SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best tool for cutting down saplings, mountain laurel?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best tool for cutting down saplings, mountain laurel? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I keep a reciprocating saw (sawzall) in the truck with four batteries and a pack of blades. I use it mainly on my miles of fencerow.

By the time I’m through four batteries, I’m ready to go to the house. And the blades are cheap enough I don’t worry about getting them into the dirt or occasionally into the barbed wire.

But it sounds like a tractor or skid steer with a rough cut shredder is more compatible with your project.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Is napalm out of the question? Big Grin

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’m not familiar with mountain laurel… is it something that a good, well placed swing with a sharp axe or machete could get through in one swing? That would be faster, and a better workout, than a saw. But only if it worked.

What about a cordless circular saw with the guard pinned back, like you’d use it to trim a standing fence post. I would think that would be faster than the reciprocating saw, which was my first thought.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
I rented a walk behind brush cutter from Home Depot for a similar project. I was about $100 for a day and it did a good job on brush up to 2.5-3 inches.

For your budget the above is your answer.
I have owned one of these for years now and it has been great.
https://www.drpower.com/Power-...h-Mower/p/AT47330BEN

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I used a brush blade with teeth on my Stihl FS90 to cut Mountain Laurel on my property.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EC...9500120331/100144293

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Look at Silky saws and choppers: https://silkysaws.com/

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Viola,
Maybe a little to much but looks impressive.

Link

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Reciprocating saw with a handful of pruning blades was my first thought. Or someone with a bobcat to scrape the whole thing flat.

That is what I would use also. The pruning blades will go through that like a hot knife in butter.

Posts: 12746 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I might add that a weed eater with a saw tooth blade saves your back by not having to bend over. It is fast and inexpensive if you have a weed eater.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I went north to clear brush this spring with my old Homelite whacker and a Forester chain saw style blade. Got there and she just wouldn't run right. Got pissed, went to town and Tractor Supply and bought a Husky with the brush blade. (well over the $200 range though) It made short work of the weeds and saplings. Put the Forrester blade on and cut down many genuine small trees. It's a beast, glad I got it, the old Homie never would have done it.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I realize most suggest tools with engines, there are alternatives. We bought our brushy 5 acres years ago, I cleaned much of it up.

I did use a chainsaw at times, but also did a lot with loping shears & a small hand saw. The idea was to cut close to the ground, later the Dr Brush mower or regular lawn mower could mow.

Like you say, don’t need the whole 7 cleared right away. Hiring the brush hog leaves you with a stumpy mess.

I’d do most in colder months, pile in an area for burning. I may not be an expert at everything, but do well at brush eradication.

Posts: 6194 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post