SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip to Tejas...suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip to Tejas...suggestions? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Texas has a lot to do, most of which is available in many other places.

The food, however, is sometimes unique and can be amazing.

A BBQ/Chili/Mexican/Tex-Mex Food Tour would be unique, fruitful, and plentiful.
This brings up a pro tip - wear stretchy pants when visiting Texas. When I lived in Cali, Alaska, and Alberta I used to gain 5 lbs during a 5 day trip.

Chongo, sorry to rain on your skinny jean parade Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Women are involved in the planning so likely Fixer Upper/Gaines family has something to do with the interest in Waco...

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Waco

What on Earth for?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know if you are into bass fishing but if you get a day to yourself, catching some Texas largemouth can be fun. Austin and SA are outside my old stomping grounds but someone else might have a recommendation for a guide service. I recall that Falcon Lake on the Tex-Mex border used to be good.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Float on the Guadalupe near and around New Braunfels, which isn't far from San Antonio. Go see a show at the Gruene Hall in Gruene near New Braunfels - it is a genuine old time honkey tonk, but they get good national and regional acts. You just about can't have a bad time there.

(I disagree on the Gristmill - it is just a mediocre Sysco-food place to me. It is in a great location though, and the lines can be out the door.)

San Antonio is good. The Riverwalk is fun, as is the old Mexican market/mercado. The Alamo is in San Antonio, of course. The National Park Service parks of the old mission compounds is excellent and shows the missions as they were in the 16th/17th centuries. You might see my dad at one of those - he is a volunteer. There is more good Tex-Mex than you can shake a stick at in San Antonio, but NONE of it is on the Riverwalk, I promise. Eat somewhere else unless you just want to sit by the river, which is nice. It can be hot as hell in September - be prepared.

Austin has a good music and bar scene, but I haven't been there much in the last ten years. LBJ's library is in town. UT. The capital. Austin is incredibly crowded and can be hard to drive in.

Waco? There is nothing of interest there. Really. I can't imagine why anyone would go to Waco for a vacation. My wife went to Baylor University and she agrees. Skip it. Even the Gaines store - the TV handyman people - is held to be wildly overrated. My daughter-in-law dragged my son there from Ft. Worth and even she had to admit it was a bust.

Drive over to Lockhart and eat barbeque at Kreuz's, Smitty's (the former location of Kreuz, but there was a family falling out), and Black's. Really, all three. Those three are the stars and three of the best in Central Texas and by extension in all of Texas. Chisholm Trail is also supposed to be pretty good. Lockhart has more top tier barbeque than any other town. As JAllen says, Snow's is the hot ticket now, but only open on the weekend.

Just outside of SA, in Leon Springs is the original Rudy's BBQ (a combo barbeque joint/gas station) which is better than the satellite Rudy's which are scattered all over central Texas. Rudy's is all good, but the original seems better. Salt Lick near Austin is good, but I think slightly overrated and not a destination barbeque place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I had a very long response and just lost it all. Most of what I had typed up got mentioned already.

That said, take a look at Bracken Cave outside of San Antonio. Largest bat colony in the world, seeing them fly out of the cave each afternoon/evening is something to see.

As for BBQ, unless you like the touristy stuff, I'd skip Salt Lick BBQ, much better options in/around Austin that I'd spend my time at.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Test1968:
Since brisket has already been mentioned, as well as the Alamo, one manly suggestion would be a trip to Fredricksburg, home of Chester Nimitz and
National Museum of the Pacific War

It's not very big, but I enjoyed my visit there.

Fredricksburg also has a pretty good vineyard with a nice tasting room. You can drop the women off there for a few hours while you visit the Nimitz museum. Becker Vineyard

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Salt Lick in Driftwood is an experience that transcends the average-ish quality of its bbq.

I have seen more "BBQ guns" there on weekends than any other place I have ever been. Big trucks, creased jeans, cowboy boots, fancy holsters, and nice guns. One might mistake it for a Texas Ranger event if you didn't know better.

It's a cool spot, the food is good enough, and it's very *Texas*.

But you can get better BBQ in several places.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
I'm from San Antonio and my family lives in Austin - I don't disagree with any of the suggestions and observations made thus far.

There truly is nothing attractive about Waco, but if you find yourself there despite our warnings, you MUST stop at Collin Street Bakery for a meal or a snack. Their cherry icebox cookies are crack to me! Buy a dozen...I dare you not to eat the whole dozen in one sitting!

I can't add much to Austin suggestions, as I'm not from there and only go to see family. I'm a fan of County Line Barbecue, but only this location. The rest are mediocre and lack the ambiance of the back deck where you can sit with a cold drink and feed turtles and fish.

Heading south on I-35 you can stop by the Cabela's store in Buda/Kyle, then head on down to my hometown.

One area not yet mentioned in San Antonio is the up-and-coming Pearl Historic District. Hip, trendy, just off the Riverwalk and nestled smack-dab in the clusterfuck junction of I-35/I-10/Hwy 281...it's been a major rejuvenation project for the past 5-ish years. Kinda neat, parking sucks, right outside Ft Sam Houston, Broadway (old money area), Tommy Lee Jones lives/lived around there.
On the NE side of town is Natural Bridge Caverns, offering underground exploration of the stalactites and stalagmites, bat guano, etc.

