SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for fish finder/GPS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for fish finder/GPS Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Just bought a new fishing boat and it came with a low-end Lowrance Hook 3x. Tiny little 3" screen and no GPS function.

I'm looking for something in the 7" (or so) variety with a GPS. Maybe a split screen?

I'm not going to spend $1000+ for some super-duper machine that includes a kitchen sink, but several hundred is certainly do-able.

Any recommendations from the fishermen here?

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have a Humminbird Helix 7 sonar/GPs and love it. Mine is the first gen Ice edition but the second gen with chirp will go from the ice to the boat. You can do split screen and down and side imaging. They just released new maps for some areas. Some of them you can overlay the latest overhead satellite images that will show you structures on the lakes such as locations of docks and rock piles etc.

Garmin products have become very popular in recent years. I like my Humminbird stuff as I have gotten use to the operating system. Visit both sites and look the product overviews then go to You tube and watch hours of video's on reviews and operation. I think the second gen Humminbird might run you about $600 Garmin runs more I believe.

Beware! This stuff will suck you in it's digital crack! You may intend to spend only a few hundred bucks but wind up dropping 2 grand pretty easy!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I also have the Helix 7 with the side imaging sonar and have been very happy with it.

I run the gps in split screen when i'm moving around and the ff in 3 windows while I'm fishing.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3836 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What’s more important - GPS/Maps or the fish finder?

Posts: 17870 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Probably equal, but I'd have to lean toward the fish finder.

I'll be fishing a lot on new water that I know nothing about, so the GPS/maps will come in very handy.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Buy the best Garmin you can afford.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19092 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Bought a 5” Hummingbird Helix with side imaging/GPS a couple of months ago. Very impressed with the clarity of the images. Mounted it on the bow next to the front pedestal seat. Just moved the transducer to the trolling motor with the optional mounting bracket a couple of days ago. I’m sure the 7” will be equally as impressive.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Lorance elite 7. Has downscan with gps. I have an older model (when they first introduced the elite series with downscan since I wasnt spending the money on an HD series) that has been solid. Plus the downscan with the elite series is the all in one transducer unlike the HD series was. I can say split screen is still tough on a 7 inch unit. Basically run just gps when I'm running all out and just downscan when trolling around. I only use this unit on a console though and don't have one up front at the trolling motor since my console is right up against the deck.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Buy the best Garmin you can afford.

I got that same advice at Thanksgiving in the Florida Keys. The problem with it is: Garmin makes at least 20 different models I can afford and with the various transducer options, I have no clue where to even start.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Split screen will be difficult w/ a 7". You can do it, but you lose a lot of resolution. That being said, I realize that physical characteristics of each boat limit the size of the display that would work. I do like the Helix units a lot (I have a Helix 12), they are easy to run (rather intuitive most of the time), reliable and have good support. The Helix units will build you your own lake maps - which is important to me as most mapping companies have left my waters 'off the map'. The H7 unit is good, and if you use the presets, changing screens makes it less necessary to always use a split screen. The imaging is good and the GPS, like most now, has an internal antenna. Like handguns now days, sonar/GPS units provide lots of very good choices. Make a list of features that you need, check off the boxes each manufacturer provides, and buy that one w/o looking as who made it.
s.

Sent an email

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sorenson,

Posts: 293 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
What’s more important - GPS/Maps or the fish finder?

It really depends on where and how you fish.

I mostly fish in shallow (4-8 feet) bays and bayous that are mostly mud bottom without any structure. In that context, the fish finder is pretty useless, except as a depth gauge.

Of course, I also know the area well enough that I don't need a GPS to get around, either, unless I'm trying to do something like go to a submerged oyster reef out in the middle of a big bay.

Fishing offshore or in a deeper bay is a different story.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Something else to consider is the transducer that comes with what ever unit you end up buying.

My Helix 7 came with a standard transducer but I ordered the optional HD transducer separately and used it insteas. Make sure that you get the best transducer for the model you buy even if you have to order it separately.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3836 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you buy make sure it has the newer chirp transducers. A thru hull or in hull transducer is going to read and hold bottom much better than a transom mount transducer at above 7 mph. Transom mounts are extremely hard to get mounted at exactly the perfect height where they'll read while running faster.

Garmin makes a good product and good fish finder that generally, they would be my first choice in regards to the chartplotter function and what you see on most big fishing boats. Lorance seems to be popular with the bass boat crowd and I installed one on a small skiff and liked it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Simrad NSS12 evo 2. Replaced a Lowrance HDS10.. Complete overkill for your needs

Lowrance and Simrad are owned by the same company, Navico, much of the accessories work between each company units. This means there are many 3rd party chartcards available for either units. Garmin is proprietary for cards so updates are when they decide to make them. (still good units)

I'd look at one of the mid-line 7" models available in your budget. That would be more than sufficient for you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I hate this Hook 3 piece of junk.

Had it out yesterday trolling through 5-10 feet of water and it wouldn't read anything less than about 7 feet. No depth, no fish, no nothing. Blank screen.

Junk.