SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bombshell leak to Toronto Star upends NAFTA talks: In secret ‘so insulting’ remarks, Trump says he isn’t compromising at all with Canada
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bombshell leak to Toronto Star upends NAFTA talks: In secret ‘so insulting’ remarks, Trump says he isn’t compromising at all with Canada Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Toronto Star

WASHINGTON—High-stakes trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. were dramatically upended on Friday morning by inflammatory secret remarks from President Donald Trump, after the remarks were obtained by the Toronto Star.

In remarks Trump wanted to be “off the record,” Trump told Bloomberg News reporters on Thursday, according to a source, that he is not making any compromises at all in the talks with Canada — but that he cannot say this publicly because “it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal.”

In a remark he did not want published, U.S. President Donald Trump said that a possible NAFTA deal with Canada would be “totally on our terms,” according to a source.

“Here’s the problem. If I say no — the answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal ... I can’t kill these people,” he said of the Canadian government.

In another remark he did not want published, Trump said, according to the source, that the possible deal with Canada would be “totally on our terms.” He suggested he was scaring the Canadians into submission by repeatedly threatening to impose tariffs.

“Off the record, Canada’s working their ass off. And every time we have a problem with a point, I just put up a picture of a Chevrolet Impala,” Trump said, according to the source. The Impala is produced at the General Motors plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

Trump made the remarks in an Oval Office interview with Bloomberg. He deemed them off the record, and Bloomberg accepted his request not to reveal them.

But the Star is not bound by any promises Bloomberg made to Trump. And the remarks immediately became a factor in the negotiations: Trudeau’s officials, who saw them as evidence for their previous suspicions that Trump’s team had not been bargaining in good faith, raised them at the beginning of a meeting with their U.S. counterparts on Friday morning, a U.S. source confirmed.

The Star was not able to independently confirm the remarks with 100 per cent certainty, but the Canadian government is confident they are accurate. Bloomberg editor-in-chief John Micklethwait, who was one of the journalists in the room, did not dispute their authenticity.

“If this was said, it was said in an off the record capacity. I understand you guys have obtained it; I’m not sure where you’ve obtained it from,” said White House deputy press secretary Lindsay Walters.

She said she was looking into “the authenticity of what was said,” but she added that there are “sensitivities” to off-record comments.

Walters later provided a more formal comment.

“The Canadian and American negotiators continue to work on reaching a win-win deal that benefits both countries,” she said.

The unusual series of events began on Friday morning, when the Star asked Trudeau’s team, which was heading into a critical top-level 9 a.m. meeting with Trump’s team, for comment on the remarks.

Trudeau’s team believed the remarks to be accurate, and it saw them as confirmation of its suspicions that Trump’s team has not been truly planning to compromise. Earlier on Friday morning, before becoming aware of the remarks, a Canadian official told the Star the U.S. side was not offering “any movement” on the issues most important to Canada.

So at the outset of the Friday meeting — which was expected to involve Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland and senior Trudeau adviser Gerald Butts among others on the Canadian side and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and senior Trump aide Jared Kushner among others on the U.S. side — Trudeau’s officials unveiled the quotes to their U.S. counterparts.

The Canadian government declined to comment on what transpired in the meeting.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the benefit of off-the-record comments, other than stroking someone's ego.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
There is a better than average chance that someone made these comments up and that President Trump never actually said them.

If it is real, the statement really isn't that bad though. He is simply saying that he doesn't want the Canadian government to be publicly humiliated by the terms of the deal. He wants people to think that this was a compromise. It is being blown out of proportion by the media just like everything they report about him. Those commie fucks would rather starve to death then let Trump win.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Does anyone honestly believe Trump would do anything with the press and expect them to ever be "off the record"?

Heh.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The President evidently wanted that information spread to the public as quickly as possible.

It worked.

Posts: 1364 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Canada is over a barrel on this deal. BFD about what President Trump did or did not say.

