SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    James Comey terminated
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Comey terminated Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
you can cross off that senator, no way their giving up the advantage.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
More grandstanding by Schumer. That man is absolute garbage. He cares NOTHING about the country just his own personal power.

I would love to have someone ask him, on camera, if he would support a special prosecutor to investigate the Clintons. And if says no ask him why. After all there is more evidence of Clinton wrongdoing than Russian interference.

Schumer and Harry Reid have poisoned the well, particularly the Senate.

Sasse: We Have A Crisis Of Public Trust

He’s not wrong.

Senator Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) appeared on CBS’ “This Morning” on Monday and declared that there are some trust issues going on between the public and our government.

Said Sasse:

“I think we have a crisis of public trust right now and we need to restore that,” he said during an interview on CBS “This Morning.”

“The FBI’s a really special institution and the American people need to know they can believe in it.”

And the problem is not all on the shoulders of the FBI.

The position of FBI Director is a 10-year term, and is meant to be nonpartisan, separate from politics.

Currently, the Trump administration seems to be considering politicians for the role of FBI Director, which some have praised, but others are a bit apprehensive about, as they feel politicians cannot act as impartial investigators and arbiters of the law.

Sasse went on:

“I want to restore the rule of law but also the institutional conventions around that so there’s more trust,” he said.

Pointing to the low approval rating of Congress:

“And we act like that’s normal and sustainable. It’s not,” he said. “All of our institutions are in doubt.”

It was inevitable. Decades if in-fighting, and the last decade being particularly nasty, with politicians actively pushing members of their party to believe that fellow Americans who don’t agree with them are wicked, backwards, dangerous, or just really bad people has caused a breakdown is societal cooperation. At some point, those politicians had to know that they’d be swept up in this maelstrom they created.

We need to restore balance and trust in our system, but that needs to happen at the top, with politicians holding themselves to account, regardless of party, weeding out the corruption, and keeping a well-defined dividing line between politics and law enforcement.

http://www.redstate.com/sweeti...crisis-public-trust/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
willing to bet that UpChuck Schumer will do everything he can to block any and every nomination put up

if Trump nominated ol' Chuckie, would he vote against himself based on principle

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53775 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53775 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
you can cross off that senator, no way their giving up the advantage.
The Texas Governor would select a replacement, and would be a good Republican. I don't think the Democrats would allow confirmation of even a lackluster Republican like Cornyn, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
We need to restore balance and trust in our system, but that needs to happen at the top, with politicians holding themselves to account, regardless of party, weeding out the corruption, and keeping a well-defined dividing line between politics and law enforcement.
Given the attitudes and agendas of 'both' of the current political parties, I'm not going to hold my breath on anything even close to that ever occurring.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Given the attitudes and agendas of 'both' of the current political parties, I'm not going to hold my breath on anything even close to that ever occurring.

I doubt he will do it, but there would be enough votes to confirm. 52 anyway.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Senator Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) appeared on CBS’ “This Morning” on Monday and declared that there are some trust issues going on between the public and our government.

In his spare time Senator Sasse doubles as Captain Obvious, known for his kooky and fun loving comments regarding trends as old as dirt.

Welcome to the party, Senator.

Now DO SOMETHING about it.

LEAD, BY EXAMPLE.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Sen John Cornyn has taken himself out of consideration for the new FBI Director

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Trump had several reporters in the Oval office this afternoon. They all report this:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Trump told reporters Thursday afternoon “we're very close to an FBI director” and that the pick would be announced soon. When asked whether Lieberman was among the finalists, he replied yes.

A White House spokesman declined to comment.

The pick would be an unorthodox one – the FBI is not usually run by politicians. Additionally, Lieberman is 75 years old, and FBI directors are typically appointed to serve 10-year terms.

http://www.politico.com/story/...i-frontrunner-238563

Is this about getting the best director?
Or appealing to the Democrats to shut up?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6362 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
"Or appealing to the Democrats to shut up?"

Hey, I'll take it!

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump told reporters Thursday afternoon “we're very close to an FBI director” and that the pick would be announced soon. When asked whether Lieberman was among the finalists, he replied yes.

A White House spokesman declined to comment.

The pick would be an unorthodox one – the FBI is not usually run by politicians. Additionally, Lieberman is 75 years old, and FBI directors are typically appointed to serve 10-year terms.

http://www.politico.com/story/...i-frontrunner-238563

I have read that Joe Lieberman is Modern Orthodox, not unorthodox. Cool

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a radical idea- how 'bout we wait to hear the pick before we start scrutinizing motivations?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109011 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
McConnell suggested the replacement ought to be Merrick Garland.

That's right, the former Supreme Court nominee, who is Chief Judge of the DC Circuit Court of Appeal. Before you knee jerk about McConnell, think about it.

He has DOJ experience as a prosecutor. The God Damned Commies could hardly vote against him, having qualified him for sainthood trying to get him on the court.

If nominated to the FBI and confirmed, that would create a vacant seat on the Court of Appeals that would have to be filled. Lordy, lordy. The DC circuit is the first among equals.

Of course, Garland might not want the job.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, Garland might not want the job.

He's already said he doesn't want it.

-rduckwor

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Garland said no, already. And, why wouldn't he? A lifetime appointment, where you could wreck havoc with your decisions (depending on who your enemy is) vs. a 10-year term (max), where the President could boot you anytime. Hmm, tough choice.

Q

Posts: 27495 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Garland said no, already. And, why wouldn't he? A lifetime appointment, where you could wreck havoc with your decisions (depending on who your enemy is) vs. a 10-year term (max), where the President could boot you anytime. Hmm, tough choice.

It is wreak havoc, and even the people who don't agree with Garland politically don't think of him as a "havoc-wreaker."

But I agree. There aren't many jobs I'd prefer to that of a United States Appeals Court justice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

It is wreak havoc, and even the people who don't agree with Garland politically don't think of him as a "havoc-wreaker."

But I agree. There aren't many jobs I'd prefer to that of a United States Appeals Court justice.

It's a pretty good gig, isn't it? Lifetime job, during good behavior, decent pay, your own hours usually, lots of reading, paid health care. Most people are nice to you, but no trials to preside over, but you have to listen to lawyers quite a lot, and your circle of friends and associated must be somewhat circumscribed.

One of my friends, now on the bench, says he can't go to lunch with anyone but other judges and his former partners.