SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lightning got me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightning got me Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
First time I’ve had lightning damage. It blew the fuse at the pole and killed the transformer although it did not so much as smoke.

So far I have found it took out the cable modem and the router - killed the Ethernet port, otherwise it functioned. The garage door opener is also dead. Strange that it blew. I can see the items attached to the cable line but the opener I would have never guessed.

At least my new modem is twice as fast, even on the antique router I dug out of the closet.

Hopefully I can find an opener that mounts exactly like the 20 year old 1/2hp Liftmaster. I doubt the old extra remote can be used.

The generator I bought several years ago ran great, even powering the central AC. Burned about 5 gallons over 9 hours. Hopefully I don’t need it again for many years.

So, what’s a good Netgear router now? The last time I looked a few years ago, some were being made with crap chips.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Click bait Razz

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We got zorched two years ago and the casualties included the garage door openers. Weird. Apparently the computer control boards that manage the radio signals from the clicker don't much like voltage spikes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When I lived in NH my home was hit. Took everything out. Even ended up replacing some outlets and switches.

Insurance company not particularly helpful.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Haha, funny guy!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
So, what’s a good Netgear router now? The last time I looked a few years ago, some were being made with crap chips.

I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk, and D/L the app on my Iphone. It does all I need!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Click bait Razz

Now that's funny right there, uh huh.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
We’ve had houses hit 3 times, and every single time we lost garage door openers. The last one actually blew the opener through a surge protector. In all but one instance it was a change of the mother board that was needed. A very simple task with the part being ordered online.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, I got zapped opening a gate and lighting hit the chain link fence. That wasn't the last time either.

My neighbors tree 80 yards away from my house got hit a coupleofyears ago, the lightning traveled down the tree, cut the hostas down like a weed eater, crossed 20 yards of grass to the house hit the main coming into his house, blowing every breaker, and setting fire to the wall. Fried two T.V.s catching the cable T.V. line on fire, which burned all the way to the poll 30 plus feet.

Blowing tree bark to my house which was embedded into my wood siding, and stuck to the brick where to remove it, I had to use as pressure washer!

Wild stuff Lighting.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
No matter the protection, ALL bets are OFF with Lightning!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for a phone company and 40+ years ago started off as a residential installation and repair man. I was was working inside a house where the telephone drop terminated directly to the phone jack in the living room. There was no protector.

I was working with a pair of needle nose pliers and had ahold of the end of the drop wire. It was sunny outside and I heard a very faint clap of thunder miles away. There was a sudden flash and when I looked down, there was a half inch of the End of the needle nose Klein pliers gone.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got hit last year and it fried an outlet in the wall. Fortunately the box was metal and not plastic and it contained the fire. My Toyota FJ did not fare so well , insurance guy said they would fix it and by the time it was said and done (3 months) the bill for parts was over $13K and labor just under $8K. He got caught up in the dealer saying "it's just this part" too many times and was too deep into it to total it. I have had zero problems since then and my deductible was $100.00 !

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 1980's, lightning struck a tree about 75 feet from the house and fried everything that was connected to the antennae on the roof.

The TV,VCR and stereo receiver all had to be replaced.

It's amazing how much power can be in a lightning bolt.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I think we have had to replace garage door openers twice due to lightning. A bunch of othr stuff once also. The claims adjuster said it might take 6 months for the refrigerator to crap out if it got hit.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We have to unplug out internet every time there’s a chance for storms. It homes in on that and it loved our satellite boxes when we still had service. Something about this property and the in-laws next door is a lightning magnet. Before I met my wife her parents’ house was hit and it blew out every electronic item there.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We’ve been hit twice. The first time it struck our well head, followed a pipe about 25 yards down hill to the barn and blew the pipe apart at the spigot. We didn’t know it happened until we turned the water on in the house, and didn’t have any...it was all draining at the break.

Last year we got hit and it blew out our generator’s transfer switch.

I don’t like lightening.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Anything with a circuit board in it is vulnerable to nearby lightning strikes, and today, just about everything has a circuit board. Multiple levels of protection is your only hope, and even then it might not be enough. Starting with a whole house protector in your breaker panel, then good quality surge protectors on vulnerable/valuable equipment, plus a UPS plugged into the surge protector for computers and such. Yes, I realize UPSs have built in surge protectors for their outlets nowadays, but they also have an internal circuit board that makes the UPS work to transfer power. More than once, while working, did I find out too late that a UPS was simply passing line power to the server and not switching over to battery power when needed because its internal circuit board was fried. That's why I always protect the UPS with a SP first in line from the wall.

I use surge protectors on such things as my garage door openers, washing machine, audio/video equipment, and refrigerator. And also a UPS on all computer and network equipment (modems, switches, computers, etc).

The APC Net7 is an above average and affordable choice for surge protection. $25 from APC direct. Monoprice also has some good offerings with a bit lower level of protection, such as this 6 outlet surge protector/power strip.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
We’ve had houses hit 3 times, and every single time we lost garage door openers. The last one actually blew the opener through a surge protector. In all but one instance it was a change of the mother board that was needed. A very simple task with the part being ordered online.

Definitely have the openers checked to see if new circuit boards is all they need, much cheaper!!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Oz...when I read your post, it was almost an EXACT description of the lightning hit my house took earlier in the year. It took out...
Router
Backup Power Supply
Fried the Ethernet port on my PC and TV (thought that was strange...the ports only)
Garage door opener
Bose sound system hooked to my TV (that was the big one)

Hope you got everything repaired! My repairs cost me the $1,200 "stimulus" check, as it happened the weekend after that money hit my bank account. FYI...I went ahead and replaced the entire garage opener rather than try to troubleshoot the board and then other stuff go out later. I got a Chamberlain 1/2hp belt drive. Absolutely LOVE IT!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
We have to unplug out internet every time there’s a chance for storms. It homes in on that and it loved our satellite boxes when we still had service. Something about this property and the in-laws next door is a lightning magnet. Before I met my wife her parents’ house was hit and it blew out every electronic item there.

Makes you wonder if you should ask for a "lightning strike history" type report when buying a home.

For those of you in lightning prone areas - what about a lightning rod, won't that provide protection?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post