SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPS package insurance question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS package insurance question Login/Join 
posted
I'm going to have to ship out a few guns I will be selling. I understand and will follow all the current laws. Below is the text on the UPS website which I find somewhat confusing. It talks about increasing UPS's liability by declaring a specific value and paying the up-charge. Further down in the paragraph it says "when a shipper declares a value in excess of $100, it does not receive any form of insurance". Why would I pay an upcharge if it doesn't do anything? Here is their text:

To increase UPS’s limit of liability for loss or damage above $100, the Shipper must declare a value in excess of $100 for each Package or pallet in the declared value field of the UPS Source Document or the UPS Automated Shipping System used and pay an additional charge. The Shipper cannot declare a value in excess of the maximum allowable limits set forth below. UPS shall not be liable under any circumstances for an amount in excess of the declared value of a domestic Package or international Shipment, or pallet. When a Shipper declares a value in excess of $100, it does not receive any form of insurance. Shippers desiring cargo insurance, all risk insurance, or another form of insurance should purchase such insurance from a third party. Cargo insurance may be available through UPS’s licensed affiliates UPS Capital Insurance Agency, Inc. and Parcel Pro, Inc

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that they will only cover the replacement cost of the items. They are not liable for any incidental damages arising out of damage to, or loss of, a package.
You also can't put an excessive value on an item. Say a rifle worth $2000 gets lost or damages, but you had declared the value to be $5000. They will pay you $2000, not $5000.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
In the last two months I shipped two long guns USPS, no real issues.

Look over the laws 1st, often those at the front desk have to make calls before they accept. They don’t know the rules very well. I let them check, waited, then shipped with them.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
UPS packages are insured for $99. If you want more insurance it's an upcharge per $100. They will pay out up to the insured amount but it can be a bit of a battle sometimes. If a claim will be filed it's important for the person on the receiving end to save all packaging because UPS will usually want it for their "investigation".

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
My understanding is that they will only cover the replacement cost of the items. They are not liable for any incidental damages arising out of damage to, or loss of, a package.
You also can't put an excessive value on an item. Say a rifle worth $2000 gets lost or damages, but you had declared the value to be $5000. They will pay you $2000, not $5000.

This.

UPS charges $0.75 per hundred dollars of insurance (declared value).

Never ship guns ground. NDA or 2DA. There is more internal security and tracking/accountability for those shipments.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a Shipper declares a value in excess of $100, it does not receive any form of insurance

My question is what is the meaning of the above statement in their explanation of their company policy? Doesn't the statement imply this is not insurance? If you are really purchasing insurance, why doesn't UPS call it insurance?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:

This.

UPS charges $0.75 per hundred dollars of insurance (declared value).

Never ship guns ground. NDA or 2DA. There is more internal security and tracking/accountability for those shipments.

I ship all my long guns UPS ground, after 9 years no problems. There’s always a first though.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
quote:
When a Shipper declares a value in excess of $100, it does not receive any form of insurance

My question is what is the meaning of the above statement in their explanation of their company policy? Doesn't the statement imply this is not insurance? If you are really purchasing insurance, why doesn't UPS call it insurance?

Think it's their legalize way of saying only the first $100 is covered by the normal fee. If you have an item worth more you need to purchase the supplemental insurance. F'in lawyers. :-)

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post