SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stuck lightbulb
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck lightbulb Login/Join 
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
This won't help your problem now, but to prevent this issue I put a bit of silicone grease on the threads of light bulbs to make them easy to unscrew. I get it from the "plumbing" section of Home Depot.

I spray a little WD40 on a papertowel and rub it into the threads. This makes the bulb easier to screw in and unscrew when it's time to replace it.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've used a piece of rubber (neoprene) or polyethylene to get a grip on the face of the bulb. Otherwise, bust it and get the guts out with the breaker off.

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:

15' ceiling height makes no sense. Likely is 18-20'. Standard 8' height ceilings x 2 = 16', plus 18"-24" floor joists = 17.5'. Newer homes which Dallas just moved into one, are usually 9' or more ceilings. A 16' ladder is the correct one for the job unless it's not a full two stories.

He said it was a cathedral ceiling.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlREIwB6NS0
It looks like his problem is that the grabber was slipping. I've got a suction cup grabber that holds fast, it's just rotating the whole trim.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's really not that hard to find a 10-12' ladder somewhere....I'm sure if his neighbors have a similar house, one of them must have a ladder.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:
quote:

15' ceiling height makes no sense. Likely is 18-20'. Standard 8' height ceilings x 2 = 16', plus 18"-24" floor joists = 17.5'. Newer homes which Dallas just moved into one, are usually 9' or more ceilings. A 16' ladder is the correct one for the job unless it's not a full two stories.

He said it was a cathedral ceiling.

I should have posted a picture.

That's my 8' ladder under the light. I believe the furdown begins at 9'. No idea how high the peak is (the light's halfway up), but no second story on this part of the house, and no attic, just joists between the ceiling and roof.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Have you tried cussing at it?
All seven words.

quote:
A 10 or 12 foot ladder would be sufficient. LED replacements and if you're lucky (I'm not), you'll never need to replace them ever again.
See the picture with the 8' ladder. I think I'll have to hunt down a sixteen footer.

I have an extension ladder, but I don't think there's a way to make that work.

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you called our company to do it you would be looking at $425.00 Two electricians 1 hr labor, plus we charge $75 for the ladder. I'd suggest having replacement LED lamps for that one and the remaining fixtures. If you skipped out on the lamp changing it would still be $325.00 just for us to change the one bulb.

Why two electricians? I am self employed I understand the cost factor. I guess I would be looking at having them do other electrical stuff when they came over.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just figured it out. Probably need four electricians. One to hold the bulb and three to turn the ladder. Sorry, I could not resist.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Unfortunately there is no solution to this. You must do it from a ladder.

If you called our company to do it you would be looking at $425.00 Two electricians 1 hr labor, plus we charge $75 for the ladder. I'd suggest having replacement LED lamps for that one and the remaining fixtures. If you skipped out on the lamp changing it would still be $325.00 just for us to change the one bulb.
This is really what I was afraid of. Under normal circumstances I'd call and both at the guy who put it in, but I doubt the goniff who wired the house (aka defendant #2) would be very helpful...

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
Slowly turn in in the tighten direction and get the momentum of the fixture going....then quickly change direction to the left...

Same technique I use to tighten lug nuts when the vehicle is in the air.

Posts: 764 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you climb onto the beam and hold onto the joist going to the ceiling and reach it?

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Can you climb onto the beam and hold onto the joist going to the ceiling and reach it?
From the top of the ladder, I might be able to get on the beam. I'd have to ask the architect if it would holds me. These two are not structural.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Home Depot with a tool rental department near you? Hopefully it would not be too expensive to rent a taller ladder for a few hours.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate_M:
Slowly turn in in the tighten direction and get the momentum of the fixture going....then quickly change direction to the left...

Same technique I use to tighten lug nuts when the vehicle is in the air.
Holy crap, this worked! I figured since my alternative was going up there on the ladder, no point in being gentle, so I kind of jerked it back and forth. On the fifth or six jerk it came loose. Hopefully no wires or anything else came loose inside. The trim's a little bit floppier than it was, but no one will notice.

So, any recommendations for a nice warm LED flood bulb?

BTW, this is the bulb changer I used, and I can recommend it wholeheartedly, as long as you have smooth bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/STAUBER...-Large/dp/B0141K282M

Si vis pacem para bellum

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Do you have a Home Depot with a tool rental department near you? Hopefully it would not be too expensive to rent a taller ladder for a few hours.
I'm in a different part of Texas than the OP, and my local Home Depot rents 14' stepladders for $28 for 4 hrs and $12 more for the whole day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23283 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Enjoy your accomplishment.

posted Hide Post
Yeah the appropriate sized CREE 2700K (warm white)

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an extension ladder, but I don't think there's a way to make that work.

For future reference. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Why two electricians? I am self employed I understand the cost factor. I guess I would be looking at having them do other electrical stuff when they came over.

16' ladder is unwieldy. Besides the length and width it's heavy. I can only carry it a couple feet without setting it down. No way I could open/close doors while carrying it. Also it requires two people to set it up. I won't use anything bigger than a 10' ladder in most houses by myself, 12' if it's wide open.

Yes I would have to guy standing there doing nothing do something, replace loose outlet or add a dimmer. Otherwise you are paying for either .5hr or 1 hr for some guy to carry a ladder for 5 minutes.

====

Glad you got it out Dallas!

====

Holy cow a1a!!! That scares the crap out of me just looking at it!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post