SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do I support stack duct in between studs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I support stack duct in between studs? Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
It would appear that my knowledge, reruns of This Old House, and YouTube have reached their limits. I am modifying a portion of our basement and I am stumped in finding any sort of details on how one would support and or brace 8’ of 3.5”x10” stack duct in a stud cavity. Once I’m out of the wall and into round pipe supported from the joists I’m good to go, but I’m stumped in how I should be supporting the rectangular duct within the stud cavity. Does al the weight just bear on the bottom register connection and the drywall just pins it in place?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
flat piece of sheet metal 3 inches wide from stud to stud using pop rivets or sm screws two or three of the sheets would be plenty

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I like simple and straightforward. Thanks for the help.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be duct tape. Wink

You could even get fancy. Use one color for the vents and another for the returns.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Bending flat S-Cleat into your brace, screwing to the brace. The stack is often supported at the bottom rectangular elbow [plumbers would rightly call this fitting an 'elle'] and stabilized in its vertical location by more cleat.

It is not heavy but you do not want it shifting as it heats up, nor jumping around as you try to screw the register cover in place.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
If I not mistaken, the part should have tabs that get nailed into the studs with roofing nails. I think they are bought that way.

I never installed them but have done a lot of demo and this is what I have noticed.

Oval stack head with wings at home depot is what is called.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post