Catbird's seat- that's where we are. Over a barrel- that's Canada's position, and their PC buffoon leader can't do dick about it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
The President evidently wanted that information spread to the public as quickly as possible.

It worked.

Yeah I think you are right. I edited my post because I wasn't thinking clearly. If this report is true he wanted it to get leaked. He's playing a level above everyone else and I forget that sometimes.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
As I so often post concerning President Trump...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
When it comes to negotiating, "Robert Lighthizer is a vicious son of a bitch," Ritchie said. "This may not be the hill that Mr. Trudeau wants to die on."

(Gordon Ritchie was one of the Canadian NAFTA negotiators)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/why-...er-19-080000561.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't know a single person who believes "off the record" is a real or binding thing, and surely President Trump isn't foolish enough to trust the media in that regard these days.

I put it up there with thinking you can ask an undercover officer if they're police and expecting an honest answer as though it's some legal requirement once the magic words are uttered.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
As I understand this, we’ve got Bloomberg News (a left leaning media outlet) giving “off the record quotes” to a Canadian news outlet. Right? I would assume that Bloomberg understood that the Toronto Star would not feel obligated to honor Bloomberg’s “off the record” agreement.

I for one am totally shocked that a news outlet would manipulate information in such a manner with the obvious goal of smearing Trump. Shocked I tell you, just shocked!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Does anyone honestly believe Trump would do anything with the press and expect them to ever be "off the record"?

Heh.

Exactly. He did this all the time with his atlantic city issues and his first divorce. It's all well documented in trumps 4 part series on netflix. Playing the press like a fiddle.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I wonder who the star's source might be? It was either someone at Bloomberg, in which case, they have allowed politics to compromise their ethics, or it was a White House staffer who was in the room during the interview, which would be way worse.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Pressure is on Trudeau, not Trump to agree to a deal. Canada will be out in the cold, with USA / Mexico heading into their own deal and NAFTA ending.

TRUDEAU REMAINS ‘POSITIVE’ AFTER TRUMP REPORTEDLY SAYS NO COMPROMISE WITH CANADA

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada will “remain constructive” after hearing a report that President Donald Trump won’t make any compromises with Canada during the NAFTA negotiations.

The Toronto Star is reporting what it claims to be off-the-record remarks by the president Friday during an interview with Bloomberg News. Trump ruled out compromise and said the United States was “going to be so insulted [Canada is not] going to be able to make a deal.”

According to CBC News in Oshawa, Ontario, Trudeau told reporters, “We’re going to remain constructive, positive, serious and creative about what we do around the negotiating table, in what we do in relation with the United States. But we are also going to be unequivocal about always standing up for Canadians’ rights and Canadians’ interests.”

Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is in Washington in the thick of negotiations and says the two countries have not arrived at a deal, despite Friday afternoon being an arbitrary deadline for reaching one.

“We’re looking for a good deal, not just any deal. And we will only agree to a deal that is a good deal for Canada. We’re not there yet,” Freeland said Friday from Washington, where talks are taking place for a new NAFTA deal.

Freeland and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau both stressed today that the government will always stand up for the national interest in trade negotiations.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/08...trump-no-compromise/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder who the star's source might be?

No need to guess. Trump said it. He's negotiating and is well known to use these tactics to his benefit.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Trump's art is negotiation. He's about to paint his masterpiece".

(Adapted from Man On Fire.... Wink )

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
So Trump tells the press to keep something off the record as it may negatively affect a major trade deal between two neighboring, allied nations.

The press decides its more important to try to screw Trump, but I have no doubt they are the President's unwitting dupes in this negotiation.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
"A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Trump's art is negotiation. He's about to paint his masterpiece".

(Adapted from Man On Fire.... Wink )

Well said.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Again, all these morons think the President is an unstable idiot....he's repeatedly said he opposes NAFTA and wants bilateral trade deals...oh look, we're probably getting out of NAFTA & we've been negotiating bilateral trade deals...who's the idiot now!

The media & Never-Trumpers can't see the forest for the leaves Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^ The last line in that tweet gives it away. No?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post