SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    James Comey terminated
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Comey terminated Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
One of my friends, now on the bench, says he can't go to lunch with anyone but other judges and his former partners.

That’s interesting, and I would not have thought they were constrained to such a degree.

I realize that perceptions and authority of the two are probably much different, but I knew an Army SJA colonel on the Court of Military Review (I believe the name may changed since then) which was the second highest military court when I was last stationed in the DC area. He liked to hang out for coffee with the CID agents in the same building even though he handled appeals of our cases—including two that I know I was personally involved in.
Then again, I suppose no one would accuse a full colonel of being improperly influenced by a lowly warrant officer. Wink

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47666 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
One of my friends, now on the bench, says he can't go to lunch with anyone but other judges and his former partners.

That’s interesting, and I would not have thought they were constrained to such a degree.

I realize that perceptions and authority of the two are probably much different, but I knew an Army SJA colonel on the Court of Military Review (I believe the name may changed since then) which was the second highest military court when I was last stationed in the DC area. He liked to hang out for coffee with the CID agents in the same building even though he handled appeals of our cases—including two that I know I was personally involved in.
Then again, I suppose no one would accuse a full colonel of being improperly influenced by a lowly warrant officer. Wink

Everyone has their own comfort level in the margins.

"Caesar's wife must be above suspicion."

This fellow would no longer go to lunch with me even though I handled no litigation by then, although my companies were sometimes parties and I occasionally appeared as an expert witness. Maybe he just didn't like me any more, too. Maybe he was sick of being around lawyers!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe he was sick of being around lawyers!

That's hard to believe.

God Bless and Protect Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17541 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Garland said no, already. And, why wouldn't he? A lifetime appointment, where you could wreck havoc with your decisions (depending on who your enemy is) vs. a 10-year term (max), where the President could boot you anytime. Hmm, tough choice.

It is wreak havoc, and even the people who don't agree with Garland politically don't think of him as a "havoc-wreaker."

But I agree. There aren't many jobs I'd prefer to that of a United States Appeals Court justice.

It's a pretty good gig, isn't it? Lifetime job, during good behavior, decent pay, your own hours usually, lots of reading, paid health care. Most people are nice to you, but no trials to preside over, but you have to listen to lawyers quite a lot, and your circle of friends and associated must be somewhat circumscribed.

It's a no brainer turn down for the reason's mentioned above.

I went to the retirement reception for my favorite judge a few years ago. I still remember him saying that being a judge is lonely based upon the constraints of who you can associate with, etc. He did say there are some small perks as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his pocket knife. He grinned and said that nobody searched the judge for weapons in his own courthouse.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

Comey said Trump told him he expected loyalty. What an awful thing for an executive to say to a subordinate!

(Bloomberg) -- Fired FBI Director James Comey said President Trump told him “I need loyalty” when the two dined alone in the White House in January and said he thought the encounter was designed to “create some part of patronage relationship.”

“The President said, ‘I need loyalty, I expect loyalty.”’ Comey said in prepared remarks released Wednesday, a day before his highly anticipated testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee. “I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence.”

In his testimony, Comey describes in detail his interactions with the president before his May 9 firing by Trump. Comey has coordinated his testimony with Robert Mueller, another former FBI chief who’s now special counsel in charge of investigations into Russian meddling in last year’s campaign and possible ties to those around Trump, according to a person familiar with Comey’s plans.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...kt5R&ocid=spartandhp

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I believe I heard that Comey would immediately write down everything about his meetings with Trump during the transition time and then after he became POTUS, however he had no such inclination with Obama after meetings. If true that's quite interesting that he'd have different methodology.

Watched a bit of the hearings today, McCain rambled on, asked nothing of consequence, read some of the assertions of the latest scandal articles and of course made the "if this is true its very troubling" comment. Guy is such a dickweed.

Trump just keeps Trumping on, and 2018 we need to gut the house and senate of the old guard for obstructing the process and stalling getting anything we needed/wanted done, tax reform, HC Reform etc yeah I know he's getting some things done but they are temporary fixes not legislation, the next potus can simply wipe out Trumps EO's and change things back...

Congress needs a good ass whipping

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I believe I heard that Comey would immediately write down everything about his meetings with Trump during the transition time and then after he became POTUS, however he had no such inclination with Obama after meetings. If true that's quite interesting that he'd have different methodology.

Watched a bit of the hearings today, McCain rambled on, asked nothing of consequence, read some of the assertions of the latest scandal articles and of course made the "if this is true its very troubling" comment. Guy is such a dickweed.

Trump just keeps Trumping on, and 2018 we need to gut the house and senate of the old guard for obstructing the process and stalling getting anything we needed/wanted done, tax reform, HC Reform etc yeah I know he's getting some things done but they are temporary fixes not legislation, the next potus can simply wipe out Trumps EO's and change things back...

