SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Furnace repair/replace dilemma with bonus AC question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Furnace repair/replace dilemma with bonus AC question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
R407A is NOT compatible with mineral oil. Therefore NOT a drop in refrigerant.
Look it up.

WyoRobert, considering the age of the system, I suggest you replace the motor, Then plan on a complete system replacement with matched componets, professionally installed, on your timetable.

Posts: 254 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Just saw a piece on the news last night regards R-22. Local HVAC guy said no longer manufactured after 12/31/19, so whatever is on hand at that point will be the end of it. Expecting prices for it to double or triple until it's gone. Also said conversion to 410A was an option assuming that the coil was still viable.

Jan 1, 2020 is the date. But there's plenty of stock piles and refrigerant recycling programs.
You can NOT convert a 22 system over to 410.

You can run 407A in an R22, simply by evacuating the R22 and refilling with 407A it's a direct drop in that uses the same oil. While you can still get R22, it's hellified expensive and most outfits charge $65+ per pound for it. Last price I got on R22 30lb canister was $900 ($30 per pound) and that was over a year ago. I've never found recycled refrigerant to be as good as virgin. 407A is a direct drop in replacement and not banned, however it is only about 85% as efficient as R22. I went the other direction with 6 units filled with 407A on a yacht and filled them with R22 about 5 years ago, because they didn't have enough cooling capacity to keep the yacht. With 407A the units temps out of the vents were 56-58F and after swapping to R22 44-48F, and the new replacement 410 units are putting out 34-36F out of the vents, very short ductwork, same size btu units. If a unit is R22, and 10 years old or more and needs over $1000 in repairs, I just change the entire unit out.

Don't know why you used the quote button instead of the reply button.

407 is NOT 410
407 is NOT a drop in replacement for a 22 system running on mineral oil.

You're also confusing 407a (refrigeration) with 407c (air conditioning).

This is stationary residential equipment and not marine.
Someday, maybe you'll understand there's a difference.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Just saw a piece on the news last night regards R-22. Local HVAC guy said no longer manufactured after 12/31/19, so whatever is on hand at that point will be the end of it. Expecting prices for it to double or triple until it's gone. Also said conversion to 410A was an option assuming that the coil was still viable.

Jan 1, 2020 is the date. But there's plenty of stock piles and refrigerant recycling programs.
You can NOT convert a 22 system over to 410.

You can run 407A in an R22, simply by evacuating the R22 and refilling with 407A it's a direct drop in that uses the same oil. While you can still get R22, it's hellified expensive and most outfits charge $65+ per pound for it. Last price I got on R22 30lb canister was $900 ($30 per pound) and that was over a year ago. I've never found recycled refrigerant to be as good as virgin. 407A is a direct drop in replacement and not banned, however it is only about 85% as efficient as R22. I went the other direction with 6 units filled with 407A on a yacht and filled them with R22 about 5 years ago, because they didn't have enough cooling capacity to keep the yacht. With 407A the units temps out of the vents were 56-58F and after swapping to R22 44-48F, and the new replacement 410 units are putting out 34-36F out of the vents, very short ductwork, same size btu units. If a unit is R22, and 10 years old or more and needs over $1000 in repairs, I just change the entire unit out.

Don't know why you used the quote button instead of the reply button.

407 is NOT 410
407 is NOT a drop in replacement for a 22 system running on mineral oil.

You're also confusing 407a (refrigeration) with 407c (air conditioning).

This is stationary residential equipment and not marine.
Someday, maybe you'll understand there's a difference.

410 is what I replace R22 units with. It is the new standard Freon and what the new units use and I know it is not compatible with 407A or R22. You can put R22 in a system that had 407A in it and the oil is compatible. Stationary residential uses much of the same exact stuff and principles as Marine. Marine is more advanced than stationary residential and uses Freon to water heat exchange instead of Freon to air, but many similarities. While you cannot mix R22, 407a, 407C. You can use them in the same system if the R22 (or other two) have been evacuated.

See page 11 on compatibility.
https://www.chemours.com/Refri...7c-push-bulletin.pdf

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
410 is what I replace R22 units with. It is the new standard Freon and what the new units use

No kidding... Sherlock Holmes.

quote:
and I know it is not compatible with 407A or R22.

Which is why quoting my post was irrelevant. Roll Eyes

quote:
While you cannot mix R22, 407a, 407C. You can use them in the same system if the R22 (or other two) have been evacuated.

False, as 407 is not compatible with mineral oil. Read the document you linked below:

quote:

Page 13

Note that HCFC-22/mineral oil and HCFC-22/alkylbenzene
liquid phase miscibility are listed for reference. In general,
HCFC-22 and mineral oil are miscible over most of the
expected ranges of operating conditions for normal air
conditioning and high to medium temperature operation.
HCFC-22 and alkylbenzene are miscible over a much wider
range of temperatures. Miscibility is generally believed to
aid lubricant return to the compressor. Therefore, it may be
desirable in a retrofit of an existing system of this type to
use a miscible lubricant with Freon™ HFC refrigerants. In
general, Freon™ HFC refrigerants, such as Freon™ 407C
and Freon™ 407A, are miscible with polyol ester lubricant
and immiscible with alkylbenzene and mineral oil lubricant.

Another important point is that residual mineral oil or
alkylbenzene left in a refrigeration system after a retrofit to
any HFC refrigerant is performed decreases the lubricant/
refrigerant miscibility. This is one of the reasons why three
oil changes are generally recommended when a system is
being converted or retrofitted to use HFC refrigerants and
POE lubricants.

