SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Measles Outbreak—2019
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measles Outbreak—2019 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Our daughter is still on maternity leave with our now, 6 week old granddaughter. She’s come down with some sort of upper respiratory crud and our daughter, fearing RSV, contacted her pediatrician about bringing the baby in to be looked at. Her doctor told her, “No, I don’t think that’s a good idea; we’re dealing with this measles outbreak and I’m afraid she might be exposed.”

Measles was declared “eliminated” in the U.S. in 2000. The CDC confirms cases in 22 states. Here is the CDC’s explanation:
quote:
The majority of people who got measles were unvaccinated.

Measles is still common in many parts of the world including some countries in Europe, Asia, the Pacific, and Africa.

Travelers with measles continue to bring the disease into the U.S.

Measles can spread when it reaches a community in the U.S. where groups of people are unvaccinated.

Snopes (as could be predicted) informs us that it would be “False” to say illegals are responsible for the outbreak.

Whatever the reason, our granddaughter can’t go to the doctor because of the risk of exposure.

CDC Link

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Then there are the anti-vaxers who are citing bogus studies.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one in Michigan appears to have been started by a traveler from Israel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...p.com/amp/3411582002

Compounded by unvaccinated persons. And then of course they are saying that if you were born before a certain year, you may have only gotten one dose of the vaccine which may not be effective.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snopes (as could be predicted) informs us that it would be “False” to say illegals are responsible for the outbreak.

There is no way sick and unvaccinated people from countries with substandard health services could have brought diseases with them. How could one even leap to such crazy conclusions?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
The one in Michigan appears to have been started by a traveler from Israel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...p.com/amp/3411582002

Compounded by unvaccinated persons. And then of course they are saying that if you were born before a certain year, you may have only gotten one dose of the vaccine which may not be effective.

There is a reason why people who work in the Healthcare profession get "boosters" periodically. Even an administered vaccine has a shelf life.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Our daughter is still on maternity leave with our now, 6 week old granddaughter. She’s come down with some sort of upper respiratory crud and our daughter, fearing RSV, contacted her pediatrician about bringing the baby in to be looked at. Her doctor told her, “No, I don’t think that’s a good idea; we’re dealing with this measles outbreak and I’m afraid she might be exposed.”...

For infants/young children with the "crud" typically from a viral infection, and that are not "ill-appearing", OTC cough cold meds are useless. They do nothing, and are likely to do harm. Best thing for them is frequent saline nose rinse and suctioning. RSV is treated the same way, unless the child is sick enough to be hospitalized.

Notify the pediatrician immediately, if the granddaughter has a temp of 100.4 F or higher, or if she displays any of the following:
- lethargic (difficult to arouse)
- respiratory distress (grunting, nasal flaring, using rib muscles to breathe, wheezing, apnea, pale, lips/hands/feet turn blue)

The younger the infant is, the higher risk of rapid deterioration.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Snopes is definitely left-leaning but these outbreaks are becoming an issue from stupid people thinking not vaccinating their children is a good thing.

Measles is highly contagious. Walk though a room where someone who had measles was and 9 out of 10 exposed, who are not vacinated will get it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Our daughter is still on maternity leave with our now, 6 week old granddaughter. She’s come down with some sort of upper respiratory crud and our daughter, fearing RSV, contacted her pediatrician about bringing the baby in to be looked at. Her doctor told her, “No, I don’t think that’s a good idea; we’re dealing with this measles outbreak and I’m afraid she might be exposed.”...

For infants/young children with the "crud" typically from a viral infection, and that are not "ill-appearing", OTC cough cold meds are useless. They do nothing, and are likely to do harm. Best thing for them is frequent saline nose rinse and suctioning. RSV is treated the same way, unless the child is sick enough to be hospitalized.

