SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tablets; amazon fire / ipad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tablets; amazon fire / ipad Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Ok - so I'm ignorant of tablets - ipads, amazon fire (that's the limit model knowledge). Please correct me in my info to date if I get something wrong...

- ipad: you need to connect to the internet via either your phone (creating a hotspot?) or through your internet service provider (ISP) creating wifi.

- amazon fire. I'm not certain, but since you can opt / choose (at higher cost) a kindle with internet connectivity (NOT using your ISP), can you get an amazon fire that will connect, and be able to stream netflix movies?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
iPads are either Wifi only or a combination of cellular and WiFi; cellular versions have their own data card, just like any cell phone. WiFi only versions can certainly run off your phones hotspot. Don’t know anything about the Fire.

If you’re contemplating getting an iPad, make sure to run it by the collective at SF. There are a number of models and many have already slipped into planned obsolescence. The out of date ones might still work for browsing and email, but apps may have evolved past the point of compatibility with older operating systems.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My Fire is WiFi.

While I mostly use it in Kindle mode, it is occasionally handy to be able to take it out to the garage and fire up (arrrrrrr...humor!) YouTube while standing next to the project.

Otherwise, not my favorite surfing device. Screen is too small for my tired old eyes, and the touchscreen keyboard is likewise too small for my fat fingers.

Better than a phone tho...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
Which you buy depends on what you want to do with it.

If you have an iphone/mac etc, ipad will be the most seamless choice.

Kindle Fire tends to be cheaper but runs on its own OS, a version of the Android OS IIRC.

I've owned both and despite the fact I'm not an Apple guy (windows and android phone) I'm currently really enjoying my ipad pro.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
For general content consumption (streaming video, email, internet, etc.) you can't beat an iPad either wifi only or wifi plus cell service. If you're an avid reader and looking to read a lot of books outside, at the beach, etc., this is the one area where the iPad falls short due to the glossy screen. I have a hand me down kindle paper white just for ebooks and I love it, it's easy on the eyes, nicely backlit, perfect size, no glare, very long battery life and it connects to wifi.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I have both. The kindle Fire is pretty good for what it is, a low cost tablet. It does do well with Netflix but I believe it uses WiFi only.

The Ipad runs far better with no freezing or hesitation but at a much higher cost. It can be purchased with cellular and/or WiFi capability.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking of using any navigation / mapping apps, the wifi-only iPad does not have GPS. The wifi + cellular does have GPS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you are thinking of using any navigation / mapping apps, the wifi-only iPad does not have GPS. The wifi + cellular does have GPS.

BUT... if you connect to your phone as a hotspot the WiFi model will use the phone GPS and pass that through to navigation/mapping apps.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
BUT... if you connect to your phone as a hotspot the WiFi model will use the phone GPS and pass that through to navigation/mapping apps.
True. Another approach with the wifi-only model is to use a separate GPS receiver that connects to the iPad via either bluetooth or wifi (both types are available).

I prefer a standalone approach to navigation apps, especially when flying. Minimum clutter in the cockpit. I use a wifi + cellular iPad for this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I use an original IPad Air for years. It goes everywhere with me. It is WiFi. Most every place I go has WiFi. When I need GPS or can’t get WiFi I use an old Motorola android based phone. For me I use less than a 1 gig a month overall for data.
The new 2019 iPad Air looks very promising. The specs show it’s fast with a good screen. It’s not cheap. Get a good case. I am on my second otter box that has really saved me from a repurchase.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Both wife and I have had iPads for quite a few years. Very useful and Apple gear is for the most part top tier quality. We like them because the interface is almost identical to the iPhones we have. The iPad, as well as other tablets are configured to automatically connect to your home wifi as well as connecting to the many roaming wifi networks available. (hotels, dr office, coffee shop etc)

If you've never used a tablet, there is a bit of a learning curve but for the most part they are pretty intuitive. You just need to be patient as you learn the interface and all of the capabilities.

iPads have come down quite a bit in price... at least the base model iPads. As already pointed out, there are some places that are selling iPad models that are several generations old. Good pricing but many are limited in what that can do. There's really no deals on Apple gear. Apple controls the pricing so no matter if you buy from WalMart or at the Apple store the price is the same. If someone is cutting the price it's probably an older model so watch that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i'm computer literate, so this is a connectivity question...

ipad seems OUT for my purposes. so we get that out of the way.

can you get an amazon fire that connects to netflix so you can stream a movie and NOT have to connect to a cellular service, or your ISP's wifi, or sit at a public wifi hotspot?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
can you get an amazon fire that connects to netflix so you can stream a movie and NOT have to connect to a cellular service, or your ISP's wifi, or sit at a public wifi hotspot?

No.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
NOT an I-anything guy, but Comcast ran a special recently for new Gen 6(wifi only) IPADs, $120.

A great deal for sure on that particular device. I also have a newer Kindle fire. There is no comparison, the IPAD is faster at everything. But, as mentioned above, the Kindle is much better if you want a reader, however the IPAD kicks its butt performance wise at everything else.

Kindle is cheaper, it really depends on what your intended use is.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

No.

Ummmmm...I have the Netflix App on my Fire...

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sure you do, but you have to connect to something, which he precluded with his question. Perhaps he phrased the question poorly...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a few iPads and a couple of Fire tablets. The Fire is more of a toy. The iPad has a lot more horsepower. If you add an external keyboard to the iPad you can run Office 365 - with some limitations. My iPad has basically completely knocked my PCs out of rotation except for when I need to run a large PPT.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

I'm sure you do, but you have to connect to something, which he precluded with his question. Perhaps he phrased the question poorly...

Doh. Reading comprehension is key...

Don't know if the Fire can connect to a computer or modem via USB or hardwire, never tried.

You CAN connect via the usual means, download a movie and watch it later without being connected, if that helps.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You cannot watch any Netflix on a tablet without a WiFi connection. If you have hard wired internet at your house, you can very easily set up a WiFi connection if you don't already have one.

The kindle fire tablets are an amazing buy for $100 or so. I can browse the internet and forums and send a few emails from bed every night. I used to buy iPad's for this but they are way too expensive, and fragile, for me, for what they do. After two broken $500 iPad's (small drops), I wont be buying any more for a bed side tablet. The kindle fire fits the bill here, and is economical to replace should I break it (haven't broke one yet, in 3 or 4 years.) The fire tablets are more durable, in my view, than the iPads.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Any Amazon Fire will connect to wifi and do Netflix and hundreds of other apps. For the price they can't be beat for what they do. I use an 8 inch Kindle Fire most of the time for internet browsing needs, You Tube, streaming, etc and I bought a couple for $100. There is a 10 inch version also.

I suggest consider buying an 8 inch Fire on sale now for $49 to see how you like it. I am sure you will get good use out of it even if you get a bigger or more powerful tablet down the road.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post