SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at CR-V's, Not Sure About The Turbo Engine....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at CR-V's, Not Sure About The Turbo Engine.... Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted
So the lease is ending on my current car and it is time for something different.

I was almost sure it was going to be a RAV4. But the only Dealer around doesn't want to deal. I assume his thinking is that they only have a limited inventory, since Toyota apparently had shut down some plants. So they want to get top dollar for what they have in stock.

So I went to look at the Honda CR-V's, which are larger than I thought, at least the same size as the RAV4's.

But they only come with a Turbo Charged 1.5L engine (except the Hybrid). It drove fine, but apparently they have had issues in previous years with fuel being forced past the piston rings, MOSTLY in cold weather.

Supposedly it has been fixed with a software update and some new 0w16 oil.

I'm going to lease again, so it will be under warranty during my time driving it.

Anyone with any personal experience with the Honda Turbo Engines ??

Thanks.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're only leasing it, why care if some fuel gets past the rings and it's under warranty.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
We bought one last year, a 2019 Touring model with the turbo. Very happy with it so far.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I stopped buying Honda’s due to their engine choices. I had an 07 Accord with the 3.0 v6 and it was the best car I’ve owned. I just don’t like those tiny engines although I do know it’s the wave of the future.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Today's modern turbo engines are not the turbo's of old with all the issues they came with in the 80's and 90's. I wouldn't hesitate to make that purchase or any of the number of models with small displacement, turbocharged engines out there today.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.wardsauto.com/engi...oil-dilution-problem

Real issue. Honda stands behind product. Limited related. Apparently fixed. Why worry?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The Honda has been under the microscope lately. We just had a thread about the CVT.

The wife has a 2017 CR-V with the 1.5 Turbo. It's a wonderful engine with amazing power and she always gets 33 mpg. As far as I know the recommended oil is Dexos 0-20. Yes, there has been some issues with the oil but it's a very small percentage as near as I can tell.

The Turbo is oil cooled and has proven (at least to us) to be very reliable. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fuel past rings problem seems to be in cold climates. My friend in Des Moines got a recall notice and it seemed like a program update.
I live in Nevada and did not get the recall.
I bought mine in October 2018 and only have 5700 mile on it. no issues so far.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The keyword is 'lease'. They own the vehicle - not you. I, personally, wouldn't own one but I may lease one.

We bought a Passport. V6, no turbo and no CVT. We like it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4226 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Since I'm thinking about trading in my CR-V on a new one in the next year or so, I'm glad to read the positive comments. If the deals discussed in another thread occur sooner, I may buy sooner.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
My wife is on her 4th CRV since 1988. She currently is driving a 2018 with the turbo. We haven't had any issues with it and it drives great.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
We have the 2019 with the turbo 1.5L. The engine is strong, at least as strong as the 200hp 2.4L engine in her last Acura. Its small but has more than enough get up to get you around town and down the highway. Non issue.

The early ones did have fuel dilution issues with the fuel injectors dumping too much fuel into the engine. When it came time for an oil change you would have 4 quarts of oil and 1 quart of fuel in the engine oil crankcase. As you know, fuel is a solvent, so it kills the ability of the engine oil to lubricate properly. Im pretty sure they have fixed the issue with a software update.

Monitor the oil level and if the oil level goes UP, then there is a problem. Not likely on a brand new one though.

I change the oil in mine every 5000 miles with synthetic since I have an entire shelf full of clearance synthetic oil all purchased at about $1 a quart. I can change the oil for $5 to $10, so its cheap.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Still undecided on the RAV4 vs. CR-V.

Limited inventory here in St. George. I can drive 110 miles to Vegas to get the CR-V in the color I want. Or 300 miles to Salt Lake City to get the RAV4 I want.

Either way I'll probably need to take a road trip to turn in my leased car, no dealer here for that.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Thanks for the input guys.

Still undecided on the RAV4 vs. CR-V.

Limited inventory here in St. George. I can drive 110 miles to Vegas to get the CR-V in the color I want. Or 300 miles to Salt Lake City to get the RAV4 I want.

Either way I'll probably need to take a road trip to turn in my leased car, no dealer here for that.

Check out the new Ford Explorer, it's a very nice vehicle for 2020.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Ford Explorer? It’s in a different size class.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a 2018 CR-V new two years ago and rolled it over 52k today. It has the turbo engine and has been boringly reliable.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
You might also check out the Mazda CX-5. The non-turbo engine is 186 HP which is close in power to the Honda turbo. I test drove both and leased the Mazda. I felt it was a lot more car for approximately the same money. I went with the version with a turbo (250 HP), but I drove the non-turbo and it is no slouch due to the way the Mazda engine provides low-RPM torque. Also, a six-speed transmission; no CVT. However, if you have few Toyota and Honda dealers, a Mazda dealer might be hard for you to find.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
You might also check out the Mazda CX-5.

Actually there is a Mazda dealer, but it was hard to find. Had a big, tall sign on the street between a Chevy and Honda dealer, but couldn't see any Mazda's. Drove onto the Honda lot and walked around and saw the few Mazda's they had. It was combined with the Honda dealer.

I had actually went to test drive the CX-5. I was less than impressed with it. It was just OK.
Around the same price as the CR-V's and RAV4's.

So since I was on the Honda lot the salesman showed me the CR-V. To me CR-V was way more polished and refined.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
On May 8 I bought a new 2019 CR-V 2WD and have put 46,000 mostly-highway miles on it. My avg MPG is 37.1 mpg and have had no problems at all. The CR-V has the most cargo space in it's class.

I change the oil every 7,000 as per Honda and changed the trans fluid at 44,000.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe while you're shopping around.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post