SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picture Curb Find ~ Platoon 2 FT Dix NJ APR 16 1981
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture Curb Find ~ Platoon 2 FT Dix NJ APR 16 1981 Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Found on the curb of an unoccupied house that was being cleaned out.

Platoon 2 FT Dix NJ Apr 16 1981

Posting on the chance to see if the picture might mean something personal to someone here on SF. If so, I'd be happy to send it to you free of any charge.

Posts: 4704 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your local VFW may be a place to start. They may even hang it behind the bar.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Means nothing to me.
I went through in ‘83, however can you read the name tag on the Drill Sergeant above the “BT”?

Is that Sgt Howard?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm on a Facebook page called 'I survived the Army of the 80's'. If you want I can post it there and see if someone recognizes it.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Your local VFW may be a place to start. They may even hang it behind the bar.

Excellent idea.

quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Means nothing to me.
I went through in ‘83, however can you read the name tag on the Drill Sergeant above the “BT”?

Is that Sgt Howard?

Looked at it under magnification and best I can make out is “Etenson” or something similar, but clearly not Howard.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I'm on a Facebook page called 'I survived the Army of the 80's'. If you want I can post it there and see if someone recognizes it.

If you’d like. I know it's a long shot, but who knows, someone somewhere may have wished they’d kept a copy of the pic.

Posts: 4704 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

If you’d like. I know it's a long shot, but who knows, someone somewhere may have wished they’d kept a copy of the pic.

I posted it to the 80's Army page and someone is cross posting to a Ft. Dix alum page. Hopefully we'll find someone from that class.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I recognize John Winger and Russell Ziskey in that pic !

second row from the top

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
That dude 2nd from the right holding the guidon is yuuuge.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
67 guys standing at attention
1 guy standing at parade rest.

I suppose there's one in every crowd.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
67 guys standing at attention
1 guy standing at parade rest.

I suppose there's one in every crowd.

Funny thing is, I'm looking at my graduation photo from Ft. Leonard Wood in 1986 and the guy in the same position in the front row is also at Parade Rest while the rest of us are at Attention. Coincidence?

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Too early for me. I went through there in '90.

Maybe it was bad memories for someone.. ?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:

Went through Dix in ‘68. We also had an extra big boy and for some odd reason we called him “Truck.” Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too late for me. I went through in 69. Plus I was in B 5 3.

We never had a group pic.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Good looking group. In my group picture from Leanard Wood, no one is smiling. We look like we just got smoked.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Maybe it was bad memories for someone.. ?

Found on curb of older home, down the street and around the corner. An elderly couple did live their. From a distance, I saw them and visitors from time to time over the last dozen years but never met them. They're gone now, either passed away or in a care facility. The house is being cleared out.

There was a couple of boxes of framed family photos, some going all the way back to what appeared to be the late 1800's. There were several military pictures, both Army and Navy but most were individual random military pictures. This was the only one that was a formation group shot. My guess is that maybe their son is in it or maybe a (former?) son in law. I just don't know. All I know is if it meant something to family members cleaning the house out, they wouldn't have put it on the curb.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Him and the guy left of him are probably recruits also but may have had some previous military training or something like that and are used to help the training cadre, at least that was for our training in 62. The black arm band makes me think that what it's for, that was the same in 62.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
quote:

Him and the guy left of him are probably recruits also but may have had some previous military training or something like that and are used to help the training cadre, at least that was for our training in 62. The black arm band makes me think that what it's for, that was the same in 62.

Not cadre.

He’s a Platoon Leader who was picked or voluntold out of that group of recruits.

Or are they Squad Leaders? It’s been a long time!

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drill corporals. I went through basic at Dix in August 82, we were issued the new camo BDUs, our drill corporals were still wearing the greens these guys are wearing.

They were the top of the basic class prior to us, and stayed on to be acting jack corporals and assisted the drill sergeants. Helped with tips on shining brass, shoes, making beds, and attention to details.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Ok, so far I've seen posts from cycles just before and just after the one in the pictures.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Geez, I'm really old, started Basic at Ft Dix June 13, 1965. Hard to believe it's 54 years ago next week!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post