SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleep talkers ,yeah people talking in their sleep
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep talkers ,yeah people talking in their sleep Login/Join 
posted
Living in this apt. for 15 years.
The 92 y. o. widow downstairs used to scare the BabyRuths out of me about
three times a year
by screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night,

That's how I learned about night terrors.

Recently she's changed it up a bit.

She gives dissertations or monologues or what ever. . . In her sleep.

Not in the phone and not recording her memoirs on tape.

It goes on for 30-45 minutes on a regular basis .

I want so badly to put it on YouTube.
If
It keeps me awake,
I just go flush and she wakes up.

The world keeps getting weirder and weirder

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Do you put a glass or a stethoscope to the floor?

My newlywed wife accused me of mumbling an other woman's name in my sleep. Was it true or was she bluffing with a jedi mind-trick? Either way, I was sweating bullets...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give her a break, It's not her fault.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

When you close your eyes and go to sleep
And it's down to the sound of a heartbeat
I can hear the things that you're dreaming about
When you open up your heart
And the truth comes out

You tell me that you want me
You tell me that you need me
You tell me that you love me

And I know that I'm right
'Cause I hear it in the night
I hear the secrets that you keep
When you're talking in your sleep
When I hold you in my arms at night
Don't you know you're sleeping in the spotlight
And all your dreams that you keep inside
You're telling me the secrets
That you just can't hide
When you close your eyes and you fall asleep
Everything about you is a mystery

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 35 years of apt. Living ,
She's one of the best neighbors a guy could hope to find.
I am not expressing displeasure ,
Just never experienced anyone babbling in their sleep , continuously before.

That's a new one.

As a pre teen, Both my sister and mom used to walk in their sleep about once a year each.

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy growing up that was a serious sleep talker. I remember the first time I heard it. We were on a church mission trip and there were about 6 or 7 of us sleeping the this churches basement and my dude just starts screaming bloody murder. Then started screaming help me, help me, guys you gotta help me.
I was across the room and started telling him it was OK he was fine and things like that. The he started screaming at he and hollered “how the hell do you know? You’re all the way over there!!”
After that he was quiet and did not say another word. He had zero recollection of it in the morning.
I spent the night at his house growing up a number of times and many similar instances. One night he and his sister how had the bedroom next door but their bed were on the same wall had an all out screaming match arguing and yelling with each other about complete nonsense for about 20 minutes. Neither recalled it in the morning.

Our oldest son had at least weekly from year 1 to 2. Pretty sure I posted about it here back then as it was terrifying. He would just cry and scream bloody murder with his eyes wide open, never blinking, never acknowledging you were there with him, that you were holding, and trying to console him.
You would just sit there rocking him for about 20 minutes he would finally stop pretty much instantaneously and be asleep.
Fortunately they finally just stop one day.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s been times when work was so stressful and busy I jumped out of bed from a dead sleep jabbering about work clients. Happened about 3 times in last decade Scared the crap out of my wife. Funny how the brain works.

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Night terrors are treatable. Children have them and most grow out of them. Adults with PTSD often have them. There are other causes as well.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You clearly need a nicer apartment.

Or to better differentiate between "downstairs" and "the lower bunk in my room".

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My college roommate was quite the sleep talker, he would actually hold conversations with whoever was present. His girlfriend at the time would question him extensively about his feelings for other women, and how he spent his money. He never lied (as far as we could tell), and would have no memory of the interaction when he awoke. Made for some quite dramatic episodes as his girlfriend was very much the controlling type. Oddly, and this is almost 50 years later, they are still the best of friends although no longer romantic.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
I hear it is a tight real estate market in Henry County.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You clearly need a nicer apartment.

I could indeed go get a newer apt. But with an attached garage and basement storage
I'd be paying three times the rent, easily.

But it's not anywhere near worth it when I have three neighbors of the quality and caliber that I have currently.

I am the youngest at 65 y.o.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^
I hear it is a tight real estate market in Henry County.

