SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did furniture become so expensive?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did furniture become so expensive? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I'm mystified. I've been looking for additions to my folding nylon and tubing cheap, made in "Who the heck knows", rocking chair. They all seem to be about $100... Lots of ChiCom, not too impressive furniture is the same price as buying something from a local craftsman.

What shifted? The local craftsman are still the same - and I'd much rather spend $300 for a custom made, high quality, real rocking chair than $100 for the thing I paid ~$30 for.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Tariffs maybe?

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked this same question. I recently paid $10,000 for a leather sofa and two chairs.

You can still buy cheap shit but it’s definitely cheap shit.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The exact same month that ammo went through the roof.

I went ammo shopping for the first time in 14 years, last week.

My Winchester w.b. in .45 a.c.p went up $1.05 per year !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Buy quality antiques. Lots of options, and better made, wood properly aged, and no money goes to China. Lots of options near you, and not that far from Boone's antiques in Wilson NC, which has very extensive offerings.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We have bought several furniture pieces made by the Amish. To say they are a work of art is an understatement.

I can strongly suggest you look here for some of the best furniture made...

https://www.simplyamish.com/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good furniture has always been expensive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Good furniture has always been expensive.
For sure but now even slightly above average has become very expensive. That $10k set I mentioned above is just Flexsteel.

I got very similar pricing on Lazy Boy and it was junk.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Don't go cheap on furniture. We recently bought a lot of furniture from a well advertised national vendor. They say it's USA made, but it's no where near as good as the American made custom leather coach and chair that lasted us 20 years.

So far they've been out to fix 8 warranty issues, including the wool rug twice.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Since a lot of furniture comes from the High Point, NC area, or at least used to, there were a lot of discount sights selling that furniture. Are they still around, or is this another industry that got squashed by Chinese competition.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the price of “window treatments” lately? I have, it’s excruciating.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Since a lot of furniture comes from the High Point, NC area, or at least used to, there were a lot of discount sights selling that furniture. Are they still around, or is this another industry that got squashed by Chinese competition.

A lot of the furniture industry moved to Vietnam.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I asked this same question. I recently paid $10,000 for a leather sofa and two chairs.

You can still buy cheap shit but it’s definitely cheap shit.

I just threw up in my mouth. I’d flash back to my college days of making pizza box furniture before I could pay that much.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

A lot of the furniture industry moved to Vietnam.

When we looked for bedroom furniture in 2004, most was made in China and 'higher grade' (i.e. more expensive) furniture was from Vietnam. It was all made of glue board. The only stuff made from real wood was Amish and had to be special ordered.

A local Woodfields store has lots of nice looking wood furniture. Owner said all the wood is sourced from China and assembled and stained at the store.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Have you checked the price of “window treatments” lately? I have, it’s excruciating.

I needed all new window treatments in my house. It was going to be over $2500 for average 2” faux wood blinds. For $4900 we did the whole house in plantation shutters. They were locally made, look great, super classy, and will last a lifetime. Best upgrade ever for windows.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think good furniture has always been expensive

My dining room set is solid Pennsylvania Cherry - its built like a tank and will outlast me

I've never owned any Ikea furniture except for a bookcase while I was in school - I get that it might be the way for some people to go but I've always been attracted to the darker woods - Cherry, Oak and Mahogany - I just don't have room for compressed chips of shredded wood held together by a set screw

good furniture is hard to find - went shopping for a solid wood bookcase - $800 seems to be about the going price these days

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post