SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Avoiding food from certain places.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avoiding food from certain places. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I don't want to get into debates about why I avoid food from certain countries. Like I don't buy food from chine for safety as well as social, political, economic, ethical and moral reasons. And I'll stress that I will believe they adulterate their products to turn a penny profit.

Other countries I avoid because of unintentional, infrequent but extremely hazardous concerns (ie - e.coli from mexico).

Can I just say I don't buy food from countries where I wouldn't drink the water? Or is that too contentious as well?

If people ask you, for example, why you don't buy food from china, how do you respond to avoid further discussion?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You don't even have to say "I have my reasons," because you don't need any justification for your tastes. You can, however, deflect questioning with a polite "If it's all the same, I'd rather not discuss it." Anyone who inquires further can go fish.

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I don't want to get into debates about why I avoid food from certain countries. Like I don't buy food from chine for safety as well as social, political, economic, ethical and moral reasons. And I'll stress that I will believe they adulterate their products to turn a penny profit.

Other countries I avoid because of unintentional, infrequent but extremely hazardous concerns (ie - e.coli from mexico).

Can I just say I don't buy food from countries where I wouldn't drink the water? Or is that too contentious as well?

If people ask you, for example, why you don't buy food from china, how do you respond to avoid further discussion?

It depends on the situation. If it is a serious question from a friend, I’d probably explain my reasoning. If it anyone else, they don’t need to know where I do or do not buy food from. The odds are good I might answer, “nunyun mindyun”, slang for none of your business, mind your own business. I have trouble imagining a situation where the question would come up.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like that. Why? I have my reasons. What are they? You don't need to know.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Some of the best Avocados I've ever tasted came from Mexico, a place I won't go and would never drink the water from or eat the food while there.

When I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca, we'd go into Nogales or Naco once a month or so and I never ate and only drank beer from a bottle that I personally removed the cap from.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say I have never been asked that question in my entire life.

Are you talking about ordering at a restaurant or just buying food at the grocery store.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Food sourced internationally is becoming much more prevalent, at least around here.

Soy beans (edamame), used to be grown and packaged in the US. Frozen mackerel (saba) from norway, japan, korea. Spinach, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, (other veggies you would eat raw). Certain asian condiments or snacks now made in china (despite korean or japanese brand). All of this now coming from china, mexico or some other non-top tier / questionable region. Seafood from India? Not sure about that....

Lots of stuff coming in from china or mexico. I check labels. When I check labels and then don't buy, people sometimes get curious.

Not sure about other parts of the country but around here, it's like I go to a chinese or mexican supermarket.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Depends in the tone of the questioning:

1. "Why?" "None ya God damn business"
2. "Why is that?" "Well..."

I know there is no tone there but hopefully you see what I means, is someone questioning your motives or being inquisitive?

Having never given it much thought, if it came up in conversation I'd be interested in hearing what you've learned.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm in the 1s1k camp. I check labels. I always have. I'm always looking to see if the garlic is from China. I've never been asked by anyone in a supermarket. I can't imagine this happening. On the other hand if someone I know is curious I'd offer the full explanation.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Related War Story:
My Cop buddies all raved about a family run Oriental restaurant on my beat. I was going to experience the cuisine myself until I saw something odd while passing the restaurant on patrol at 2 AM. All the doors and windows were standing wide open and the building was fully lit. In a parked car in the lot was the Oriental family.
When I asked the family what was going on, the response was "we kill bug". A heavy duty (and probably toxic) fumigation was in progress. Since that day, and ever since, when someone suggests an Oriental restaurant, I immediately flash back to "we kill bug"!
And decline to dine!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16118 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
how do you respond to avoid further discussion?

I borrow a line from the movie 'Bullitt'.... "You work your side of the street and I'll work mine."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Related War Story:
My Cop buddies all raved about a family run Oriental restaurant on my beat. I was going to experience the cuisine myself until I saw something odd while passing the restaurant on patrol at 2 AM. All the doors and windows were standing wide open and the building was fully lit. In a parked car in the lot was the Oriental family.
When I asked the family what was going on, the response was "we kill bug". A heavy duty (and probably toxic) fumigation was in progress. Since that day, and ever since, when someone suggests an Oriental restaurant, I immediately flash back to "we kill bug"!
And decline to dine!

many moons ago I worked as a meat manager in a high end neighorhood,

the store, a then sunbelt chain, never had dumpsters out back, not the sealed compactor types,

there was a pizza/sub joint, and a chinese food joint in the shopping center,

the old dude in the family would dig thru the dumpster every single day, to see what we tossed, and usually pulled a box or 2 of veg and whatever else he could get out of it,

we all stopped eating at that chinese restaurant,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Prior to my retirement I ran a kitchen on a gas field in Alaska. I ordered in a 50lb case of halibut. After cooking some up I noticed it quite mushy. I went out to the freezer and noticed on the case it said "Halibut from the icy cold waters of AK caught by Russian long liners and processed in China".
I called FSA and told them this was totally unacceptable. Send me a case of Halibut harvested, brined and frozen in AK. and pickup this case at the airport.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Different topic I had in mind from reading the title.

I have a couple of shares of Chipotle but I don't eat there ever since the first case of fecal contamination reports came out.

As for country of origin? I would be hesitant to eat shrimp or prawns from China. But I don't have much control to a large degree over where my food comes. So why waste my effort on the small percentage that may be under my control.

If food is in front of me and it tastes good, I don't ask where it came from. I don't go out of my way to vet the chain of custody my food went through other than what I casually gather.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19700 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I avoid most chain restaurants, and most fast food, most of the time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wow, I've never heard, been asked, or asked someone about where they will or won't buy food from since you brought it up. The only hard no for me is anything from China or anything fished near China or India. I wouldn't even swim near China (if presented the chance), why would I eat food from their contaminated waters.

As for the no to Mexico idea, I don't really think that is possible, a lot of vegetables are grown there and and large amount of avocados, like 90% or something come from Mexico, pretty sure every Hass one comes from Mexico.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to worry about adulterated products from overseas. Under the Food Safety Modernization Act, the FDA requires all importers to verify that the product meet US standards. Just like it was made by them in the US.
Rest assured that with the Feds on the case you are protected. (Insert sarcasm emoji here)

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've always had the rule, don't eat seafood more than 5 hours or so away from the ocean. Smile

Of course the only time I ever got sick from seafood, I was 5 minutes from the water. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Why would the conversation of where you dislike purchasing food from come up with a person whom you don't want to discuss it with?
I'm very protective of my fucks and I won;'t expend one for what someone thinks of where and on what I spend my money or put into my body.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
About the only food I avoid is truck stop sushi.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post