SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legal to hold a thief at gun point waiting for police?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal to hold a thief at gun point waiting for police? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
A 22 to the ass is a great deterrent!

If all you want is a deterrent, a 12 gauge full of rock salt works way better.

A 12 gauge slug is even better. Once thieves learn you deterred one of their number into a hole in the ground, most, not all but most, get the message.

A large spitting cobra nestled on the front seat also deters thieves.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31431 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While holding them at gunpoint, say this:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I do not in fact know what state law is on defending property or trying to detain a suspect by force. I don't believe I would want to do it, however. If he books, there is nothing you can do. If you're trying to fiddle with a phone while still keeping him in your sights, he could use this to come at you. Maybe you'll get a shot off, maybe not. I think I'd rather be a good witness.

As for shooting with rock salt, I'm pretty sure this would be a big no-no. If the situation didn't justify deadly force to defend your life, it didn't justify shooting at all. Add on top of that intent to maim or inflict pain, I think it would go very badly for you.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if you walked outside with a sword, and a pistol in your pocket. I would think a thief would be more scared of a sword than a pistol, and would choose a different area to break into next time.

If a pistol was in an OWB belt holster, that would not be brandishing would it? However in many areas once outside of a gated area or off of a porch, one might need a CCW permit.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Pointing a gun at someone who isn't an imminent threat to your life and whom you "don't plan to shoot" sounds legally sketchy and practically foolish.
If this guy is a real predator he's going to try to sucker you and get that gun once he decides you're not happy with the idea of shooting him. I heard an instructor once say "It's not the gun that backs them down. It's the resolute look they see in your eyes. Anything else just tells them they're about to get a free gun" and I believed him.

Hell, even if you do shoot him, if he him rushes you, dirtbags are now going to court saying "He was pointing a gun at me! I was scared for my life! Of course I tried to take the gun away, for my safety!" And that was a cop, not a civilian.

There's nothing in my car I would kill or die for.

Motion sensor lights. Alarms. Fences and garages.

My .02

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is going to depend VASTLY on state and local laws, and. even more, on the attitude of the local prosecutor. In more anti-gun jurisdictions, the burglar may end up walking, and the car owner with the gun ending up getting arrested and prosecuted. Except for maybe the most pro-gun states (which I'm defining as those with Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine type laws on the books), I'd bet that the prosecutor could make a good argument, at leas to the point of meeting the probable cause hurtle, that pointing a gun at someone in a auto break in situation constitutes assault with a deadly weapon, if the prosecutor so desires.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm shocked to hear that the criminal justice systems are worse somewhere else.

Oh, absolutely, and this place is one of the worst. Anyone entertaining even a vague thought of moving here should definitely reconsider. Please, please do yourself - and especially your family - a big favor and stay right where you are.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
under the post Ferguson laws, the suspects don't see any jail time until they rack up around 18 cases on them.

Wait, WHAT?! Dafuq?!?

A bunch of delinquents ruin a fucking city, on national television, and the response of the justice system is to LITERALLY give them 18 chances?

What in the SAM hell kind of sense does that make? If I were running that shitshow you guys would be under orders to kneecap someone for spitting on the fucking sidewalk!

It isn't the Justice System's fault in my area, it is a little thing known as Senate Bill 5 which was passed after the Ferguson Riots. It was suppose to overhaul the Municipal Court System but ended up gutting it in St. Louis County. Even the idiots at the Arch Defenders group (group of super liberal attorneys... quite a few were hired by Obama's Justice Department in the last couple years.) agree that there has to be some sort of consequences for people who don't pay their fines or show up for court.

On the the guy who had 18 pending cases, he wanted to plead guilty to his cases and the judge wanted to give him jail time. Under MO Senate Bill 5 Court Revisions, the suspect could only receive jail time IF the suspect is represented by an attorney. Since the suspect is basically a homeless heroin addict, the city had to pay for his public defender so the judge could accept the suspect's guilty plea and give him the jail time. The suspect actually remarked the jail time would help clean up his heroin habit so when he gets out in 30 days, he will start all over again with his habit; ie lowering his $200 a day habit to $50 a day when he gets out.

We were told last month a new thing is coming. For Municipal Court Security, we have uniformed officers letting people in and a uniformed officer as the Court Bailiff. Apparently having a UNIFORMED Officer as the Court Bailiff is too intimidating; so the rule coming down is the officer working as a bailiff is going to have be in normal clothing.

It is the world that Obama, Holder, and Lynch have left us. I mean Holder's Just Us Department came up with unconscious bias (when they couldn't find anything real) to force the Seattle Police Department into a Consent Decree.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although it’s been alluded to, something that also needs to be made clear is that if the police show up, there will be two stories told. If all the guy did was approach the car, even having a video isn’t going to prove anything. If there’s no video that makes it clear that a break-in occurred, then what’s the subject going to say? “Yes, officer he got me. I was going to break into the car and steal anything I wanted”?

Or is this more likely? “Thank God you’re here, officer. I was just walking by and this nut comes running out, stuck a gun in my face, and said he was going to kill me. He was ranting about me breaking into this car, but I just stopped to look at it and had no intention of committing a crime. I want to press charges against this guy before he kills someone for no reason.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47400 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Legal to hold a thief at gun point waiting for police?

All they have to say is "I was just walking by & heard the window break". You will be charged with aggravated assault if you point a gun at them. I saw it happen to a neighbor here in Nashville.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This is why we can't have nice things.

Posts: 26896 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post