SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marzy's Cajun Flavor Assault
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marzy's Cajun Flavor Assault Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Makin Gumbo today!

The aroma just assaults your senses as this is simmering!

Tabitha's son is from Louisiana and was wanting some bit of home. We went out and bought everything fresh. The veggies, spices, shrimp.

What a difference fresh makes and not dried in a spice container. It smells like a New Orleans kitchen up in here today!

It took over an hour to get the roux right without burning it. There's an art and you can't be distracted.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you deliver??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Do you deliver??

I'm told I do.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks FANTASTIC, Marzy! I agree, the roux is a labor of love, but well worth it! Since I'm a novice craft sausage-maker, I do my own andouille for my gumbo. Mmmmmm

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I used some bacon grease in my roux.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Did he bring tasso?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Tony's Roux

I've been using this for years...much easier and I use it for brown gravies. Comes in a white mix too. Glad you stepped up to make your own!

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I used some bacon grease in my roux.

One more layer of great flavor!!

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Looks good. Did he bring tasso?

There is no tasso ham at my grocery store.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Gumbo rules! Looks really good, Marzy. I love fresh Gulf shrimp but don't put it in gumbo as they get tough when reheated. If you can find some Conecuh Cajun flavor sausage at Walmart it makes better gumbo than andouille (IMO). I'm going to Pensacola Beach for Thanksgiving and plan to bring back a cooler full of Conecuh and tasso. The westerners where we live now don't know cajun gumbo from a pirogue.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I use the Alton Brown method for a brick roux. 4 oz flour, 4 oz vegetable oil, in Dutch oven for an hour uncovered. Perfect and never burnt.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's the damage.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S l-i-v-i-n'!!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Am so glad that smells can not be passed over the internet because right now I would be having a serious withdrawal problem. Personaly do love me some good fresh seafood gumbo with Oysters over a scoop of rice and a bowl of tator salid using the tators that were in the pot while boiling the crawfish from a crawfish boil and side plate of seasoned hushpuppies and big tall glass of sweetened tea. Making myself hungry. .............................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I’m about to eat Boiled Crawfish

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Years ago when my girlfriend was married they were living in NY while the husband worked at Ft. Drum

She was missing home and started making gumbo for a few friends to eat for supper at her house. The other folks loved it but Debbie and her husband didn't. She came figured out it was the water up there that wasn't like ours here in South La.
Everything else was the same only the water was different.

We got some really good Boiled Crawfish in Morgan City, La today on our way home. They were just right.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I'd kick a door in for a bowl of that. Looks delicious!!

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love some filé in my gumbo.

Posts: 589 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a period of my military career where I was TAD (temporary additional duty) at BIW (Bath Iron Works) as part of the nucleus crew outfitting a new surface ship being built there. A local member of the Navy's permanent party Fleet Introduction Team at BIW was married to a Cajun gal. (FIT acted to assist with issues between the shipyard and the crew especially when it started with only two department heads representing the prospective crew, just the Chief Engineer and myself).

Every two weeks we'd get to fly home for a morale visit hitchhiking on a P3C to Florida to visit our families where the new ship would be homeported. We'd take fresh Maine lobster with us bought off the docks from lobstermen, iced down in coolers, and fly back with fresh Gulf shrimp. This Cajun gal would whip up some mighty fine huge pots of gumbo for all the Navy officers with that shrimp. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post