SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So my son turned 16...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my son turned 16... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
And is now driving. PA has some odd laws, he had to get a "supervised driving permit". Basically he can only drive with a licensed 21y/o+ driver. He has to log 65hrs driving time, and is eligible to get his license in August. Even then I don't believe he can have more than 1 person under the ago of 18 in his vehicle. He's getting the "Mom-mobile", a 2010 Hyundai Tucson that was previously my wife's.

He won't get his present until May. I discovered a range nearby that rents full auto firearms. Right now he's leaning towards either an M60 or M249SAW, Thompson .45 Sub, and undecided on the third. He gets a few bonus guns, a .50BMG, maybe a Desert Eagle .50AE, and possibly a S&W .500. The range is closed until April, and that date was the first Saturday that would work for my schedule. I told him to get something he has never shot before, even if it's a semi. Why we didn't pick an AR, AK, etc... He was very excited when I showed him the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmeRROzi_4k

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun gift for him...and you! Well played.

Cali has even weirder laws for teen drivers. They can get a learners permit at 15 1/2. Can only practice with someone 25 years or older in the car with them.

When they turn 16 they can get their license but can't drive others under the age of 20 unless a licensed adult over 25 is with them. This includes any siblings, so forget having your teen drive your younger kids. They can't drive after 11:00pm or before 5:00am. That was fun when my daughter was at school all day and then had to perform at a football that would go long and finish at midnight.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F12517:
Sounds like a fun gift for him...and you! Well played.

Cali has even weirder laws for teen drivers. They can get a learners permit at 15 1/2. Can only practice with someone 25 years or older in the car with them.

When they turn 16 they can get their license but can't drive others under the age of 20 unless a licensed adult over 25 is with them. This includes any siblings, so forget having your teen drive your younger kids. They can't drive after 11:00pm or before 5:00am. That was fun when my daughter was at school all day and then had to perform at a football that would go long and finish at midnight.

Slight corrections: Their license is probationary for one year unless they are 18 when they get their license. (The nannies in Sacramento wanted to move that from 18 to 21, but I don’t know whether that bill went anywhere.) Probationary drivers can carry siblings with written permission from their parents.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Maine drivers can get their permit at 15 after completing driver's ed, and apply for a probational license at 16.
The probational license is for 270 days, and they cant't drive with non-family passengers unless someone over 21 is with them. If they get any moving violations at all during the probation period, the probation extends for 1 year. A second violation results in suspension.

As for the gift, Awesome idea! If your son hasn't fired a MP-5, I'd suggest that, to me it's akin to the Ferrari of guns. In my opinion, the M60 is classic (but honestly boring after the first rip, they are really only fun in pairs, AKA echoing fire) however the MP-5 is just fun.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I went to high school in Nebraska. If you lived 1.5 miles or further from the school, you could legally drive with a school permit to and from school when you were 14. Although I do know some kids who actually lived on their own during the week, and went back to their ranch on the weekends. It was ~40 miles away from the school. But in that area, most kids had been driving tractors or farm equipment at very early ages.

Gibb, I do believe they have suppressed MP5's of various calibers. I have mentioned that to him. He gets to choose 3 full auto, and 2 "bonus" guns. The .50BMG was $10 extra a round.

He asked if I was going to shoot, I told him no. Although it's not crazy expensive, it's enough I can't justify the cost for me. I've shot full auto's before, so the lure is kind of lost on me. They don't have a MK19 anyways. LOL.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I think he'll have a fun and memorable time whatever he chooses.

As for the Mk19... there is a lot to be said about saying "F-you and the platoon around you" from 900m away, but lugging it around and setting it up kills that memory fast!
Now, if you ever get the chance, check out the Mk47, its a smaller, lighter, smarter Mk19.
I happened into a project involving those at one point... I was instantly jealous.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post