This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7110014034

September 18, 2017, 01:36 PM
jhe888
What to do in Maine for 5 weeks
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Hookers and blow? Beat, JHE to it Big Grin

The hookers have that accent, though. "Hey, buddy, I'll show ya a wicked good time."

Fishing would be on my agenda, too. And lobster eating.

Are you there during hunting season? Moose hunt? But remember the old joke about moose hunting:

What's the best place to shoot a moose?

Right near the pickup.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 18, 2017, 01:36 PM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I love Maine... In the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Big Grin

If you go out in the "boonies" in the spring the black flies will eat you alive, I am told.
September 18, 2017, 01:53 PM
smlsig
We just came back from a 2 week trip though Nova Scotia and Maine and I think the guys have pretty well covered it.
I would add that if you are driving up through NH and you would have to) the state's liquor stores are conveniently located in rest stops and have some of the cheapest liquor prices around so get some either going and/or coming home..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
September 18, 2017, 02:26 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I love Maine... In the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Big Grin

If you go out in the "boonies" in the spring the black flies will eat you alive, I am told.

It varies a bit from year to year, but essentially, you were told right.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 18, 2017, 08:03 PM
220-9er
How far away is Sig? Might be worth a trip one day.
Beautiful coastline but the waters cold, even in the summer.

September 18, 2017, 08:44 PM
MikeinNC
My ship pulled into Portland Once....

I got really really REALLY drunk and had to go back to the ship...

The next day I paced myself and found it to be a lot of fun, the ladies were nice, the town was nice, It WAS really cold (December), I can neither confirm nor deny any sailoring occurred....that is all

Nova Scotia was a lot more ahem, er, betterer for the meeting of the ladies....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
September 19, 2017, 07:32 PM
ffemt44
Well I just had my meeting and head up Monday for a 7am start. Turns out the job is in Lewiston not Portland. Hiking and fishing are definitely on the plan. I'll visit Acadia as well. The job has also been extended to 7 weeks. I'll shoot emails to the guys who extended invites once I get up there and settled in. Maybe a group dinner or a few individual ones. Either way my treat.
September 19, 2017, 07:47 PM
Scuba Steve Sig
I'd steer clear of Deery, unless you want to float.

September 20, 2017, 11:16 AM
DJ_Boston
You get to go to L.A.? Sorry. Portland has some nice things there. L.A. is a bit rustic in comparison. Much like Minneapolis, there is a large Somali population. I just googled it and out of 36000 people, 5000 are Somali. That is a pretty large number.

I'm from Maine originally, so I feel OK ripping it a bit. Try coffee brandy- it is what everyone seems to drink up there.

You can still get lobsters that far inland, and they will cook them for you at the grocery store if you are not on unlimited expenses.

Get to Portland, get out to the mountains and look around. you may have some nice foliage, since you will be up there a few weeks.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar
September 20, 2017, 11:50 AM
Blackmore
Lewiston? I spent 4 years in college there '71-'75. Sorry to say it has changed tremendously. Plus side is you are slightly closer to both Mt. Washington and Quebec City. Definitely get out of town on your free time.

Truth: The New Hate Speech
September 20, 2017, 04:56 PM
Ozarkwoods
Fall color drives a must

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
September 20, 2017, 05:05 PM
liner
Bissell Brothers Brewery is a must.
September 20, 2017, 07:24 PM
Chance228
hike and fish your ass off
September 20, 2017, 08:18 PM
sjtill
Don't forget canoeing or kayaking. My wife's cousin has a daughter who lives around Bah Hahbah, loves to kayak.

September 20, 2017, 08:18 PM
ptb351
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I'd steer clear of Deery, unless you want to float.

I live in "Derry," near the manhole that was the inspiration. We actually went to see IT tonight...scarier than I thought it would be.
September 20, 2017, 08:46 PM
ruger357
Coworker went for a week. He literally ate lobster at every meal. Not much else to do.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
September 20, 2017, 11:38 PM
jimmy123x
Bring your passport and take the fast ferry to Novia Scotia from Arcadia/Bar Harbor area.