SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Murphy Ladders - Any hands-on experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Murphy Ladders - Any hands-on experience? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I’m a Little Giant fan, but I’m looking for something a little easier to manage for certain things and am intrigued by the folding design of the Murphy Ladder.

Reviews online are mixed.

What says the SigForum brain trust?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I for one have never heard of Murphy ladders. Gong to check them out. I own a Little Giant, and love it! Great design, I keep saying I need a second. Only downfall is weight. Especially the fiberglass version.
When my ass leaves the ground, I like to feel safe!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of them either. Their website says that they are on sale currently.

As I am not a home owner, Iam wondering , does one require three different ladders for three different applications?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54725 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked them out. Interesting, but Home Depot is running a sale on some of the Gorilla ladders.
The Gorilla I compared was only rated for 300# compared to the Murphy’s at 375#.
But the Gorilla is 4’ longer and on sale for $99 compared to Murphy at $219.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It wasn't a Murphy, but my neighbor, at our old house, had a 20ft [or maybe 24ft] folding ladder, or a similar style.
Folded in half & had 2 sliding sections that gave it the extension.

Extremely heavy compared to my 28ft extension ladder & bounced a lot when fully extended.
But, it was stable once you were up, just a little unnerving going up with it springing a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15405 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 Foot Werner Fiberglass, after a few years a manufacturing flaw appeared as one of the legs came loose when the fiberglass failed around a rivet that was installed too close to the edge, calls to Werner about the defect didn't result in any concern about it or replacement.

Tossed it and got a Little Giant 8ft, it's light, easy to get around the house, has a secure leg locking system, and you can flip the back leg straight up doubling the height it can reach.

Neighbor has a Murphy style, it's heavy, hard to move around when folded, borrowed it once and since it folded into a smaller package it's actually IMHO heavier feeling to move. We used the golf cart to haul it two houses over vs trying to carry it by hand, probably more due to the design of it in the folded position concentrating all the weight into a small package.

I'm not a fan of it but he is.

El Linkage

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I also have one of these. Telescoping 12.5ft.
Light & easy to maneuver, a bit of a chore to fully extend, but has been great around the house

It is MIC [Made in China], if you're wanting to avoid that.

https://www.amazon.com/Yvan-Te...7883782-9064766?th=1

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15405 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one of those big ass 26 ft reach Gorilla ladders. Multiple position, 375lb capacity. Real sturdy but at 54lbs, it's heavy. The weight makes it using it, storing it a chore. Great quality. Just don't think that you will open it up to the 26 ft length and slap it up on a wall. An extension ladder would be a better for wall work.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
Only downfall is weight.
When my ass leaves the ground, I like to feel safe!

I ask myself every time I cart my little giant around, “How in the hell does that 5’6” 120lb female move that ladder around in the infomercial so damn easy?”

I also have a Murphy, it has not failed me yet but it’s not the quality of a little giant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4845 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The demonstrator guy at Costco offers wheels for the little giant to roll it around

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54725 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post