SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New computer on the horizon and a question fro the experts here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New computer on the horizon and a question fro the experts here Login/Join 
posted
No , Not me purchasing ,
But the neighbor seems to think she wants a new one
instead of installing win 10.

Is there something we need to ask the "The Man"
at the computer store.

re: the new computer and win 10 ?

does the new computer need something special to do the win 10 stuff?
this is what they offer
http://thecomputerevolution.com/systems/

They said to bring her currant computer in and they would check to see if installing win 10 would work.

She pays bills on line,prints up www recipe's,
does some shopping on amazon, e-mail three times a month.

I google search and get on the forum, thats about the extent.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54672 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I don't see why she needs a new computer at all. They are not all that expensive anymore, so why not? If she buys a new PC, Windows 10 will be installed.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
her's is 13 years old,
neither of us could fill a .38 caliber case with our computer knowledge

Posts: 54672 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Anything that is bought or built now will have Win10 regardless so there is nothing special that would be needed. Even with a new "base model" anything, Win10 is supposed to run no problem.

Depending on what she has currently, the base model listed might not be really any faster or better, just newer. If she is looking for something faster or better, personally the "level 1 gamer" that is listed is about the lowest I would go. Also I personally would opt for 16 gig on the memory, as my experience with 10 so far is it seem to be a bit of a memory hog. the 8 gig would be about bare minimum.

Edit to add...
Her current computer being that old, Win10 would most likely not really be worth the effort.

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Buy one at Costco. Good price, return policy, and warranty. Get it online, free delivery. No need to drive out and ask "The Man".

And oh, ssd is a must.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm curious: If her computer is thirteen years old, what operating system is she running on it? Windows 7?

I ask, because even Windows 10 is going to require a bit of a learning curve. If she's not tech savvy in the slightest, she might find it frustrating. You might inquire as to what kind of support she might get from the computer store.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running Windows 7, currently. So we might be hating win 10 as they are so! Different ? That's kinda scary.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Her hardware will likely not be supported on win 10. Drivers may not exist.

It is high time for a nice new entry level machine from a big box retailer. Costco. Everything will be better.

Most importantly the security of her banking and bill pay will be better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, a basic Chromebook would handle everything she's doing. Just another option.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Go to the local laptop/electronics exchange.
They’ll have a nice little desktop for $150 or less.
I just grabbed a used desktop for the kids new Covid Classroom so they can do their online activities.
I spent $103 it will do anything and everything on her list.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed W10 so much I chucked the computer and bought a Mac. YMMV

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Win 10 interface truly sucks. You can download a copy of Classic Shell and when installed makes Win 10 look like and act like Windows XP or Windows 7. Everything will look and act like what your friend is used to. No need to go through the agony of trying to figure out where things are hidden in Win 10!

Try Classic Shell. You will love it!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I agree on classic shell. I HATE windows 10, and the only machine I have running it uses classic shell

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, classic shell sounds like a must have

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
She pays bills on line,prints up www recipe's,
does some shopping on amazon, e-mail three times a month.

A full-blown computer, for just that, is way over-kill, IMO.

My wife does all those things on her Apple iPad, except for printing recipes. She doesn't print them. She reads/uses them directly off the tablet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
today she says she is 80% sold on the lap top idea.

posted Hide Post
$250 Chromebook will serve just fine.

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Thanks, classic shell sounds like a must have
If you and she are as clueless with computers as you intimate, you may need the store to install the shell for you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
chromebook sounds like it would work fine for her. and ,aynbe add a wireless mouse.

here is a rrefurbished one

https://www.newegg.com/dell-n2...?Item=9SIA02DAWC3753

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
IME most people that have issues with W10 are running the home addition. If you're going to go the W10 route, pay the few bucks extra and get the Pro version.

I've migrated from just about every windows version from 95 to W10 and I honestly don't know what all the fuss about "it's different" is. Sure the interface changes a little but it's not like going from DOS to z/OS.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post