SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellowed (formerly white) plastic fridge/freezer handle restoration?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellowed (formerly white) plastic fridge/freezer handle restoration? Login/Join 
posted
I've got an older (11+ years old) Maytag Perfroma refrigerator that is white with white plastic handles. The fridge is ok, but the handles are very yellowed.

Not wanting to shell out close to $200 for new replacements or $100+ for some used eBay replacements, does anyone have any ideas for how to make the yellowed plastic white again? Cleaning them with normal household cleaners don't seem to have done much.

Thanks.

Posts: 929 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Replacement handles cost that much? Wow!

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, yes. I was unpleasantly surprised.

Posts: 929 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There's lots of ways to recover yellowed plastic. Bleach or vinegar can often work.

If those ways don't work, I would consider just re-finishing them with some of the new plastic-bondable spray paints.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Did you try magic erasers?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try what they call retrobrite. Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYbchvSUDY&t=1027s

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Certain plastics just yellow with age, look at old computers that were once white or light gray or beige and they all seem to yellow like that.

They do make spray paints that adhere well to plastic, I’d maybe sand with fine sandpaper, clean well and put a couple coats of white paint on them.

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Did you try magic erasers?

Yes, and no improvement was noted.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:
Try what they call retrobrite. Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYbchvSUDY&t=1027s

That looks interesting, and relatively easy. Might be trying that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
There's lots of ways to recover yellowed plastic. Bleach or vinegar can often work.

If those ways don't work, I would consider just re-finishing them with some of the new plastic-bondable spray paints.

Bleach didn't do anything, and I have not tried cleaning vinegar yet.

I was thinking about appliance white spray enamel myself. Of course the surface is lightly textured, so I'm not sure how the paint will lay.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking about appliance white spray enamel myself. Of course the surface is lightly textured, so I'm not sure how the paint will lay.

I also thought of appliance epoxy, but the ones I've seen seem to mention only for applying on metal. Not sure if it would work on plastic.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I also thought of appliance epoxy, but the ones I've seen seem to mention only for applying on metal. Not sure if it would work on plastic.

I was thinking about appliance white color, not the epoxy appliance paint, but I'd bet you are right and appliance white might not come in a plastic friendly product.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Hey, someone agrees with me!

(I also saw a review of appliance epoxy used on plastic, and they said it adhered well, but try at your own risk.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Buy some vinyl sheets like the kind that they make auto decals and body wraps, then wrap and exacto knife it.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make spray paint and sell it at lowes for plastic. It works quite well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
leave it alone and buy a new one in 3 years as it will be at its max life expectancy

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Clean plastic with ammonia so the paint will adhere.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuffgeek:
leave it alone and buy a new one in 3 years as it will be at its max life expectancy

I'm planning on selling my house and making it someone elses issue, but figured I'd do what I could to make it show better in the short term.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Definitely paint if it's staying with the house

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
As others have said either plastic paint or maybe wet sanding like what works with yellowed headlights?

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post