Nice try.

posted Hide Post
Ummmm yeah you evacuate the unit and the oil, and of course flush the mineral oil out of the system to go from R22 to 407A or C (sorry for not mentioning that), and you can use POE oil and 407A or C in a R22 unit or POE oil and R22. I only went backwards with it and switched six units from 407A (built that way) to R22 and had POE oil which is compatible with R22 because there wasn't enough cooling capacity, so there was no need to flush the system and oil on each unit, just simply evacuate the 407A, run the units on a vacuum pump and recharge with R22.

edited to add: You are right I inadvertently put you can use the same oil in my initial post. I was thinking of going from 407A to R22 in my mind (and the POE oil is compatible with R22) and forgetting that I was talking about going in a different direction, R22 to 407 A or C. But needless to say, the Freon itself is compatible with the same equipment. I've heard of lots of techs putting 407A or C in an R22 without changing the oil and it working, but I wouldn't do it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can run 407A in an R22, simply by evacuating the R22 and refilling with 407A it's a direct drop in that uses the same oil.

Evacuating a system is just that, evacuating the non condensibles from a sealed system.
It has never meant removing the compresser to dump the oil out and flushing the system.

quote:
edited to add: You are right I inadvertently put you can use the same oil in my initial post. I was thinking of going from 407A to R22 in my mind (and the POE oil is compatible with R22) and forgetting that I was talking about going in a different direction, R22 to 407 A or C

Marine vs stationary residential equipment. Wink

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
1997?

You had a good 22 year run which is over the average. Time for a new system.

At my first place I owned, my Trane made it from 1989 (when the condo complex was built) to 2012, so 23 years.

Isn't the average like 15, maybe 20 years?

Just to give you an idea of how much more efficient these new systems are; at our current house we replaced a circa-1988 Trane last July with a Lennox system.

My electric usage in June 2018: 1,600 KwH
My electric usage in June 2019: 650 KwH*

*granted, an electric water heater also went gas for this upgrade, but still that's a HUGE difference!

quote:
Originally posted by dangho731:
R22 patent from DuPont ran out many years ago. Under EPA law, they can't manufacture new virgin R22. The available R22 on the current market is through recycle program.

Which is also making it get more and more expensive each year.

Most of your electricity savings was from switching to a gas water heater. Not from changing out the HVAC system. Most standby electric water heaters run about 3-5 hours a day. And at approximately 4000 to 5000 watts, that adds up fast.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Correct, say about 400 kWh a month for two people. (650+400= 1050)

Then, if you look at the weather data for PA.

June 2018 had 191 cooling degree days

June 2019 had 143 cooling degree days

Which is a 25% reduction in cooling system operation. (1600-1050= 550)
Now reduce the overage by 25% (137.5 kwh, reduced for weather conditions) = 412.5 kWh saved, minus whatever part of the actual bill is for A/C operation at a 33.3% rate. Say 300 kWh used, would be another 99.9 kWh reduction by weather conditions.

So overall, you saved approximately 412.5-99.9= 312.6 kWh by increased efficiency.

237.4 kWh for weather conditions
312.6 kWh for efficiency.

*actual usage figures are of coarse going to vary. Only way to nail them down is to know your load calculation data.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Furnaces can run 40+ years. My dad's just passed the CO test at 29 years, although the return drop has holes in it near the floor, and the flue shows signs of condensation. So the whole thing is rather rotting apart.

The AC, if it is holding pressure, if it continues to be a sealed system, it can last as long as any system you see on cars. Some seem to 'run forever' and others crap out.

I'm in the camp of 'leave it alone'. When someone wants to do a system-wide upgrade, let them choose their own equipment.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your only staying in this house for a few more years. You may want to check into one of those home warranties. I believe they can be had for $400-500 a year.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The OP asked about keeping his old A/C and getting a new furnace installed.
With that, there's no 'requirement' for him to change or buy a new air conditioner.

Virgin R22 will be around for a very long time, recycled even longer. Not to mention all the replacement refrigerants which have been on the market for some time now.
You can still buy 'virgin' R12 and that all started back on Jan 1, 1996. Vehicles began being switched to R134a in 1994.

Freon has nothing to do with it. That's the generic reference to refrigerants. Just like Carrier referencing/marketing R410a as Puron. Chlorine is the culprit.
Theres three categories:
CFC's (includes R12) ban started Jan 1, 1996
HCFC's (includes R22) ban starts Jan 1, 2020
HFC's (includes R410a and R134a) which at this time, isn't being phased out.

Just trying to head of misinterpetations, as there's all kinds of shanagans being told the last few yrs.
One lady was just told her unit needed to be replaced because you could no longer purchase R22. To which she was told her unit contained.
You want to know the real kicker, her system, which was manufactured June 2013 (yes only 6 yrs ago) was manufactrued with R410a refrigerant. It's not only listed twice on the label, written on the side with a black marker and has the pink sticker on the cap with two more R410a printings. The tech was flat out wrong and tried to sell her a complete new system!

When he added the bonus about AC I figured he meant he was looking to replace a heat pump type unit vs separate units since the additional question about R22.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WyoRobert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice and replies folks.

I went with the same course of action hvactech suggested and replaced the blower motor.
The stuff is 20 years old, so I'm aware it may not last too long, but I think it will be long enough at least to find out if we're staying long enough to be worth replacing it.

The tech said it was really cruddy in there as well and he said that probably made a contribution to the motor failing. The house was empty for a couple years before we bought it, so it might have had something living in it. I didn't examine what he cleaned out. I have also drywalled two large rooms that were plaster and lath, so there was some excessive dirt and dust in the system at some points as well.

Robert
------------------------------------------------

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. -- Marianne Williamson

Posts: 613 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post