the Capitol Police waving you in to the Rotunda

Nothing like politics in an apolitical discussion

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do not interject politics into apolitical threads. This is most unwelcome in this forum.

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’ve not seen it, bears can move faster than you think possible. Make noise and keep your head up. I might be overreacting but, depending on the area, I carry bear spray in my hand.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lion attack as we speak

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...ol3L?ocid=uxbndlbing

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Lion attack as we speak

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...ol3L?ocid=uxbndlbing

That must have been one hell of a fight between a mountain lion and a Belgian Malinois

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Hope that good little dug makes it … flipping hero dog! Should rename you bad ass!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Don't underestimate a mountain lion.
Below is from 2015 in New Mexico.

PINOS ALTOS, N.M. -- New Mexico Department of Game and Fish officers and U.S.D.A. Wildlife Services agents used dogs and snares this week in a continuing effort to find or catch a mountain lion that killed and apparently ate parts of a Pinos Altos man last week.

Medical investigators confirmed Monday that Robert Nawojski, 55, died from injuries sustained in a mountain lion attack near his home in a wooded area of Pinos Altos north of Silver City. Nawojski, who lived alone in a small mobile home, was believed to have been attacked by the lion late Tuesday or early Wednesday last week. Searchers found his body June 20, a day after his brother reported him missing.

It was determined that Nawojski, who according to relatives like to bathe and shave on a rock ledge about 60 yards from his house, was attacked just below that ledge. The lion then apparently dragged the body a short distance, and then ate and buried parts of it.

A Department of Game and Fish officer initially was called to the scene Thursday night when a search team looking for Nawojski found a mountain lion near the trailer home. The officer shot and wounded the lion after it would not leave the yard. After the lion ran off, the officer discovered the door to the house open, the water running, and Nawojski's false teeth on the table.

https://www.wildlife.state.nm....8pinosaltoslion.html

Posts: 1556 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
My thought is being able to run faster than your friends ...

Sounds like time for another breakfast with all y’all!

See who can run the fastest with a gut full of chicken fried steaks and hashbrowns!

I feel comfortable that I can out run both you and Boss ... of course I will cheat somehow to get a head start.

Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to minimize your concerns, but it reminds me of an old joke.

WHEN IN BEAR COUNTRY

Wear jingle bells to alert them of your presence.

Wear brightly colored clothing.

Carry bear spray.

HOW TO IDENTIFY BEAR SPOOR

It has jingle bells and bright pieces of fabric in it, and smells of pepper.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That lion verses dog fight linked above was intense, after coming at the lady owner.

Like many things, very extreme randomness, though one never knows. I like how the dog got in the fight right away. Hopefully a full recovery & can still see.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How does one learn to effectively scan for danger? I think this will be increasingly important as wildlife populations grow and as I go through retirement with more leisure time.

Honestly, I can look around me but I'm not sure if I'm doing it effectively and not sure I would actually detect danger if it was there.

I've heard things like: don't keep moving your eyes while you scan, you're not really focusing. Divide visible areas into sectors and focus on a point in that sector; keep focused on that point for period of time (whatever's necessary) and use peripheral vision for the rest of the sector. Then move your eyes to the next sector.

Seems like there are skills and techniques to better scan for danger around you. How does one learn them?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
HOW TO IDENTIFY BEAR SPOOR

It has jingle bells and bright pieces of fabric in it, and smells of pepper.
Close, but this is how it's meant to be told:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This may be a dumb question, but are whistles, perhaps like the Fox 40 Sonik Blast CMG Whistle, advised for warding off a lion (one that you've caught stalking you)? Or ill advised?