SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oh Look - Must be Election Season: Newsom issues executive order for removal of homeless encampments in California
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh Look - Must be Election Season: Newsom issues executive order for removal of homeless encampments in California Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
https://fox5sandiego.com/news/...ments-in-california/

quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an executive order Thursday to direct state agencies on how to remove homeless encampments, a month after a Supreme Court ruling allowing cities to enforce bans on sleeping outside in public spaces.

Newsom’s order is aimed at the thousands of tents and makeshift shelters across the state that line freeways, clutter shopping center parking lots and fill city parks. The order makes clear that the decision to remove the encampments remains in local hands.

The order comes after a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court earlier this summer allowing cities to enforce bans on sleeping outside in public spaces. The case was the most significant on the issue to come before the high court in decades and comes as cities across the country have wrestled with the politically complicated issue of how to deal with a rising number of people without a permanent place to live and public frustration over related health and safety issues.

Newsom’s administration wrote in support of cities’ argument that previous rulings, including one that barred San Francisco from clearing encampments until more shelter beds were available, have prevented the state from solving a critical problem.

“There are simply no more excuses. It’s time for everyone to do their part,” Newsom said in a statement.

While Newsom cannot order local authorities to act, his administration can apply pressure by withholding money for counties and cities.

California is home to roughly one-third of the nation’s population of homeless people, a problem that has dogged Newsom since he took office. Newsom touted that his administration has spent roughly $24 billion aimed at cleaning up streets and housing people but acknowledged the stubbornness of the issue. Newsom’s administration has also come under fire recently after a state audit found that the state didn’t consistently track whether the huge outlay of public money actually improved the situation.

Newsom has worked hard to address the issue. He threw all of his political weight behind a ballot measure earlier this year to allow the state to borrow nearly $6.4 billion to build 4,350 housing units, which passed with a razor-thin margin.

The order comes as Republicans have stepped up their criticisms of California and its homelessness crisis as Vice President Kamala Harris — a former California district attorney, attorney general and senator — launches her presidential campaign. Harris entered the race over the weekend after President Joe Biden’s announced that he would not seek reelection. Newsom himself has presidential ambitions.

The timing of the executive order is “curious,” said California political analyst Brian Sobel, but he doubts Newsom’s move would have much impact on Harris’ campaign.

“Harris’ problem isn’t in California, because California is a done deal,” he said. “Where she needs to do well on issues like this are in swing states.”

Rather, the order is a logical step for Newsom, who called himself the state’s “homeless czar” and made homelessness a signature policy issue the last few years, said Wesley Hussey, a political science professor at California State University, Sacramento.

“I don’t think it’s being motivated by the presidential race as much as it’s definitely something that Newsom cared a lot about,” Hussey said. “If you’re going to put it in a political context of the election, this isn’t going to magically fix the problem.”

Newsom’s decision have garnered praises from local elected officials and business groups, who said they were left with no options to address homeless encampments before the Supreme Court’s ruling. San Francisco Mayor London Breed recently said the city will start an “aggressive” campaign to clear encampments across the city in August. Her office noted that the governor’s order does not affect the city’s operations.

“I applaud Governor Newsom’s emphasis on urgency,” Kathryn Barger, a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors said in a statement. “He rightfully points out that local government remains at the helm of homeless encampment removals. Cities have an obligation to develop housing and shelter solutions in tandem with support services provided by County government.”

Homeless people and their advocates say the sweeps are cruel and a waste of taxpayer money. They say the answer is more housing, not crackdowns.

Under Newsom’s direction, state agencies — including state parks and department of transportation — would be required to prioritize clearing encampments that pose safety risks, such as those camping along waterways. Officials should give advance notice to vacate, connect homeless people to local services and help store their belongings for at least 60 days. Local cities and counties are urged to adopt similar protocols.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14174 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Look at all the votes he will lose!

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Question is, what will they do with these people once they start shutting down tent cities, it's not like these folks have $300K down payments and credit for a million dollar loan, or qualify for a $3000 a month one bedroom apartment.

Are they going to pay to put them in hotels like the Mayor of New York City. Even if they started some CA Residents low income construction program it would take several years to get the property, clean it up, build and open.

Or take a page from the Texas Playbook and start putting them on busses to San Antonio, Dallas, Tulsa, you can't trust the CA politicians and they certainly won't send them back over the border to Mexico.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Newscum's order is a political grandstand.

It does not apply to local governments, at all. Local governments can continue to tolerate the homeless encampments to their heart's content and the State of California can and will do bupkis about it.

This only applies to camps on state-administered lands (e.g., state parks, state roads).

Now guess where the homeless go once kicked off state-administered land.

Chikhen-dinner!!

Yes, right into the arms of local communities whose governments who are unable, unprepared, or unwilling to provide the homeless long-term housing outside of correctional facilities.

It solves NOTHING.

In fact, from the perspective of local government, it makes their problems worse as they now have to absorb the homeless removed from state-administered land.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Let the populace who favor this and avoid the root cause feel the full brunt of their ideology. Let them continue to vote for this. Votes have consequences. Let them know what they are.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Let the populace who favor this and avoid the root cause feel the full brunt of their ideology.
Oh, you mean by taking a dozen or so into their $2M McMansions (with four car garages)? Better the hopeless (not a typo) sleep shit on the street than in their marble bathrooms.

