SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago — Van Dyke verdict moments away, scheduled for 1:45 CDST
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago — Van Dyke verdict moments away, scheduled for 1:45 CDST Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
To CPD SIG and others in Chitown, be careful out there. It’s going to be a crapfest.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
And... it looks like Van Dyke is guilty on all charges except one count of official misconduct.

1 count 1st Degree Murder (guilty of 2nd Degree)

16 counts of aggravated battery

Polling the jury now.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, that will probably mean less of a shit show.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12804 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Bond revoked, Van Dyke headed to jail.

Sentencing on the 2nd Degree could be probation, to 4 years.

Each count of aggravated battery is a class X felony and carries a mandatory minimum 6 to 30 year possible sentence.

He will be in prison for many years, assuming the appeal process doesn’t go his way.

RB

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Each count of aggravated battery is a class X felony and carries a mandatory minimum 6 to 30 year possible sentence.

He will be in prison for many years, assuming the appeal process doesn’t go his way.

It should be overturned on appeal. Should have been a change a venue at very least. I wonder how many other shooting suspects in Crooke County are charged for each round they shoot?

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I get emptying your gun on anyone coming at you with a knife (his defense as I understand it) and would defend that fiercely.

I watched that video I don't know how many times, and, to me, he deserved the verdict.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:

It should be overturned on appeal. Should have been a change a venue at very least. I wonder how many other shooting suspects in Crooke County are charged for each round they shoot?

I have NEVER,EVER heard of a defendant charged with a count of agg batt for each time they shot someone. Never. It's called piling on. So I'm thinking he should be able to get at least 14 of those removed if not all.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about our Chicago cops take on this. Is this good riddance to bad juju or is this I'm never pulling my gun again?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12804 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'm curious about our Chicago cops take on this. Is this good riddance to bad juju or is this I'm never pulling my gun again?

Well initially (until after the election and the release of the video), the shooting was ruled justified by senior police commanders up to the Chief, the Prosecutor, and Mayor Tiny Dancer.

Here is a link to the Second City Cop Blog comment page on the conviction:

Second City Cop Blog Comments

As an avid follower of the Second City Cop Blog (because what happens in Chicago is going to happen in St. Louis soon) the term "fetal" and the phrase "go fetal" has been used quite a bit in the last couple years. I notice a new term in some of the comments: "fetality" which translates to a new state of existence which means zero self initiated activity, show up and write up the reports, don't get out of the car-bad things happen if you get out of the car. Cops are wondering if the Prosecutor will now decide in Officer Involved Shootings not only if the shooting was justified but which rounds were justified and which rounds were not: Shots #1 and #1 were justified, shots #3, #4, and #5 were not so officer is charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. With the way Prosecutors nationwide have done things to appease the mob, I also can see this happening.

If I was the Defense Attorney, I would have played the LAPD video of where the hostage was shot by officers when suspect started slashing her neck open over and over in front of the jury to show what could have happened. Officers in that case hesitated too long to take action.

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
quote:

I have NEVER,EVER heard of a defendant charged with a count of agg batt for each time they shot someone. Never. It's called piling on. So I'm thinking he should be able to get at least 14 of those removed if not all.

Bulldog7972, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the POS charged with the murder of Commander Bauer was charged with each round he fired (5-7 from reports I read).

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It looks like the dead thug has been staying out of trouble since he was removed from society.

Posts: 107786 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This case was fucked up from beginning to end.

I find it funny that none of the bosses, from the street deputy to the mayor weren't brought up.

In such a high profile case, and the poooooor victim, who was loved soooooo much, where was mom at the trial?
And true, Homie ain't commitin' no mo crimes.

There were multiple decisions that should be grounds for appeal. Hopefully they get granted. (Unless this is all part of a greater scheme, which I don't think these people are smart enough to pull off.)

On the Police side of the house... Whatever your feelings are about if he should have shot or not, how many shots.... The prejudicial nature of the case is overly apparent to us. (Well, the smarter ones at least) so far, the vibe is "only do what you're supposed to do, nothing more."
If you do out and do something, and it goes the wrong way, under the bus you go.

This place is further sliding into abyss. Anyone think Rahm cares? He's gone in a few months, and will have some job working behind the scenes somewhere with the Commies.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8371 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bulldog7972, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the POS charged with the murder of Commander Bauer was charged with each round he fired (5-7 from reports I read).

No, you're correct.
I have old partners and good friends that are Detectives on the Violent Crimes side, they try charging bad-guys the same way, and the Assistant States Attorneys laugh.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8371 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
...so far, the vibe is "only do what you're supposed to do, nothing more."

And if Van Dyke had done that, stopping at two or three hits, it would have ended then. There's no question that Laquan got what he deserved, and I'm hoping that those of you working the streets back off, do the minimum, avoid getting the attention, and just let the city burn. Maybe the crooked pols will get tossed then.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9190 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Here is a link to the Second City Cop Blog comment page on the conviction:

Second City Cop Blog Comments

Thanks. Very enlightening. Glad I don't live in Chicago.

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I still think the judge will give Van Dyke the minimum 6 on only one count.

The charge-per-shot (16) is BS and unprecedented as I understand things.

RB

posted Hide Post
I dunno about that. Gaughn seemed to be an asshole in this trial from what I saw. I was especially shocked when he read Van Dyke the riot act when he was late for court after attending to his daughter who had received death threats. It seemed to me that he went out of his way to humiliate him in open court and on television. Thugs receive better treatment than Van Dyke did that day.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
So will the Crook County prosecutors now be charging the gang bangers with one count Aggravated Battery for every shot they fire?

Time for you CPD guys to get the blu-flu and give the shitbirds a taste of what they are wishing for.

Stay safe CPD officers! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, this was a railroad job from the get go. There was zero chance of a fair and impartial jury, at least in this city.

I found it interesting that he was declared "not guilty" of official misconduct though.

I too am betting that upon appeal, that the agg battery charges are dropped.

As far as to what other police officers will do, there will no doubt be period of time where most will back off until the dust settles. The consent decree, new use of force issues and the input of radical activists have yet to determined as to how far officers go "fetal". Rahm is finished and is taking his show on the road and whoever takes over will finish the job of driving the leftist utopia called Chicago, into the abyss.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post