SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outside Keypad garage openers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outside Keypad garage openers? Login/Join 
posted
Got locked out the other day. Extra key was in the garage but door was closed and cars were locked as well.
See that my Genie door opener has a wireless keypad available.

Any downside to those outside openers?

Posts: 1661 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Had one on every house since I was a kid.
Only downside is it is another battery to remember to swap yearly.
That or do one of the keypad dead bolts. Not a bad idea to have both incase the power goes out or the battery dies.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Nope. You set a 4 or 6 digit code. It is as secure as the handheld opener in your car, meaning it is theoretically hackable but not a likely thing for normal people.

Replace the battery every 6 months along with smoke detectors, so it isn't dead when you need it.

We get a couple of years out of a 9v, fwiw, but we also have several other access options so I don't worry about it.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been considering this as I read the thread about secure keypad deadbolts.

Which would be generally more secure for a garage - keypad deadbolt (like those mentioned in the other thread) or wireless garage door opening keypad?

I may supplement by putting a 'person detection' camera in the garage as well since I don't have security in the garage (like I do indoors).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Battery replacement is the only downside. The one I have currently has a dead battery, but it rarely gets used. I have a front door key hidden, so I rarely use the keypad if I find myself locked out....It's been years since I've locked myself out.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine seems to collect earwigs and spiders, other than that, no downside.

Posts: 930 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a MyQ on each of my garage doors. I can control from anywhere with my iPhone.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has saved me a few times.

Posts: 6912 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Had one on every house since I was a kid.

Same here.

quote:
Only downside is it is another battery to remember to swap yearly.

Or there are some that you can hard wire in.

Even if you go wireless, in my experience, a single 9V battery in a keypad easily lasts a decade or more. So no need to swap yearly.

quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I have a MyQ on each of my garage doors. I can control from anywhere with my iPhone.

I have that in my latest house as well. It's good to have options. Normal opener remote as primary. Cell phone as a backup. Keypad as a backup to the backup. Front door key as a backup to the backup backup. Big Grin

The MyQ system also lets you monitor the open/closed status of the garage door at any time. So you don't have to wonder: "Did I put the door down?" And you can also use it to remotely open/shut the garage door if you need to let someone in your house while you're not there, without having to give out your garage door code. Plus it keeps a log of all openings and closings, so you can see stuff like "What time did my teenager actually get home last night" or similar.

You can go even further, and do stuff like provide Amazon/Walmart/etc. access to your MyQ opener so they can leave deliveries inside the garage. (I don't choose to do that, for obvious reasons.)

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have smart garage door opener, smart front and back door locks. Kids and fiance have access via apps on their phones. Very low chance of getting locked out, which did happen to us years ago before all the smart IOT devices.

To me, it's much harder to hack these devices than picking deadbolts, which took literally a few seconds by the teenager who worked for a local locksmith that we called. Unbelievably easy for him.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Garage doors are notoriously unsecured… The biggest element being the disconnect pull under opener. Super easy to grab that thing with a wire/code hanger and unlock your garage. (Gaining access to your house through the interior door.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
To me, it's much harder to hack these devices than picking deadbolts, which took literally a few seconds by the teenager who worked for a local locksmith that we called. Unbelievably easy for him.

Yeah, the average residential door locks are shockingly easy to pick/bump open with just some simple tools.

Literally anyone with access to a basic lockpick kit (or a spare key and a metal file), Youtube, and a little free time to practice can learn how to easily break into most houses by defeating the locks.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Garage doors are notoriously unsecured… The biggest element being the disconnect pull under opener. Super easy to grab that thing with a wire/code hanger and unlock your garage. (Gaining access to your house through the interior door.)
I have the MyQ same as those mentioned above, the unit I have came with a bolt lock on the track, actually supports the use of 2, one on each side. Also, I have the direct drive wall mount version, ya ain't tuggin on that rope and getting anywhere...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
MyQ here too
We also have deadbolt on 3 doors connected to the alarm panel. Keypad unlock or can lock/unlock from the panel or my phone.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have the keypad, which works well. I've also been considering getting the WiFi module so I can use a phone app, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Don’t make the keypad code the same as your alarm code and/or gate code.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Don’t make the keypad code the same as your alarm code and/or gate code.
Use "1234" -- it's easy to remember.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Yup, easy way in for a burglar. I zip tied my garage pull to the hardware. If I need to disconnect the door from the track, I can get a set of dykes and clip the zip tie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We have had one for 13 years with no issues. I think I replaced the battery once but can't remember when. Checked it recently and it's still good.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Like others I had one at my house and it was extremely convenient to have. A garage offers a wide variety of places to conceal a house key where it would be virtually impossible for a thief to find too in case you need it, or if you need a friend or neighbor to get in.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post