It was for nine months, but that's over
A dozen homes sold in three days,
Last year
Now
We have five that have been for sale for over a month

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess it's a good thing that you like all your neighbors, considering it sounds like you four can all hear every word of each other's conversations.

Do you have to coordinate what all of you are going to watch on TV each night, to avoid overlapping soundtracks?

Big Grin

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Folks this not an uncommon thing in my house as I have a very similar problem. I can carry on entire conversations in my sleep and never know what I said in the morning. We discovered this when I was a young Lieutenant in the Army. I had a soldier in my platoon who kept going AWOL and getting into serious trouble. MPs solution when they caught a soldier at that time was to release him back to unit so off he would go again only this time he robbed a pawn shop and took off. I got word through some other soldiers that he was slipping in back at night and I told the CQ (charge of quarters, the NCO in charge of the barracks at night) to notify me if he spotted him. He called me around 1AM telling me he spotted him. I then ordered the CQ to get some other soldiers and physically handcuff him to the radiator in the CQ office and if he wasn't there when I got in the next morning he was getting busted. Next morning imagine my surprise when I saw him handcuffed to the radiator. When I asked about it he told me he was just following my orders. Later when I asked my wife she confirmed what the CQ had said and filled in a lot of blanks. I did not remember any of it. The handcuffed soldier, well seems like every one in the chain of command all the way up to Post Commander got a good laugh at how I had handled the situation and the Provost Officer was convinced to change his attitude on locking up serious cases and the young man sat in a cell till his civilian trial which sent him to prison. After that we started paying attention to my actions and discovered that this happened very often and I always acted in a logical manner and handled things just as I would when I was awake. We finally solved the problem by putting the phone on my wife's side of bed and she would answer it and then when she was certain I was awake she would give me the phone. Last major incident happened in 2011 when I slipped on some ice getting out of my truck and hit my head. Seems like I crossed the street and walked two blocks to barber shop where they cleaned me up and talked me into going for medical help so I go back to my truck, drive five miles on snowy and icy roads back to my house, put the truck in the garage, walk in the house and talk to my wife about my injury and some other nonsensical stuff. She knows my condition so she gets me back in car and drives me to emergency room and I'm carrying on rational conversations the whole time I'm being treated and even talk the ER Doc who shoots regularly at my skeet range out of a donation for the club and convince everyone I am OK and can go home until my wife convinces them that I am really out of it. I wake up as the ER nurse is putting the first of 18 stitches in my head. It had been over 5 hours since I hit my head and the last thing I remember was parking the truck prior going to barber shop yet no one other than my wife knew I was out of it. Over the years I have handled lots of crazy situations in my sleep and never remember anything about it later.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't sleep talk/walk, but I apparently have a habit of raising both arms straight up into the air while sleeping on my back.

Picture the stereotypical zombie/Frankenstein pose, just while laying down on my back.

It's not disruptive like walking/talking, but several former partners have commented on it after waking up in the middle of the night and seeing it.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I am a sleep talker and sleep walker. (at least was a sleep walker, it's been several years since, that I know of any way) I will occasionally still wake myself up from dreams talking.

Night terrors, I feel for anyone with them. Dealt with that for a year or two in the mid 90's and it was the worst time on my life. Being afraid to go to sleep is no fun. Staying awake every night until you pass out from exhaustion is no way to live. That was usually a few hours after sunrise every day, when I felt semi safe. I think it had to do with the room being light, so I could see, awake or asleep. I worked an afternoon-night job, that was the only thing that kept me employable.

I have nightlights throughout my house. Without them, my worst sleep walking experiences have been waking up, standing up in the dark. Sometimes you find your way back to bed, sometimes you'd lay on the floor and go to sleep. The worst was when I was younger and had recently changed bedrooms. Waking up in the dark, but in that state not remembering the change. Feeling around in the dark "Here's the dresser... the door should be right here but it's not!!!" Eek

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dad caught mom climbing out a second story window on to the back porch roof one night

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Dad caught mom climbing out a second story window on to the back porch roof one night

That is a weird thing for a 92 y.o. widow to say in her sleep.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No,
My mom and dad
Not hers