SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New WiFi standard: WiFi 6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New WiFi standard: WiFi 6 Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“The next generation of WiFi is officially underway.

On Monday, the WiFi Alliance, an organization in charge of setting standards for WiFi across the world, began anointing the first certified WiFi 6 devices said to be a faster and more capable WiFi technology than ever before.

Though the standard -- a mix of new hardware and software -- has been slowly implemented throughout the last year, the first certifications mark an unprecedented stamp of approval for WiFi 6 and will likely herald in a more widespread adoption…”

https://mol.im/a/7470605

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8975 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Now if we could only get fiber optic internet access standardized across the US, or ensure that I can still get a cell signal when I'm in a bathroom.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I need to upgrade my wifi at home to improve it out at the pool. I suppose I should look for 6 compliant stuff to do that. However I have no idea how to proceed. Pool deck is ~200 feet from my current wifi router.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I need to upgrade my wifi at home to improve it out at the pool. I suppose I should look for 6 compliant stuff to do that. However I have no idea how to proceed. Pool deck is ~200 feet from my current wifi router.

Good number of reviews / articles on line. Stuff isn't cheap though.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/...est-wi-fi-6-routers/
You'd probably be well advised to look at a tri-band mesh system.

I say all this while still running a basic ~8 yo 2.4GHz router in my tri-level home's lowest level. Recently found I needed a range extender for my newly acquired masterbedroom smarttv on the third floor to reliably connect. Ironically cellphones were connecting fine there without the extender. Frown I have reliable whole home coverage now for everything with it but can see the need to get a dual bander at least if not these newer tri-band jobs some time in the future.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16226 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're not opposed to work, grab a shovel and run conduit and CAT5/6 underground out to the pool area. Then install a weatherproof WAP somewhere around the pool and you should be good to go.

And quite frankly, I'd forego the WiFi 6 stuff for now as its brand new tech, meaning most of your existing hardware is likely to be incapable of fully taking advantage of the throughput advantages WiFi 6 brings to the table.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn't get all worked up about this just yet.
Plus the same basic principles still apply and a new standard doesn't make it magically go farther (range).
Basically a directional antenna could potentially solve your problem.
Physical placement is one of the most effective ways to improve wifi performance.
YMMV

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
...or ensure that I can still get a cell signal when I'm in a bathroom.
I'd love to get a cell signal ANYWHERE in my house! Thank goodness for phones that are capable of WiFi calling. "Hell...I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Seems to me no interweb access in the pool is a good thing, kids forced to actually play in the pool and not check messages, same for parents.

Look at it as the family time pool, even if sitting there with a drink, cigar you have to talk to someone or your self, read a book, lookit the stars,

ok ok ok... I get it, you can only talk to the family so much.... LOL

Upgrade to a mesh router system, Orbi is good and they have an outdoor model as well...

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
If you're not opposed to work, grab a shovel and run conduit and CAT5/6 underground out to the pool area. Then install a weatherproof WAP somewhere around the pool and you should be good to go.

And quite frankly, I'd forego the WiFi 6 stuff for now as its brand new tech, meaning most of your existing hardware is likely to be incapable of fully taking advantage of the throughput advantages WiFi 6 brings to the table.

Honestly, I don't think 200 feet outdoors with no obstructions is all that bad. An outdoor access point mounted on the side of the house facing the pool would probably be plenty.

Certainly it would be if you used a directional antenna with the access point.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Why not just get a wi-fi extender? Something like the TP-Link | AC750 WiFi Range Extender. Plug it into an electrical outlet between your router and pool (indoors!), press a button, and presto! The best news? It's $25 at Amazon.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Seems to me no interweb access in the pool is a good thing, kids forced to actually play in the pool and not check messages, same for parents.

ok ok ok... I get it, you can only talk to the family so much.... LOL

Well, the wife an I both depend on wifi calling for cell phone service here...

...and not the kids so much as the parents / guests, mostly family members killing time while their kids swim...

Pool is 120 feet from the closest corner of the house, but ~200 feet from the router. with the bulk of the house in the way blocking it. Router is close to its heaviest use points. An access point or something on / near the gable end would work. Is there anything that would survive in the attic? Simply moving the router closer would not work because I think the signal would drop at the other end of the house / garage too much. I now have it positioned to work well where it is used the most.

Just last summer I ran power and water out to the pool... dumb me never thought about wifi then, but there was no deck until now either. A mini trencher rental is less than 50 bucks a day, I kind of wanted to run some drip irrigation lines as well anyway so thats an option.

My current router is a 3TB Apple Time Machine, several years old. I thought I might remove the wifi duties from it and continue using it for my automatic backups only.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a cat 7 outdoor cable is $75.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Ether...aterproof/B07G78V2QF

Just cut a slit trench 6" and you are good to go.

Or you can go Engenius outdoor access points that should be able to easily go 200 ft clear line of sight.

https://www.engeniustech.com/o...roduct/enstationac-k

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Why not just get a wi-fi extender? Something like the TP-Link | AC750 WiFi Range Extender. Plug it into an electrical outlet between your router and pool (indoors!), press a button, and presto! The best news? It's $25 at Amazon.

I have an extender now that I use to get to my side porch and it basically stinks. Always giving me problems and needing to be reset.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:

I have an extender now that I use to get to my side porch and it basically stinks. Always giving me problems and needing to be reset.

I'm running an old Linksys E1200 router (that despite its age has a 2.4GHz range that most all newer dual banders can only wish for) and a Linksys AC750 (RE6300) Gigabit range extender repeater without any issues.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16226 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Now if we could only get fiber optic internet access standardized across the US, or ensure that I can still get a cell signal when I'm in a bathroom.

why do you need cell service in your bathroom?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post