SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of tree is this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of tree is this? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I've got two trees way close together in the yard... one, I think is crepe myrtle and the other I can't identify. What do you know, SF?

Crepe (I think):

Base

Flower

Unknown:
Base

Leaf and flower

It's a crummy picture, but the base (trunk) of the unknown one is very rough -- almost shaggy -- compared to the smooth bark on the crepe.

God bless America.

Posts: 13516 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like rose of Sharon.

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jrflyfish1:

Yes, I would agree, I have a small white Rose of Sharon next to my house as well.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
The 2 bottom photos are Rose of Sharon.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes, some are rose of Sharon. It's pretty much a weed. The other one, no clue, could be a crape myrtle, but they come in all colors and they can look very different.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I once dated a girl called "Creepy Mertle".
Oh, wait... wrong thread ..

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jrflyfish1:

Three minutes from question to solid answer. This place is awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Too much information, sir! Eek Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
It's pretty much a weed.

Perhaps that preempts the next question: how to take care of it? Both are overhanging my deck stairs, so there's definitely some trimming to be done. If this is basically a weed, then perhaps there's no real value in keeping it? (I'm cool with cutting/digging it out.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13516 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
The first is Orange Jessamine according to Google Lens

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Crape Myrtle - top

Rose of Sharon - bottom

0:01

Posts: 4214 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Crape Myrtle - top

Rose of Sharon - bottom
This is the correct identification. Each of these may be a particular cultivar with a more particular varietal name, but the basic ID is this.

Crape Myrtles are noble ornamental plants that deserve a place in almost every Southern planting.

Rose of Sharon can be pretty, but are usually a weed that is a poor substitute for almost any other flowering shrub. Once they are established, they are very hard to eradicate. They do have the advantage of being able to thrive in poor soils and otherwise difficult locations.

Just my opinion, I have both in my yard.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Yep the top one is a crape myrtle.

Posts: 18046 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The National Arboretum in DC developed some of the early Crape Myrtles and give them Indian names.

https://usna.usda.gov/science/icra/lagerstroemia/a/

LAGERSTROEMIA
Lagerstroemia ‘Acoma’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Apalachee’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Arapaho’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Biloxi’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Caddo’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia indica ‘Catawba’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia indica ‘Cherokee’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Cheyenne’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Chickasaw’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Choctaw’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Comanche’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia indica ‘Conestoga’ (common crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Hopi’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia fauriei ‘Kiowa’ (Japanese crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Lipan’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Miami’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Muskogee’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Natchez’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Osage’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Pecos’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Pocomoke’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia indica ‘Potomac’ (common crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia indica ‘Powhatan’ (common crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia indica ‘Seminole’ (common crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Sioux’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Tonto’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Tuscarora’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Tuskegee’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Wichita’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Yuma’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)
Lagerstroemia ‘Zuni’ (hybrid crapemyrtle)

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It's pretty much a weed.

Perhaps that preempts the next question: how to take care of it? Both are overhanging my deck stairs, so there's definitely some trimming to be done. If this is basically a weed, then perhaps there's no real value in keeping it? (I'm cool with cutting/digging it out.)

They are prolific spreaders. I have two. Both are there to hide things like electrical meter. They need weeding below them and trimming every year or two. The other downside is they drop large flowers in your beds/lawn.

For me the value of keeping them is the cost of replacement plants. They do what I need them to do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
They're not weeds, they are beautiful landscape plants. If they are healthy they will give lots of pretty color.

I just purchased 1 new crepe myrtle, a new-ish variety with very dark leaves, and 1 new Rose Of Sharon (Althea), going to get them both planted in a few days.

I don't know where you live, or the climate there, but they should grow well almost anywhere, depending on variety.

Trim as required, they are vigorous plants.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The bottom one is a Rose of Sharon. My wife has them.

I'll show her the post and have her ID them, she's a green goddess with plants.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, let's not be joshing about my cousin Mertle!
(Just cause she occupies more than one branch of our family tree doesn't make her weird - well, then again.........)

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It's pretty much a weed.

They are prolific spreaders. I have two. Both are there to hide things like electrical meter. They need weeding below them and trimming every year or two. The other downside is they drop large flowers in your beds/lawn.

For me the value of keeping them is the cost of replacement plants. They do what I need them to do.

This is the path if you want to avoid removing them. I have them in the yard (from the previous owner) and trimming the tops to include the seed bearing pods BEFORE they dry and open to spread seeds is key. They will develop blooms the following season which insects and hummingbirds like, so all you are doing is managing them. You won’t kill or harm them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get another pic this evening -- these two are very close together, in a fairly small spot. My next question will be about trimming and maintaining them in that space.

Thanks, all, for your help!

God bless America.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Probably just best not to go into detail about HER rough/shaggy base...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We have 10 Crepe Myrtle in our yard, 4 varieties, mixed colors. They get trimmed/pruned in late February.

We have one Rose of Sharon that we prune every other year.

Don't ask how many Knock-Out Roses we have.

How to trim Crepe Myrtles

How to prune Rose of Sharon

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post