SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas Eve Launch of the James Webb Space Telescope planned.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Eve Launch of the James Webb Space Telescope planned. Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I hope it all goes well. No shuttle to send folks up to fix it.

Doesn’t matter if the shuttle was still flying, JWST is going out to L2. That’s beyond the Moon. Not much hope of mechanical fixes out there.

Why not put a science station on the back side of the moon. There could be Comcast units orbiting or wired on towers to connect with home base

Comcast can't fix things on Earth. I doubt they can do it on the Moon any better.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Holy cow, it's going to be almost 4 times as far away from Earth as the Moon! Is it going to be in an Earth orbit or solar orbit? And ya, there's no going out there to fix it.
Technically, it would be considered a Solar orbit that is perturbed by the Earth's gravitational pull (in a very special and stable way).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Time for a government to step aside… They don’t do anything very well anymore.

Not sure they really ever did, but there’s a case to be made that government investment now is worse than ever.

Equity, and social justice directives along with climate change have burdened every single program, project and contract. Ever contract under 8a?

And I’m sorry for those that you that love it, but the space shuttle program was a Flippin joke… Always.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Shift ample money from elsewhere and triple their funding. Enlarge NASA and the related agencies, it's some of the only good and interesting things our government does or has ever done with our money.

Unfortunately, the NASA of today isn't the same NASA as 50-60 years ago. Lots of engineers and scientists who behave like bureaucrats, unable to make a decision without group consensus. The days of Gene Krantz are long gone. I say slash the NASA budget and distribute it to the private companies who are still willing to be risk takers: SpaceX, Blue Origin, Firefly, Rocket Lab, etc.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bah.

Build ten new Shuttles...

Go to more planets.

Launch 3x more probes...

Work with the private sector, too, obviously.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:

Go to more planets.

Launch 3x more probes...

What would 10 new shuttles do for us? Because they aren't going to other planets or even the Moon.

We could have launched more probes, but instead we've spent $10B on JWST...

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Until travel is made much faster, exploration of more distant planets will be unfeasible. Even going just to Mars takes at least 5 months, and that only when the 2 planets are at their closest. Going to any more distant planets would take much longer--years in most cases, and to planets around nearby stars, even decades or centuries. There are limits to recycling human waste to sustain life over long periods.

There have been sci-fi stories written about huge spaceships designed to carry large populations between planets, but we are far short of being able to do that at this time.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Go to more planets.

Launch 3x more probes...

What would 10 new shuttles do for us? Because they aren't going to other planets or even the Moon.

Just curious why the space shuttle couldn't make it to the moon

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the shuttle was a compromise program that ultimately had its requirements set around lofting military payloads

it was never being thought of as anything more than a truck to haul stuff to orbit, and it was incapable of working anywhere outside LEO.

As for deep space....not a chance

Posts: 53072 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
quote:

Go to more planets.

Launch 3x more probes...

Just curious why the space shuttle couldn't make it to the moon

Way too heavy to get the needed deltaV. Think back to the Apollo-era capsule and the size of the Saturn V booster in comparison. The capsule was a tiny fraction of the total mass. Compare that to the shuttle, the external fuel tank, and two SRBs. We would need something much larger than a Saturn V to get a space shuttle to the Moon.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Until travel is made much faster, exploration of more distant planets will be unfeasible. Even going just to Mars takes at least 5 months, and that only when the 2 planets are at their closest. Going to any more distant planets would take much longer--years in most cases, and to planets around nearby stars, even decades or centuries. There are limits to recycling human waste to sustain life over long periods.

There have been sci-fi stories written about huge spaceships designed to carry large populations between planets, but we are far short of being able to do that at this time.

flashguy

Those science fiction books about huge spaceships carrying mass migrations of people were a mainstay of my teen age reading.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Those science fiction books about huge spaceships carrying mass migrations of people were a mainstay of my teen age reading.
Me, too. Robert A. Heinlein and Isaac Asimov were my favorites--I've read just about everything they wrote.

flashguy

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
And “Tom Corbett, Space Cadet”. Saturday morning TV, right after Roy Rogers!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8836 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Reminder about the JWST launch. It’s been postponed until Christmas morning with the launch window opening at 7:20a EST.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
And “Tom Corbett, Space Cadet”. Saturday morning TV, right after Roy Rogers!

Tom Corbett books (yeah Astro!) along with Tom Swift and Miss Pickerell series were my pre-teen fodder. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Anybody else watching? 15 minutes now…

Posts: 2925 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Looked like a flawless launch through payload separation. The glimpse of the first solar array unfurling and capturing the Sun reflection was pretty neat.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was great, especially the real footage of the last separation and solar array unfolding.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
NASA tracker, showing Webb's current location.

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/...nch/whereIsWebb.html

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
So the complex Sunshield deployment in three days is the critical step toward getting an operational platform I about thirty days?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16481 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post