Posts: 6819 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Question is, what will they do with these people once they start shutting down tent cities, it's not like these folks have $300K down payments and credit for a million dollar loan, or qualify for a $3000 a month one bedroom apartment.

Are they going to pay to put them in hotels like the Mayor of New York City. Even if they started some CA Residents low income construction program it would take several years to get the property, clean it up, build and open.

Or take a page from the Texas Playbook and start putting them on busses to San Antonio, Dallas, Tulsa, you can't trust the CA politicians and they certainly won't send them back over the border to Mexico.

Why not set up tent cities outside of town, out in the desert? Move them there, and get them away from the city population. Those that don't like it will move away. They don't need to be in hotels.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1515 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not set up tent cities outside of town, out in the desert?
Maybe they can get Sheriff Arpaio to help them? Big Grin

Posts: 9310 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:

Why not set up tent cities outside of town, out in the desert? Move them there, and get them away from the city population. Those that don't like it will move away. They don't need to be in hotels.

I drove between Bakersfield and Needles two weeks ago. Disregard the 110F temps, there's a lot of open land out there.

Didn't Gavin get the memo that they nominated Madam VP Harris to be the Dem nominee? I think he's looking for favorable headlines so that when people Google his name running up to the 2028 elections, these types of articles will pop up instead of the steady stream of dumpster-fire articles about CA's piss poor management of the self-inflicted homeless problem.

P229

Posts: 3953 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

My prediction: a week or so after the election, and before Christmas,he will rescind the EO because it is cruel and unfair.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14174 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let the populace who favor this and avoid the root cause feel the full brunt of their ideology. Let them continue to vote for this. Votes have consequences. Let them know what they are.

My wife works in the city and occasionally has discussions with coworkers who live there. They see absolutely no correlation between the leadership of the city and the condition that it is currently in. If someone suggests that the city's horrible condition is the fault of leadership decisions, they'll laugh and tell you you're mistaken.

If I had a voice with the homeless, I'd assure them after the election everything will go back to "normal."

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10879 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
The 2028 Olympics are in L. A.
Gonna take 4 years to clean things up.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4253 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

My wife works in the city and occasionally has discussions with coworkers who live there. They see absolutely no correlation between the leadership of the city and the condition that it is currently in. If someone suggests that the city's horrible condition is the fault of leadership decisions, they'll laugh and tell you you're mistaken.

If I had a voice with the homeless, I'd assure them after the election everything will go back to "normal."

What do her 'coworkers' say is the cause of deplorable conditions (and homelessness!) in San Francisco then? Or do they just laugh, and walk away?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
My prediction: a week or so after the election, and before Christmas,he will rescind the EO because it is cruel and unfair.

My bet? He's banking on the idiotic judges there to put an injunction in place before anything actually happens, so his administration then can reluctantly claim to 'have tried' and then not appeal.

They're past masters at smoke and mirrors. Spent 20 years there observing first-hand.

Posts: 15171 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Didn't Gavin get the memo that they nominated Madam VP Harris to be the Dem nominee? I think he's looking for favorable headlines so that when people Google his name running up to the 2028 elections, these types of articles will pop up instead of the steady stream of dumpster-fire articles about CA's piss poor management of the self-inflicted homeless problem.

Newsom certainly got the memo and quickly endorsed Harris because he is confident she'll lose, leaving him one less rival in the 2028 election. He's the last guy who wants to see Harris succeed, and I'm sure his aunt Nancy Pelosi feels the same. And yes, Newsom has a little over two years to patch up the rough spots of CA, throw some bondo on it, to complete his resume for the 2028 election. Also a Trump economy will help his state a little bit, he'll take credit for it. Remember that debate with DeSantis? It was all because of 2028.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17228 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
What do her 'coworkers' say is the cause of deplorable conditions (and homelessness!) in San Francisco then? Or do they just laugh, and walk away?

"It's just what happens sometimes - it has nothing to do with leadership." And, seriously, I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this, if you attempt to show them the cause and effect or try to persuade them to see anything in a different light that they see it now, they will get angry. The better your argument - the more sense you make with irrefutable evidence, the level of rage will be higher. That's why she and I just keep our mouths shut - just as we would if we were mistakenly placed in an insane asylum.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10879 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

"It's just what happens sometimes - it has nothing to do with leadership." And, seriously, I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this, if you attempt to show them the cause and effect or try to persuade them to see anything in a different light that they see it now, they will get angry. The better your argument - the more sense you make with irrefutable evidence, the level of rage will be higher. That's why she and I just keep our mouths shut - just as we would if we were mistakenly placed in an insane asylum.

^^^^ This - in spades!!

My wife works at high school (In San Diego County) as an ASL interpreter and according to those [unionized] teachers, it is Trump's fault because he screwed this nation with a shitty economy and high inflation.

What's truly worse about this, the economics teachers back this up!

I provided my wife with the facts of inflation and how detrimental printing free money is to the economy and she was shut down because "Biden had to do that to save the economy from Trump's disaster."