Congress needs a good ass whipping

I dunno. Some of the new guys are pretty skanky too.

I heard the other day that Trump has signed 36 bills into law, assuming a media report is actually true. It could happen, I guess.

Anyway, if true, Congress is not just sitting on its collective butt. They are deliberating, arguing, negotiating over the heavy items, of course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Read Comey's full prepared remarks here:

https://www.intelligence.senat...os-jcomey-060817.pdf

The January 27 Dinner will be the subject of controversy tomorrow...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Read Comey's full prepared remarks here:

https://www.intelligence.senat...os-jcomey-060817.pdf

The January 27 Dinner will be the subject of controversy tomorrow...

Seems to me the conversation about Flynn will end up being the bigger controversy.

quote:
The President then returned to the topic of Mike Flynn, saying, “He is a
good guy and has been through a lot.” He repeated that Flynn hadn’t done
anything wrong on his calls with the Russians, but had misled the Vice President.
He then said, “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn
go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.” I replied only that “he is a good
guy.” (In fact, I had a positive experience dealing with Mike Flynn when he was a
colleague as Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency at the beginning of my
term at FBI.) I did not say I would “let this go.”
The President returned briefly to the problem of leaks. I then got up and
left out the door by the grandfather clock, making my way through the large group
of people waiting there, including Mr. Priebus and the Vice President.
I immediately prepared an unclassified memo of the conversation about
Flynn and discussed the matter with FBI senior leadership. I had understood the
President to be requesting that we drop any investigation of Flynn in connection
with false statements about his conversations with the Russian ambassador in
December. I did not understand the President to be talking about the broader
investigation into Russia or possible links to his campaign. I could be wrong, but I
took him to be focusing on what had just happened with Flynn’s departure and the
controversy around his account of his phone calls. Regardless, it was very
concerning, given the FBI’s role as an independent investigative agency.

Christ, he really went out of his way to make the President look bad. It's really telling that Comey immediately created a memo after every instance of communication with Trump. It seems he was out to get him from the beginning.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30880 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"...the FBI's role as an independent investigative agency"...

That's funny right there coming out of that traitors cake hole.

I want to see every "memo" Comey wrote since his appointment so we can compare that number to every one since January of this year.

I will bet there are hardly any. Amazingly convenient that all of a sudden his proclivity for writing "memos" came out after he was fired.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

I want to see every "memo" Comey wrote since his appointment so we can compare that number to every one since January of this year.

I will bet there are hardly any. Amazingly convenient that all of a sudden his proclivity for writing "memos" came out after he was fired.

Does he have any memos about conversations with Low-Retta or Hillary?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Does he have any memos about conversations with Low-Retta or Hillary?

He's said that the first and only time that he wrote a memo of his conversations with a public figure was in regards to President Trump.

From his statement:

"I felt compelled to document my first conversation with the President-Elect
in a memo. To ensure accuracy, I began to type it on a laptop in an FBI vehicle
outside Trump Tower the moment I walked out of the meeting. Creating written
records immediately after one-on-one conversations with Mr. Trump was my
practice from that point forward. This had not been my practice in the past. I
spoke alone with President Obama twice in person (and never on the phone) –
once in 2015 to discuss law enforcement policy issues and a second time, briefly,
for him to say goodbye in late 2016. In neither of those circumstances did I
memorialize the discussions. I can recall nine one-on-one conversations with
President Trump in four months – three in person and six on the phone."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30880 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That's funny because when this "memo" crap came up the news was pushing the idea that he was well known for wriiting "memos" of important meetings. Amazing that he all of a sudden felt the need to write "memos" with Trump.

I wonder what one of his democratic handlers came up with this idea?

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
June 8, 2017
Andrew McCarthy demolishes the argument that Trump obstructed justice, or even did anything wrong in dinner talk with Comey
By Thomas Lifson

In his trademark well-informed and lucid style, former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy took just over 4 minutes to explain to Tucker Carlson’s viewers why President Trump’s dinner conversation with James Comey, bandied about as “obstruction of justice” by many on the left, was not improper.

But before you view the video below, consider the false notion propagated by Comey in his written introductory statement to his testimony today. Comey writes of the “independence” of the FBI and Justice Department from the executive branch:

My instincts told me that the one-on-one setting, and the pretense that this was our first discussion about my position, meant the dinner was, at least in part, an effort to have me ask for my job and create some sort of patronage relationship. That concerned me greatly, given the FBI’s traditionally independent status in the executive branch.

