SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anybody Here Use TTY Relay Services for Hearing Impaired?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anybody Here Use TTY Relay Services for Hearing Impaired? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I'm trying to figure out if this is an option for me.

I see where I can get a device at no charge, but it requires a landline, which I do not have.

Connection to this service via the internet would be ideal, but I could not turn up anything in this country (U.S.A.) via a google search. Australia seems to have this, but as far as I can tell, we do not.

I'm looking for a service that offers the capability of an intermediary who will speak and listen to the party on the other end, and type to me, on my end. Service via landline is easy to find. Via internet connection to computer for typing and reading, not so much.

Does anybody know of something that I might be missing?

Edit: Apparently iOS 10 for has a software TTY. I'll investigate that one further. That would be sort of a second choice, I'd really like to find a solution that would let me use my computer as a TTY terminal via the internet without the need for a landline. I can type a heck of a lot faster on the computer than on a smartphone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
It works. Two different places I worked, I used to take calls from TTY relay services. It's slower than a normal conversation but it gets the job done.

Might be worth it for you, but I don't know how strongly anti-land line you are.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
It works. Two different places I worked, I used to take calls from TTY relay services. It's slower than a normal conversation but it gets the job done.

Might be worth it for you, but I don't know how strongly anti-land line you are.
I am mildly anti-landline, and very anti-landline cost.

Between home and hangar office it would run close to $1,500 / year. Not really worth it for maybe couple calls a week.

I don't even know how this thing works. I can understand it for calls that I originate, I would dial 7-1-1, but how does it work if somebody calls me?

'Nother thing, since dumping the landline a few years ago and just using cell phone, the spam / scam / fraud / telemarketing etc. calls have dropped to maybe just a couple a month. Re-starting a landline would open the floodgates again, ¿si?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
IF you have internet at home then your landline shouldn't be more than $30 a month if you buy it through the cable company with internet, that's what ours costs, and I'm looking into OOMA, for basic OOMA its $4 a month which is for taxes on phone lines, unlimited calls no monthly fees, costco has a deal for $119 for the OOMA box with the H2 phone, and with the blootoof adapter you can hook your cell to the OOMA box and answer calls on the landline set.

That might help you out...

https://www.ooma.com/voip/link-ooma-shop/

there are several voip services that can run over your existing internet service (provided you have one)

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
IF you have internet at home then your landline shouldn't be more than $30 a month
$30 plus taxes and junk fees. For residence.

I can't get residential service at the hangar office, where I spend a lot of time during working hours. That zip code is not zoned for residence, so TPC charges business rates, well over double the residential rate. Add taxes and junk fees, and now we're pushing $1,500.00 / year total for home and office.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have another attorney who is hearing impaired and used it to call me

I believe that it was through sprint as a cell carrier.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
just found it here

https://www.sprintrelay.com/services/sprint-ip-relay

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You may have missed my OOMA stuff, anyway, if you have wifi internet at the hanger you can put OOMA there, I would bet you could do the home line, if not they have a business option as well.

https://www.ooma.com/voip/link...mall-business-phone/

charter/spectrum has a new customer business internet at 100mbs for $44 a month... free? nope but it's out there...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
just found it here

https://www.sprintrelay.com/services/sprint-ip-relay
Whoo-hoo!

Thank you, sir.

I'll try it next time I need to call someone.

My other question remains: How does this work for incoming calls? How do people contact me?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Texting works well for me. I also have an interface between cell and hearing aids that works very well.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post