SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American aid worker assassinated in Iraqi capital of Baghdad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American aid worker assassinated in Iraqi capital of Baghdad Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
https://euroweeklynews.com/202...-capital-of-baghdad/

"An American aid worker was assassinated today, Monday, November 7, in the Karrada district of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad. The deceased has been identified as Stephen Troell from the state of Tennessee.He is reported to have been working for the American organisation USAID in Iraq. His Toyota Land Cruiser was allegedly ambushed by two vehicles containing armed men as he entered the street where he lived in central Baghdad.

One vehicle blocked his way while the occupants of the second car subsequently shot and him, as reported by dailymail.co.uk. Believed to be an English teacher, the man was reportedly driven to Sheikh Zayed Hospital by a local, where he died as a result of his injuries.

At the time of the attack, Mr Troell’s wife and child were also in the car, but they were unharmed..."

Prayers for Stephen and his family if you're so inclined. He was my cousin's boy, our closest relatives growing up. The article says English teacher, he was creating Christian ministries in Iraq. There for the long term with a goal of 100 ministries.

I talked with him at length some months back at his grandmother's funeral (my mom's sister, sharp as a tack to the end at 96). Stephen knew the dangers and was cautious and prudent. As much as one can be in Iraq. Like his dad and his grandad, the salt of the earth.

Godspeed, Stephen Troell.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not only would I not be in Iraq as a civilian but I sure wouldn’t be there having anything to do with Christianity and have my family with me. That’s beyond unnecessary risk and danger. He’s lucky they didn’t kill them, too.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Many in the family had the same thoughts, Edmond.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
God Bless him, he seems to be a man of faith, prayers for his family.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
God rest his soul. Sorry for your loss, Ripley.

Q

Posts: 26400 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
My condolences to Stephen's family and his friends, and to you and your family Ripley. May The Lord comfort you all and bring you peace.

He died serving God, and while I can only imagine how traumatic it was for his family to witness this horrific attack, I hope his family can eventually find comfort in Stephen's example, and in his conviction and service, and in the good I assume they all accomplished.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
My condolences to Stephen's family and his friends, and to you and your family Ripley. May The Lord comfort you all and bring you peace.

He died serving God, and while I can only imagine how traumatic it was for his family to witness this horrific attack, I hope his family can eventually find comfort in Stephen's example, and in his conviction and service, and in the good I assume they all accomplished.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I couldn't possibly write anything better than this! RIP.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

I can’t possibly say it better than this. I am sorry for your loss Ripley.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is terrible. Prayers for all. Sorry RIP.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Not only would I not be in Iraq as a civilian but I sure wouldn’t be there having anything to do with Christianity and have my family with me. That’s beyond unnecessary risk and danger. He’s lucky they didn’t kill them, too.

Some people are called to do that and they do it. I certainly don't aspire to do that. I'm waiting to be called to be a missionary to the beaches in Waikiki as those heathens in their paradise environment need salvation as well.

quote:

Ecuadoran tribe transformed after killing of 5 missionaries

Fifty years ago today, tribesmen in Ecuador speared five American missionaries.

The deaths of Peter Fleming, 27; Jim Elliot, 28; Ed McCully, 28; Roger Youderian, 31, and Nate Saint, 32, made headlines for weeks, and produced a bestseller. Fewer people know that their widows later led the killers to a Christian faith that ended generations of tribal revenge killings. That story is told in the movie "The End of the Spear," which opens Jan. 20.

Here's a more recent one involving ISIS.
quote:

''Their God is My God''

The video showed each of the kidnapped men dressed in orange jumpsuits, kneeling on a beach, with their black-clothed attackers standing behind them. Each man was then systematically beheaded. The video clearly captured many of the men praying, "Lord Jesus Christ," in their final moments.

According to reports, Mathew was not a Christian. However, just moments before his death, when the ISIS militants demanded he follow Islam, Mathew turned them down. After reportedly witnessing the "immense faith" of the Egyptian believers, he decided to become a follower of Christ himself. On camera, one of the terrorists asked Mathew, "Do you reject Christ?" He responded boldly: "Their God is my God." He then became one of the 21 men who laid down their lives for their faith in Christ.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think all Americans- that is every single American- should vacate that region and leave those barbarians to wallow in their own shit, just as they have been doing for several thousand years. They've had plenty of time to raise themselves up, but at heart, they're still the same savages they've always been.

All military and civilian personnel- every single American- get out of there. Remove our official presence. Close our embassies and leave them to rot. Cease all diplomatic communication.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very tragic and sad. He looks very kind and gentle; a good man.

What kind of animal would do this? Such a cowardly act.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss Ripley. May God Bless him.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ripley, I'm sorry for your loss. As someone who grew up as a missionary kid (although in an area of the world with far less danger and conflict), I understand and deeply admire what he was doing. I'm sure that he fully understood the risks and believed that they were worth taking...a truly commendable and selfless decision. Prayers for you and the rest of his family as you process this loss.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Baghdad does have a small Christian community. We drove be a few churches when driving through the city. It must be hard for them when the two largest religions in the city are doing their best to try to cleanse the city of the other.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
There are always plenty of platitudes thrown around about "he died doing what he loved" when people lose loved ones.

This gentleman died doing what he was commanded by the great commission, and stood in the gap when guys like me only give lip service to their faith. If he isn't standing at the foot of the throne today, none of us have much of a chance. God Bless him and his family, I hope his death is the spark of a great explosion of faith in the region.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Another good man dead in that stone age barbaric shithole.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your thoughts.

Stephen told me that those open to his message were starving for that kind of faith. He felt enough interest to warrant his long term commitment to Iraq. He was fully on board, warts and all.

And yeah, lots of second guessing in the family, after the fact. Count me as one who felt he had to have better options but I'm not the one who'd been called.

Towards the end of our talk earlier, not shying away from the reality he'd chosen, I told him "Watch you six". He smiled and said "Always".

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

And yet, Christian missionaries are putting themselves in harm's way all over the world to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

God bless this man and his family. His work will not go unrewarded.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

And yet, Christian missionaries are putting themselves in harm's way all over the world to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

God bless this man and his family. His work will not go unrewarded.

Amen....God bless him and his family.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post