SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Customer Support dialog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customer Support dialog Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I've notice this on several customer support phone calls...AT&T, Amazon and a few others..

It seems they are processing the voices through some sort of electronic synthesizer or some such, I'm guessing to mitigate the foreign accents. They all sound like they are talking with a lisp.

Anyone else notice this?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Yeth.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Yes. There doesn’t appear to be any background sounds too.
Oddly, it happened with a tech support person. He was excellent in working through the issue.
When I asked him, he admitted he was using the device. That it made his job easier.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are you certain it’s not the fact that you’re speaking to someone 8,000 miles away at a call center in India? Why would they feel the need to disguise accents?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are you certain it’s not the fact that you’re speaking to someone 8,000 miles away at a call center in India? Why would they feel the need to disguise accents?

I don't believe what I'm hearing is an Indian accent from a distant location, but rather a digitally altered voice. As to why they would do that, well a very thick accent is difficult for some US folks to understand and a lot of people are put off by the idea that such services are outsourced.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Even with a digitally altered voice the syntax and grammar are dead giveaways. Verbal expressions such as straightaway are more clues.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post