Notify the pediatrician immediately, if the granddaughter has a temp of 100.4 F or higher, or if she displays any of the following:
- lethargic (difficult to arouse)
- respiratory distress (grunting, nasal flaring, using rib muscles to breathe, wheezing, apnea, pale, lips/hands/feet turn blue)

The younger the infant is, the higher risk of rapid deterioration.

Acknowledged

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Btw, I should clarify that the fever itself is not a reason to freak out, but, in very young infants like your granddaughter (only 6 weeks old), it should be fully evaluated. The last time I did pediatric ER was 17 years ago, and things haven't changed much in terms of evaluation and management of febrile infants. Neonates less than 4 weeks old with a fever still get a full sepsis evaluation and admitted to hospital for empiric antibiotics, whether they are well or ill-appearing. Your granddaughter is outside of that window. The management of her age group is just slightly different from the less-than-4-weeks-old group.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It wouldn’t matter if a few immigrants infected with measles came into the country if everyone here was vaccinated as they should be.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It wouldn’t matter if a few immigrants infected with measles came into the country if everyone here was vaccinated as they should be.

Is it not possible to have a near full vaccination and an orderly process for people to come to the United States? I really think both are the way to go.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Is it not possible to have a near full vaccination and an orderly process for people to come to the United States? I really think both are the way to go.

You want to reopen Ellis Island?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely. My family were refugees (from actual genocide, not poor economies), my grandfather speaks highly of the process and was joyed to set foot on the island. He did change his name, but I'm not sure if it was before or after Ellis.

I have zero problems with legal immigration and welcome every person we can that benefits our country, plus a reasonable number of charity and actual refuges in. I do believe they should be screened for aptitude and diseases. I do not find it evil to have a minimum entry requirement into our country. If you are not going to or don't even have the potential to help our country, then good luck with some kind of charity lottery.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Has anyone on here had the measles? I had them in the early 60's as a young boy, just after receiving the vaccine. I remember laying on pur couch burning up with a 106 degree temperature. My Mom called our family doctor who told her tp give me an alcohol bath to get the fever down. I never had any other care other than the doctor sneaking me in the back door of his office a few days later. Medical care in rural Pa in the 60's was a far cry from today!

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You missed my point. It’s not about immigration. It’s that if we’re trying to knock down or eliminate a disease from the population, the key is to attack the disease, not to tighten our immigration policies. As just one of many examples, people who have brought Ebola into the U.S. weren’t illegal immigrants. At the time there was no effective way of preventing the spread of that disease except by isolation, but that’s not true of measles. If a U.S. citizen who isn’t vaccinated leaves the country, gets infected, and comes back, he can spread the disease to others who aren’t vaccinated—all without any immigration laws or policies being violated.

Immigration is important, but has nothing to do with the measles problem except as a red herring to give the antivaxxers an excuse to not do the right thing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Skins881- great post. I agree with you 100%. Welcome, but do it legally.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Even vaccinations are not 100%. My wife had to get an extra vaccine before the titer test showed it worked.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
quote:

Actually, yes. (Or something similar.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

Snopes is definitely left-leaning but these outbreaks are becoming an issue from stupid people thinking not vaccinating their children is a good thing.

Measles is highly contagious. Walk though a room where someone who had measles was and 9 out of 10 exposed, who are not vacinated will get it.
But in your example the virus has to be present for the anti-vaxers to acquire Measles. So where is the virus coming from in the first place? Given the number of 3rd world refugees pouring over the southern border, its not a leap to think they could be providing the basis for the outbreak here.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
We are a knife edge away, in any given year, from a pandemic, measles being just one possibility. Influenza another, more likely, the Spanish Lady killing some 50 million or more globally in 1918. A single year. Or smallpox. Or Marburg. Or Cholera. All held at bay by the thinnest threads of social engineering, or weather, or distance, or luck. Remove one link, like social engineering (vaccinations), and it becomes more likely. We are one genetic variation away in any given year from global catastrophe. The anti-vaccination crowd are not harmless eccentrics.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post