This much is defensible, since he speaks of a “tradition,” although sneaking in the word “status” suggests some official categorization of the FBI as independent of the Executive Branch. But, later:

At one point, I explained why it was so important that the FBI and the Department of Justice be independent of the White House. I said it was a paradox: Throughout history, some Presidents have decided that because “problems” come from Justice, they should try to hold the Department close. But blurring those boundaries ultimately makes the problems worse by undermining public trust in the institutions and their work.

This is still defensible.

But later in the document, he segues quietly into an assertion that the FBI is an independent agency:

I did not understand the President to be talking about the broader investigation into Russia or possible links to his campaign. I could be wrong, but I took him to be focusing on what had just happened with Flynn’s departure and the controversy around his account of his phone calls. Regardless, it was very concerning, given the FBI’s role as an independent investigative agency.

Sorry! Nowhere in the Constitution is the FBI (or DoJ) defined as anything other than a part of the Executive Branch. The FBI didn’t exist in 1787, and wouldn’t for almost a century and a half.

Which brings us to Andrew McCarthy, explaining why President Trump had full authority to say what he did without compromising any ethics or laws:

Rush transcript:

>> Tucker: That was James Comey a month ago telling the Senate Judiciary Committee that the president never tried to improperly influence him on this investigation with Russia. He’s coming back to the Senate, and he may be telling a different story. We will to find out tomorrow. The hearing is not going to be on cable news. You may be watching tomorrow. What should you be looking for while and after James Comey’s speech? A lot of people are interested in the story, but the complex sprawling story with more innuendo and than fact. What should we be looking for?

McCARTHY: “I think the main thing that has really confused people about the discussion over the last week is the idea that pressure and obstruction of justice are the same thing. They are clearly not. Actually, if you look at what former Director Comey said in his testimony, the case that there was obstruction of justice is much worse today than it was yesterday. And I actually didn’t think there was any case yesterday. What people need to understand is putting pressure on a subordinate is not obstruction of justice. The key element of obstruction of justice is corruption, so if you don’t have pressure that is motivated by corruption, there is no obstruction. The president has as much authority or more to exercise. Prosecutorial discretion as any of the subordinates he has who are U.S. Attorneys or FBI agents across the country. I think the extent to which these two concepts have been inflated is important. Pressure is not obstruction.”

>> Tucker: So by discretion, you mean he does not have to sit passively by while people who work for him run these investigations? He can influence them?

>> He certainly can, but what I mean by discretion is, in the United States attorney’s office, every day, prosecutors dismiss cases even though they could be prosecuted for a variety of reasons. They way the facts and decide if it should be brought or not. If you look at what trump is alleged to have done here, he went to the process very much the way a prosecutor does in a Normal case. He says, this is what they are accusing the sky of, but on the opposite side of the ledger, he didn’t do anything inappropriate with Russia. He has already been laid low, I had to fire him yesterday. Enough is enough. You may not agree with that, but it’s not corrupt. It is the kind of calculus that happens all the time in the exercise of prosecutors. This whole business of whether trump [sic] sought a loyalty pledge from Comey or not. That, I think, is more complicated. To a certain degree, the FBI director is a subordinate, well, to a complete degree he is a subordinate to the president, and does owe the kind of loyalty that a an inferior officer owes to a superior officer. He has to obey orders and carry out policies and the like. What he really owes the president is honesty. And actually being honest, that is how you are best loyal to the president. So, the question is going to be, what did trump mean by it loyalty? I think to the extent that people say that loyalty is not a factor in these superior subordinate relationships. That is not the case.

>> Tucker: I hate to editorialize, but I don’t know a single person speaking on the behalf of the White House who can explain things as clearly as you can. Thank you for coming on. That was really interesting.
>> Thank you.

I have to agree with Tucker.

http://www.americanthinker.com...talk_with_comey.html

-rduckwor

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
That transcript is embarrassing for someone who is an educated person. "Way the facts?" Please!

Andrew McCarthy didn't say that, wouldn't say that.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
That transcript is embarrassing for someone who is an educated person. "Way the facts?" Please!

No kidding...geez louise Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Comey came off as a big pussy afraid of his own shadow. He should have been fired earlier. This whole affair is a ludicrous witch hunt and such of waste of time and resources. Makes me sick.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10985 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Comey came off as a big pussy afraid of his own shadow. He should have been fired earlier. This whole affair is a ludicrous witch hunt and such of waste of time and resources. Makes me sick.

Concur and a friend just termed Comey as a six foot eight pile of schiit! I heartily agree!

Hope he is prosecuted for leaking privledged information as he testified not only that he did it but why which revealed intent. Screw him!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps (likely) he said "weigh the facts" and it was mis-transcribed?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

Perhaps (likely) he said "weigh the facts" and it was mis-transcribed?

flashguy

Certainly.

Another.... "...this is what they are accusing the sky of, "

Probably was "accusing this guy of,"

I hate having to translate English into English because some worker who is supposed to can not.