Other than that, follow advice already offered in this thread.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If you like history, the Menger Hotel in downtown San Antonio is interesting. It's right across the street (!) from the Alamo and just a couple of blocks from the Riverwalk. Some of the buildings of Hemisfair '68 still exist (at Hemisfair Park). (I went to the fair in 1968.) In 2007 I walked the Riverwalk all the way down to the dam. It's a good walk, but quite nice.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:

On the NE side of town is Natural Bridge Caverns, offering underground exploration of the stalactites and stalagmites, bat guano, etc.

Other than that, follow advice already offered in this thread.

Adjacent to the Natural Bridge Caverns is the Wild Animal Ranch, where you drive in your own vehicle around through the various areas with all sorts of exotic animals wandering around. My granddaughters loved it. There is a covered petting area in a barn.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Brisket. Lots of it, or a little of it at every available stop that's not a chain. Act like a pro and ask for it cut from exactly what part/type of the brisket you want. My choice is wet and barky, and usually gets a high-five from the guy holding the knife.

It will change your life and damn sure make the trip worthwhile.

If you really want to get the Texas Experience, and have already had some brisket, get some Shoulder Clod at Kreuz in Lockhart.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
If you're planning on visiting Gruene I suggest booking Gruene Mansion Inn for at least one night. Located right on the Guadalupe river.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Austin = major traffic gridlock in every direction at all hours.
San Antonio = lots of Tex-Mex food in addition to the sights,the Riverwalk, and the Alamo. The bar in the Menger Hotel across the street from the Alamo is famous as the spot where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders.
Gruene (pronounced green like the color) = lots of antique shopping, good restaurant right on the river.
Waco (again, why?) Texas Ranger museum, although I have not been there myself.
If you do go to Waco, go on up I-35 another fifteen miles to Exit 353 (West, TX, as opposed to west Texas) and get lots of kolaches at the several kolache bakeries.

As mentioned above, barbecue joints all over central Texas. Try them all. Smile

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
kolaches

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A side trip to Arlen, in Heimlich County, to sip an Alamo beer with the guys.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with the majority of what has been suggested so far but, have to part ways with the Waco naysayers.

The Texas Ranger Museum is well worth a visit. It can take the better part of a day to see and truly absorb the history.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Float on the Guadalupe near and around New Braunfels, which isn't far from San Antonio. Go see a show at the Gruene Hall in Gruene near New Braunfels - it is a genuine old time honkey tonk, but they get good national and regional acts. You just about can't have a bad time there.

(I disagree on the Gristmill - it is just a mediocre Sysco-food place to me. It is in a great location though, and the lines can be out the door.)

San Antonio is good. The Riverwalk is fun, as is the old Mexican market/mercado. The Alamo is in San Antonio, of course. The National Park Service parks of the old mission compounds is excellent and shows the missions as they were in the 16th/17th centuries. You might see my dad at one of those - he is a volunteer. There is more good Tex-Mex than you can shake a stick at in San Antonio, but NONE of it is on the Riverwalk, I promise. Eat somewhere else unless you just want to sit by the river, which is nice. It can be hot as hell in September - be prepared.

Austin has a good music and bar scene, but I haven't been there much in the last ten years. LBJ's library is in town. UT. The capital. Austin is incredibly crowded and can be hard to drive in.

Waco? There is nothing of interest there. Really. I can't imagine why anyone would go to Waco for a vacation. My wife went to Baylor University and she agrees. Skip it. Even the Gaines store - the TV handyman people - is held to be wildly overrated. My daughter-in-law dragged my son there from Ft. Worth and even she had to admit it was a bust.

Drive over to Lockhart and eat barbeque at Kreuz's, Smitty's (the former location of Kreuz, but there was a family falling out), and Black's. Really, all three. Those three are the stars and three of the best in Central Texas and by extension in all of Texas. Chisholm Trail is also supposed to be pretty good. Lockhart has more top tier barbeque than any other town. As JAllen says, Snow's is the hot ticket now, but only open on the weekend.

Just outside of SA, in Leon Springs is the original Rudy's BBQ (a combo barbeque joint/gas station) which is better than the satellite Rudy's which are scattered all over central Texas. Rudy's is all good, but the original seems better. Salt Lick near Austin is good, but I think slightly overrated and not a destination barbeque place.

Agree also about the Gristmill; the absolute best place for chicken fried steak in SA was Lulu's Jailhouse, but alas it may be closed. +10 on Rudy's - the best barbecue in this half of the Universe. And Fonda San Miguel in Austin had some great South American cuisine back in the day...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
If you're in Austin, get brunch at the South Congress Cafe. It's a hipster-ish place, but damn the brunch is good.

In addition to all the excellent bbq previously mentioned make sure to stop at a Buc-ee's.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ South Congress Cafe is excellent, as is Gueros, Clay Pit, Taco Deli, Torchys, and more.

Yes, Austin has bad traffic, but no worse than a dozen or more big cities all over the US.

posted Hide Post
jhe888 mentioned them, but I'll emphasize them: I really enjoyed the other Missions far more than the Alamo.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post