SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil changes..getting spendy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil changes..getting spendy Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
I had to shop all over just to find oil for starts. NO one had Shell 5-40 Rotella T6, which I've been using. I finally found some Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck in the 5-40. I need 13 quarts for the Powerstroke, and they only sell it by the gallon. I also purchased a Wix high end filter. $175 later I'm out the door. I can't believe how hard it was to find oil, and then how expensive everything was.

Do people not realize that voting for all this free shit, plus companies having to pay more for everything they do, adds to the price of everything? I don't think their is and end in site. Good thing this isn't my daily driver.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Our shop has been having trouble getting bulk 10/30 for the reels for a couple of weeks.
We just got 250 gallons after being out for a couple of days.

At 10 gallons per oil change we go through a lot of oil.
I believe the parts guy said it has gone up over 50% too.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
T6 is sold at Home Depot. They usually have it in stock for about 23$ gallon. WixXP filter at Amazon is about 22$. I use the WixXP filter and love it.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I hear you, loud and clear.
$93 per oil change in my company truck (4Runner) at the local Mobil franchise.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lineman101:
T6 is sold at Home Depot. They usually have it in stock for about 23$ gallon. WixXP filter at Amazon is about 22$. I use the WixXP filter and love it.

Local Home Depot says not available here, and not available to order. You might want to stock up if it's available out there.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I started changing oil myself on our Suburban and our pickups because it is easy to crawl underneath there. I still take our Accord to the dealership because I don't have ramps and its close and convenient enough. Its quicker, cheaper, and I find it immensely satisfying doing it myself.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m using the same 0w20 in my bmw and daughter’s subaru. I buy from fcp euro. After i change it it costs me $21 to ship used oil back and they refund the cost of the original oil.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7991 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
This will date me a little, but I remember going to buy some oil for an oil change and could not find it any cheaper than $0.55 per quart and I remember having a fit having to pay that much for oil. Todays prices are stupid ridiculous. I have no idea what I paid a couple of months ago for 6 quarts of oil and a filter, but it wasn’t cheap.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Our shop has been having trouble getting bulk 10/30 for the reels for a couple of weeks.
We just got 250 gallons after being out for a couple of days.

At 10 gallons per oil change we go through a lot of oil.
I believe the parts guy said it has gone up over 50% too.

Try maintaining a fleet of 38 railroad locomotives. Oil and fuel prices are killing me.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Try living in Hawaii and Korea for 6 years. I'd gladly pay inflated US prices at this point.

I know it doesn't make it right!

But...first thing I'm gonna do in the US is get some 6.99 AYCE Chinese buffet!

From a logical perspective, oil changes aren't just now getting expensive, it got expensive when you bought a vehicle that required 13 quarts LMAO

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, I noticed the same thing. No 5w40 of any brand to be found, so I bought three 5-quart jugs of Motorcraft 15w40 for $23 each. I’ve always used the Motorcraft filter for $18. Living in Florida, I don’t need 5w and not doing extended oil changes I don’t need synthetic either. It was nice, with 5-quart jugs, to be able to do the 13 quarts. I have yet to pay over $100, but I see the price of 5w40 is up on Amazon and Walmart. It looks like the next one will be over.

I used Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 for two years until Rotella T6 met the Ford spec. After T6 met the spec, I used which ever I could find at the best price.

Posts: 10817 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Try maintaining a fleet of 38 railroad locomotives. Oil and fuel prices are killing me.

Yeah, but you get to play with 1:1 scale trains! Cool

I have to dump money into a POS Cherokee that I'm determined to drive until FCA buys out my warranty. At least I'm still managing to spend less than $40 on an oil change (~$26 for 6 qts of full synthetic 5W20 and $10-12 for a quality filter).

-Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BurtonRW,

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Just the cost of the oil is higher, what with so many cars wanting 0W20 which is only full synthetic.

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I just got 4x5 quart jugs of Kirkland 0w 20 for $60 from Costco. I was pretty happy with that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still paying $45 for a semi-synthetic change on my Acura TL V6 locally. Surprised the price has not been jacked up yet.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Diesel oils have been reformulated in the past several years, and Ford found that several of them were causing damage to Ford diesel engines. They reformulated their Motorcraft 15W40 to have all the additives needed to prevent damage to Ford engines.

Just because it says Mobil or Delo or Rotella on the label, doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right stuff for a Ford diesel. Look into this.

If you need 5W40 for cold winter starts that one thing.... down here in Florida I would run the Motorcraft 15W40. $21 at Walmart and easy to find. AND sold in 5 quart containers instead of 1 gallon containers, so the price per quart is even less, comparatively.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mot...l-Motor-Oil/16940218

And one last bit of advice. The best way to buy supplies for an oil change is WAY before your next oil change, so you can catch sales. I always have at least one oil change in stock in my garage for every car I own. I HATE having to run to the store to get supplies when I notice its a nice Saturday. I much prefer to already have everything I need, bought on sale or at a good price, before hand.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
...with so many cars wanting 0W20 which is only full synthetic.

Not true. They do sell synthetic blend 0W20 oils, but they cost more than the cheaper synthetic oils, so not sure who buys them or why they buy them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen...il-5-Quart/150683491

https://shop.sclubricants.com/...rods-sb-mo-sae-0w-20

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/...lend-motor-oils.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cas...l-5-Quarts/752307232

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might want to stock up if it's available out there.

I use T-6 in my work trucks, and it has been sparse. I finally ran across 9 gallons and snatched it up with 3 filters, enough for 3 oil changes. Did notice that my local Walmart had about 15 gallons remaining on their shelf the other day.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Ford found that several of them were causing damage to Ford diesel engines.

Ford always seems to have these issues. Oil is pretty standardized, if you deviate from the norm, it had better be a good reason & you better have a backup plan. Most of the time something like this is cost-driven. Saving 0.01$/vehicle built is great, until you start seeing 1% of those needing $10k warranty repairs. I bet someone in purchasing got a promotion.....

Other MFGs do it too, but Ford is the 'best' at blaming anything but their part. That's not n=1 experience, I've been in the business in various aspects my whole adult life.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Rotella T6 5w40 and T6 15w40 both meet the Ford spec and say so right on the jug. The Valvoline 5w40 I mentioned above does as well. Ford calls for 5w40 for the severe service schedule. All three of these are full synthetic while the Motorcraft 15w40 is not synthetic. I did see the T6 15w40 for $23 a jug, but I figured I’d keep looking for the 5w40. I’ll probably buy a couple oil changes worth of it’s still there next.

Posts: 10817 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post