Find
Notify
Tools

My new bike Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I bought this about five weeks ago and have been meaning to show it off here. It is a Honda CTX 1300. I bought it used with 3k miles, couldn't justify buying new for another $6,000. It handled beautifully, had ABS, traction control, Bluetooth and a nice sound system. I sold my 2005 Honda Shadow Sabre shortly after buying this. Definitely a step up.

On the way to work 5/10 a lady decided to turn left in front of me, she sees me and stops in my lane. There are cars traveling beside me in the right lane, can't get over, all I can do is brake as hard as I can and brace for impact. I hit her on the right side of her hood, went flying over her van, did a flip and landed on my side. I couldn't breath for a few moments, excruciating pain in the middle right side of my back. I tried to get up, but couldn't from the pain. She is in hysterics, a guy came over and had me laying still, I wasn't gonna move anyway. Seemed like only a few minutes and the bambalance has me on the way to the hospital. That was the worst ride ever, with the pain in my back on a hard back board.

They took my to the trauma center, cut off my clothes for an eval and then a cat scan. 7 rib fractures.. OUCH... I also have lots of cuts, bruising and abrasions. They kept me there for a day and a half for observation, there was some bruising on my intestines they want to keep an eye on. Looks like all is well. This is the first bike I have owned where people were trying to run me over, it happened about three more time in those five weeks, someone cutting me off or turning in front of me. I believe I am done with motorcycles fellas.

I am pretty sure it's totaled, frame is bent pretty good. Sorry if I am rambling, on some pretty good pain meds.

Sounds like her insurance is stepping up to the plate, we will see

Posts: 5528 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Jesus!

Glad you're basically ok, damn shame about the bike.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15486 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I read the first paragraph and then was admiring the great-looking sleek design of your bike in the picture below.

Then I read the rest. Yikes! Best wishes for speedy healing and a full recovery.

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry that happened to you.

NOW, find an Attorney who's an expert in handling motorcycle related accidents and sue that BITCH for everything she owns, or will own in the future.

IMO, you have a very good case for pain and suffering.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you're alive and (relatively) well and on the mend. R.e. giving up riding: I've been a rider all my life, and can't imagine myself giving it up...but that said, I've been fortunate to have never gone through your experience and so am honestly not sure what I'd do in the same situation. I wish you luck figuring that out...that's got to be hard.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I hope your ok...

I got hit by a left turner who didn't see me about 25 years ago. That was it for me as far as bikes go. I never rode again.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3633 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Damn, I hate to hear this, being a biker for the better part of 50 yrs myself. I hope you heal quickly and fully.

I'm 70 this year and decided to hang up my helmet because my reaction time has taken a big hit due to age. I had a similar incident to yours a couple of years ago and I was able to counter steer behind him by mere inches. That pretty much did it for me.

That is a gorgeous bike. I hope it doesn't get totaled.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Glad you're on the mend.
Similar situation for me about 15 years ago.
Want to get back on...admire bikes from afar every day...but just can't.

Posts: 3858 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Get well.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Only two kinds of riders, right? Glad you're still on this side of the dirt.

I've contemplated hanging it up permanently, and then every March there is a perfect spring day......

Posts: 3046 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
BTDT... except I got whacked from behind while waiting for a left turner to be able to turn. Ive been told I'm insane for getting back in the saddle after a totaled bike and injuries that by all accounts should have been much worse. I can certainly understand your decision to hang it up.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Glad you are basically OK. Could have been a lot worse. Good thing you are a "Big Swede" and tough as a boot!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3793 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you survived. There are too many fools driving, these days.

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Glad you seem to be on the mend and I can't fault the fact that wreck is ending your bike riding days. If you don't want to ride, and it's no longer fun, I would quit.

I will say this though..... I was in a similar accident in May 1995, a Suburban pulled out and broadsided me on my new 1995 BMW. As I lay on the side of the road and later in the hospital what most worried me was that I might miss my up coming July cross country trip. But I mended up, his insurance bought me a new BMW, and 60 days later I was able to make my planned ride.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hope you get better soon.

I hope her insurance company employs the checkbook defense. That is, they whip it out and write you a big check. If she is at fault, and it sounds like she is, those injuries are serious enough that you may wish to consult with a lawyer to get a feel for what a settlement ought to be like in a situation like this. They may offer the value of the bike and your medical expenses, but I can tell you that your damages are far more than that. That is a middle 5 figure wreck at least - maybe more. Hell, your hospital bill must be at least $10K.

And, this is what scares me every time I consider getting a motorcycle again.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bikes can be fixed easily, humans not so much. I am glad that it looks like you are going to be ok. Motorcycling is a VERY unforgiving activity. I occasionally watch horrifically brutal crash videos to remind myself how quickly things can go bad on two wheels. It is very sobering...so much so that it occasionally makes me feel uneasy while riding and keeps me from pushing it. I'm sorry to hear about this and wish you a speedy recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved riding in my youth and young adulthood, but there is no way I would ride on the streets today with these imbeciles constantly screwing with their phones.

I am glad your injuries were not more serious. I echo the thought of finding a good accident lawyer.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Hope all ends well for you.

Springtime every year it's the same thing. People are not watching for motorcycles and WHAM. I'm 68 and have been riding since I was 17, keep wondering when and if I'll hang it up.

Oh, if someone comes up with the idea of "repairing" your bike's frame, tell them talk to your attorney. Newer bikes can have flimsy frames the never fix right, and most shops are not capable of it. The really good shops will refuse to citing the above and liabilities.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Glad you're still w/ us. Such a beautiful bike.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery. About 15 years ago an old woman parked her Buick on me. I finally switched over to a trike. Not quite the same, but still fun.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post