SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blood Pressure Monitors for Home Use
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood Pressure Monitors for Home Use Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
There's a currently active thread discussing BP problems. I did not want to go into that one and side-track the discussion, so I'm starting this one.

My Primary Care Doc wants me to track my BP. I have had a couple of monitors. Neither one was consistent, the readings were all over the place, and neither one was even in the neighborhood of the readings at the Doc's office.

I'm looking for recommendations for a home use BP monitor that produces reasonably accurate and consistent readings.

If you have personal experience with these, I'd like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly for specific brands / models.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31511 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have only had one and its pretty old but its has been a good one. Its an Omron upper arm cuff style.

Posts: 18154 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I have only had one and its pretty old but its has been a good one. Its an Omron upper arm cuff style.

Same here... I think it's a HEM711 series with an extra large cuff. Bottom line is that I've checked a few times at the MD's office over the years and it has been spot on.

Looks like the Omron Silver is the current closest iteration
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R...?ref=emc_s_m_5_i_atc
and extra large cuff
https://www.amazon.com/Compati...d_i=B0BGBJGFM5&psc=1

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16553 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I picked this up in January for $30. Seems to works fine. A lot easier than the old days with the stethoscope Big Grin

iHealth Track Smart Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Wide Range Cuff That fits Standard to Large Adult Arms, Bluetooth Compatible for iOS & Android Devices https://a.co/d/0IocBkb

Posts: 3615 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best I have ever had is what I use now which is Oxiline Model JPD-HA121

Wasn't cheap but it syncs with the doc office machine.

Posts: 1001 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I have only had one and its pretty old but its has been a good one. It’s an Omron upper arm cuff style.

Ditto. I’ve taken my Omron to my GP twice for comparison with professional equipment with good results.

BTW – It’s powered by four AA batteries. Duracell PROCELL batteries last for months of twice a day measurements. And, contrary to SIGforum opinion, I’ve never seen a Duracell battery leak. I guess I’m blessed. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9520 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have an Omron 10

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12967 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with omron or Panasonic arm cuff styles as well.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using a Lifesource for years. Always been within a few points of the docs. I don't think the model I have is made any more (UA-851) but I would trust the brand if I had to replace it.

Posts: 801 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Omron. Links to an app on my phone that charts the readings, which you can forward to your Doc. Works well and was less than $100.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16413 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We use and I recommend an OMRON 5450 if you want to be able to upload record of your readings to your doctor via the OMRON Connect app.

Posts: 18451 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Another Omron user. It was on sale at Costco some time ago. It agrees with my doctor’s monitor.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1515 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Omron.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 17008 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Ditto. I’ve taken my Omron to my GP twice for comparison with professional equipment with good results.

BTW – It’s powered by four AA batteries. Duracell PROCELL batteries last for months of twice a day measurements. And, contrary to SIGforum opinion, I’ve never seen a Duracell battery leak. I guess I’m blessed. Smile

Same here regarding my Doctor had me bring my Omron Wrist strap BP monitor to the office for comparison with his equipment. It matched.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20126 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Omron wrist are very accurate. I currently use a BP4350. I purchased the 4350 after thinking a previous Omron had gone bad, The older Omron had not gone bad, it was detecting a heart problem causing a valve to close prematurly.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4353 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have had more then one doctor agree that "white smock" blood pressure is a real thing.
IE Many people's BP is higher in the doctors office then at home.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4254 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the OMRON BP5450.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2007 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
I picked this up in January for $30. Seems to works fine. A lot easier than the old days with the stethoscope Big Grin

iHealth Track Smart Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Wide Range Cuff That fits Standard to Large Adult Arms, Bluetooth Compatible for iOS & Android Devices https://a.co/d/0IocBkb

I was just told to monitor mine, too. We have a wrist one that is too sensitive to positioning, so I bought the one above. It's been 5 days and it works fine, definitely recommend.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have the Omron Series 10 bp7450 bluetooth, but it's been replaced with the Omron Platinum BP5450. One of the reasons I like it is I'm not a pen & paper guy. The bluetooth allows it to sync with an app on my iPhone and I have hundreds of readings to see trends. I can even export to Excel which makes the engineer in me happy.

I've had it side by side comparison in doctor's office and it's accurate.

As far as accurate readings at home, the manual (yes, you can read those) had helpful tips for taking blood pressure at home. One of the most useful was to rest for at least 5 minutes before taking a measurement. I hook up the monitor, and watch TV for 10 minutes before I press the button to start the process.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23718 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Withings. It connects to wifi and sends readings direct to Dr office.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4377 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post