SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About Old Phone Numbers (ATTN: V TAIL)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Old Phone Numbers (ATTN: V TAIL) Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
ELgin1-4487.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
According to this article the suffixes were additional digits used for party lines when automation started:
https://history.stackexchange....york-phone-book-mean

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16522 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Radioman and WaterburyBob have it. Those were additional codes to distinguish between multiple users on the same party line.

At some point, the party line users all got unique phone numbers.

My grandparents in a very small Pennsylvania town had a party line through the middle or late '60s. I was surprised one day when I picked up the phone and there was someone else on it already. I have no idea whether they had an extra code.

I do remember that to call Junior Samples, you dialed BR5-49.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a young boy (late 40's and early 50's) our phone number was (the name of our town), 446 (a three party line). In the mid 60's we got so big they put a 2 in front of the 446. Eventually in the 70's we were forced into the full number sequence we have today.

When my mother was a a young girl (mid 1920's) they had a old system where the operator sat above the drug store, manually connecting one number to the other. The operator overlooked the center of the town (it was a really small town). My mothers childhood number was (the name of the town) 1. She spoke of the town operator taking messages for her mother or telling the caller to call back her mother was in the grocery store shopping. Such was small town life in Rural Massachusetts in the 20's and 30's.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
No, we were not on a rural party line. My grandparents were and I know the difference.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
My dad explained to me how there were several bell sequences used for a multi party line with the same number.

W and R were two of the many bell sequences, but there were many others. So your number was 672R while someone else would have 672J and someone else 672W, all with different bell sequences of short and long bells. You only picked up if you heard your bell "letter" sequence.

For example, My dad's bell sequence was one short ring and three long rings. They didn't pick up unless they heard their bell sequence.

So that is the reason for the letter at the end.

Wow, thanks for bringing back that memory. My dad has been gone for over 20 years now.

Smile Gotta go, just got a call from BUtterfield 8 Smile

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We had a party line in 1988 or so. Big Grin

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There were two types of party lines.

A few posters above have written about distinctive ring patterns. These were used for multi-party lines, which were typically used in rural areas.

The other type of party line was the two-party line, more often used in urban areas. With this type, distinctive ring was not necessary; with the two-party line, the ringing signal could be applied selectively to either one of the parties and the other party's phone did not ring.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, we were not on a rural party line. My grandparents were and I know the difference.

Your line was working off of equipment using "grounded ringing". You phone had the ringer tied between the red wire and ground. "Central" would place ring voltage on the red wire of the pair going to your house to ring your phone.

If it had been a party line, the other customer would have had their ringer tied from the white wire to ground.

I upgraded a good number of those back in the 70s.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Our number in Fullerton was LA(mbert)-5-xxxx.

Funny it is the only old phone number I recall.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6316 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EL8-7884. Then area codes were added.
Parents had same phone number for 73 years.
When I moved to small town Wyoming, all you needed to dial in town was the last 4 digits.
Wyoming still has only one area code (307) for entire state.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As a kid I was taught that my phone number was JU8-3757. When asked, that's obviously how I answered.

It was 1974 and apparently this was no good!? In kindergarten remember the school calling my mother down to the school during the middle of the day to discuss the matter! I can remember being in the front office with her and some administrator, dealing with this apparently horrible issue! lmao I had to be taught to say 588 instead! Crazy.

That's how it works. I can remember all my childhood friend's phone numbers that haven't worked in 40 years, but I had to look at my cell phone today to double check my number I've had for over 10 years.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
What did J stand for, if anything? Thank you for your help.

quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:

Your line was working off of equipment using "grounded ringing". You phone had the ringer tied between the red wire and ground. "Central" would place ring voltage on the red wire of the pair going to your house to ring your phone.

If it had been a party line, the other customer would have had their ringer tied from the white wire to ground.

I upgraded a good number of those back in the 70s.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Early 50’s my mothers work phone number was “0”, easy enough to remember!

That ended in 1955 when dial service was fully implemented and she transferred to a business office.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was BR549 ..

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We were HEmlock something. My father was a big shot in the local phone company so we got the first of everything. Extension phone, Princess phone, Bell Chime, Colored phones. Wow, that was a long time ago.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What did J stand for, if anything? Thank you for your help.

There was no "J" in the grounded-ringing system. You only had the red or white wires to ring out on.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
For those of you old enough to remember the old Milton Metz evening radio call-in show on 50,000 watt clear-channel WHAS-840 AM, heard in most of the USA in the 1960s, the phone was JUniper 5-2385 (585-2385). Ah, the good old days!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2701 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Discussions of old telephone technology always remind me of the anti-tinkle circuit in rotary dial phones. The name always makes me chuckle.

“What is the purpose of an anti-tinkle circuit in a phone?”
https://www.quora.com/What-is-...e-circuit-in-a-phone

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8970 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
A radio ad/jingle for a carpet cleaning business in Boston area back in early '60's.

How many cookies did Andrew eat? ANdrew-8-8000.

How do you keep your carpets clean? Call ANdrew-8-8000.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT-219

6 house party line. one long ring then two short

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post