SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Collagen rich soup recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collagen rich soup recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I want to make a collagen rich soup using pressure cooker and slow simmering.

1) chicken bones or beef rib bones?
2) chicken: just wings with skin? Or whole chicken?
3) sear the chicken / beef pieces first? Blanche? Or just pressure cook with raw?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12729 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Chicken wings. I like to brown them in a high heat oven first.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Check with your butcher to see if he/she has any chicken feet (rich in collagen).

quote:
chicken bones or beef rib bones?

Do you want chicken soup or beef soup?

I would make the broth first. Roast the chicken bones/pieces or beef bones first, along with onion, carrot and celery (add any roasting juices to the stock pot). This makes for a richer, darker broth/stock. Add a couple of bay leaves and a bouquet garni (parsley stems, black peppercorns, thyme sprigs) to your stock pot.

Posts: 9050 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used chicken breasts with the bones and skin, but could easily use wings or feet (I just prefer chunks of breast meat in my soup). I slowly bring just the chicken, 4 bullion cubes and water to a boil then simmer for 3 hours......then I pull the breasts out and throw the skin and bones away and cut the meat into chunks and throw it back in there. You could simmer them longer to release more collagen possibly. Then I throw the chicken and raw veggies in (Carrots, onions etc.) for an hour then throw in egg noodles until their done and call it quits.

I have no interest in beef soup so can't help you there. Could also make a pork based soup with ribs.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I decided to use a package of wings and drumettes. Browning in the pressure cooker then pressure cooking. Then simmer for a couple hours.

Planning to filter out the meat and bones. I’ll use the soup with mirepoix. I’ll use the meat to make those Vietnamese spring rolls.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12729 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Be sure to crack the bones. We make venison stock with all the trimmings/sinew etc and split bones

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Ox tails.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You could also make Vietnamese Pho soup using your broth. Just add rice noodles and your choice of veggies and you're good to go. I love the stuff myself.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Ox tails.

This.

I made some last month, David Chang's recipe, very easy to make. PLENTY of collagen

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The Best Collagen Supplements Of 2019

https://smarter-reviews.com/lp...oOm-9eRoC0woQAvD_BwE

Top 5 Collagen Supplements

https://shop-owl.com/buying-gu...dJsQeORoCcZAQAvD_BwE

How to Make Bone Broth at Home, Including Recipes

https://draxe.com/nutrition/ho...-bone-broth-at-home/

I have been using Dr. Axe's bone broth for about a year. Lots of work to make it so I just buy it.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Marrow bones braised. Spread marrow on toast (yummy) take pan leftovers and use in whatever other collagen rich soups you plan on making.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20829 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Roast veal bones. Scrape off any fatty bubbles that occur. You want the bones toasted.
Put bones in water with mirepoix and bring to a simmer. Mirepoix should form a raft on top.
Keep at a strong simmer without breaking the raft for 24 hours.
Drain through a Chinois Strainer and refrigerate. Should be veal jello. It’s quite amazing stock.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow - ya'll are serious. Smile

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Bone broth has tremendous health benefits as you age. Great for the joints.

If you have a lot of free time and access to farm raised animals, it would be worthwhile.

You can find chicken and beef bone broth at Walmart.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That’s what I’ve heard and wanting to try it. Knees and better skin.

I used a couple dozen wings and drumettes today. Seems pretty good. Will taste it tomorrow. It doesn’t smell that great (to me) but the broth looks tasty.

Lots of chicken meat. I scooped it out, removed all the bones. Fried it and added my secret chili sauce. And used it to make Vietnamese style rolls. Chicken, mint, paper thin daikon (soaked), paper thin carrots, sliced Persian cucumbers in the rice paper wrap. Yum.

I forgot about ox tail. I’ll try that next.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You need to add apple cider vinegar to help break it down.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Wife just made oxtail soup. The best.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you would want the joint cartilage and tendons to put into that. beef ribs on their own do not have the cartilage, and don't render out so much gelatin.

Wings are good- but to me a waste of the best part of the bird.

can you put a cow foot in there? pigs feet are also great.

if you want to be more adventurist, chinese red cooked pigs feet are delicious, and full of gelatin.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Ox tails.

My better half makes beef broth from ox tails in the pressure cooker. The end result is so much better than the stuff you can buy at the store.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have a pot full of jelly this morning. Seems like wings worked pretty well. But agree that it is kind of a waste of wings. Also, a good amount of tedium picking out the bones from the meat.

I'll try ox tails next. Ox tails are good but a little harder to find - some times the store carries them, sometimes not.... I like ox tail soup with salt, a little sesame oil, sesame seed and diced scallions. With fresh rice....