SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Capitol Police arrest suspect for 'doxing' GOP senators
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capitol Police arrest suspect for 'doxing' GOP senators Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
He will get 2 years in a minimum security facility if that.

I don't see this as being all that far from espionage. He should get 50 years.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
That's a young age and a bad line of work for having a felony conviction, let alone a name that will appear at the top of every page on a Google search. He will probably have a hard time finding a job when he's out.

Posts: 3590 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a young age and a bad line of work for having a felony conviction, let alone a name that will appear at the top of every page on a Google search. He will probably have a hard time finding a job when he's out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am not so sure. Some of these folks get jobs protecting computer networks. He will have time to realize the consequences of his actions.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I am not so sure. Some of these folks get jobs protecting computer networks. He will have time to realize the consequences of his actions.

The democrats will hail him as a hero and some democrat donor will find his a job to reward him for his must resist attitude.

Posts: 7727 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Hassan won the election by barely more than a hundred votes..yet voter fraud was uncovered showing well over that number were probably fraudulent votes. In fact one resident was just recently charged with voter fraud...trying to claim it was a mistake they voted twice.

Because of all the Mass’holes who have destroyed the great state of New Hampshire after destroying their own. I don’t think anything can cure liberalism.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

The democrats will hail him as a hero and some democrat donor will find his a job to reward him for his must resist attitude.

Since he was kicked out of an office he snuck into after previously being terminated, I doubt anyone wants to touch this guy with a 10' pole, being a Never=Trumper or not. He seems to be able to cause damage to his employers, which isn't a good resume builder.

Posts: 3590 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.politico.com/story...-doxing-case-1370529

Ex-Hassan aide sentenced to 4 years for doxing senators

A former aide to Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.) was sentenced to four years in prison Wednesday for hacking Senate computers and releasing personal information online about five Republican senators out of anger spurred by their roles in the confirmation hearings for Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Hogan said the sentence for Jackson Cosko, 27, was needed to send a signal that criminal harassment driven by political motives would be punished severely in an era marked by extreme political polarization.

“We have…a society that has become very vicious,” Hogan said. “It’s very concerning to the court and unfortunate that you played into that.”

In April, Cosko pleaded guilty to five felonies, admitting that after being fired last year from his work as a systems administrator on Hassan’s staff, he repeatedly used a colleague’s key to enter the office, install keylogging equipment that stole work and personal email passwords, and downloaded a massive trove of data from Senate systems

Cosko also acknowledged that after growing angry about the GOP’s handling of the Supreme Court nomination, he released home addresses and phone numbers of Sens. Lindsry Graham, Orrin Hatch, and Mike Lee on Wikipedia. After initial press coverage of that doxing, Cosko released information about Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul.

Cosko said he’d received a victim impact statement only from Paul, who said the event caused fear to him and his family.

“It was a rather vicious offense,” Hogan said. “That was totally unjustified….We need to send a message out there. We need to have some deterrent and community understanding.”

Shortly before the sentence was handed down, Cosko stood at a courtroom lectern and apologized.

“I take full and complete responsibility for my actions,” he said. “I am embarrassed and ashamed for what I did.”

Cosko said that he’d been struggling with substance abuse and mental health issues and that the judge’s decision earlier this year to let him enter a treatment program was pivotal.

“I firmly believe that it saved my life,” he said.

Prosecutors had sought a 57-month sentence, while lawyers for Cosko asked for a two-year prison term.

Hogan said Cosko’s actions put senators, their families and others at risk. “You exposed them. People may want to harm them in our polarized society,” the judge said.

Prosecutor Demian Ahn said Cosko’s actions amounted to “the largest data breach in Senate history.”

“These are deliberate and malicious crimes that the defendant engaged in,” Ahn said, accusing Cosko of a “months-long, deliberately planned, meticulously executed crime spree.”

Ahn said Cosko’s offenses amounted to an attack on “civil society” and were particularly worrisome because Cosko went after most of the senators involved solely because “they had different political opinions from the defendant.”

In his two-minute statement to the court, Cosko said that he’d been struggling with substance abuse and mental health issues and that the judge’s decision earlier this year to let him enter a treatment program was pivotal.

“I firmly believe that it saved my life,” he said.

Hogan said he was puzzled at how Cosko kept up work in congressional offices given the cocaine, psychedelics and alcohol he was consuming daily.

“The probation office indicated he’s lucky he wasn’t dead,” the judge said.

Defense attorney Brian Stolarz stressed that Cosko has changed his life dramatically since his arrest last October and cooperated with investigators, leading them to hidden evidence, like computer equipment he stashed in an oven.

After the hearing, Stolarz had no criticism of the sentence, although it amounted to double what the defense had sought. “We thank the judge for this considered and thoughtful sentence,” he told reporters.

The sentencing came on the same day a second former Hassan aide, Samantha Deforest-Davis, was charged with two misdemeanors stemming from the same scheme: aiding a computer fraud and evidence tampering. She is expected to plead guilty to the two misdemeanor charges, a person familiar with the case said.

Deforest-Davis worked as a staff assistant in Hassan’s office from April 2017 until last December, when she was fired over her involvement in Cosko’s scheme, a Senate aide said.

Prosecutors say that after Cosko was fired from Hassan’s office last year, he used Deforest-Davis’s keys to repeatedly return to the office, copy dozens of gigabytes of sensitive data, and install sophisticated keyloggers that captured the work and personal computer passwords of Hassan staffers as they logged in.

Prosecutors say Deforest-Davis didn’t give Cosko permission to use her keys the first time he surreptitiously entered Hassan’s office, but the colleague later agreed to loan Cosko her office key and agreed to “wipe down” computers in the office to erase traces of Cosko’s fingerprints. Deforest-Davis and Cosko had a “close relationship” and she also owed borrowed money from Cosko to pay her rent, court papers say.

Cosko’s initial intent appears to have been to harass and intimidate his former colleagues in Hassan’s office, including those responsible for his firing, prosecutors contend. Once he had the information, he decided to use it to retaliate against GOP senators over the Kavanaugh confirmation process.

Prosecutors say Cosko also threatened to release health information on senator’s children and appeared to engage in an extortion effort by declaring in one post on Paul’s Wikipedia page: “Send us bitcoins.”

No arraignment has been set yet for Deforest-Davis. House salary records show she worked briefly earlier this year as a legislative correspondent for Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.).

Posts: 19665 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
How long we going to keep necroposting?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems there's recent developments in this case - I thought people posting to the original thread was the right thing to do. Me - I'm just happy to see one of Jim's threads at the top - I literally cracked a great big smile when I saw him as the original poster!

Posts: 1713 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
How long we going to keep necroposting?

Until our friend JAllen is resurrected.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31560 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
article provides a timeline and identifies 2 mistakes by Capitol Police

https://dailycaller.com/2019/0...emocrats-data-theft/

Cosko is the son of a millionaire real estate developer who was the head of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce and who has ties to California Sen. Dianne Feinstein and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. He previously served in the offices of Feinstein and California Sen. Barbara Boxer.

Before any of this trouble began, Cosko already had felony run-ins with the law attributed to drug addiction. Nonetheless, Hassan hired him as computer systems administrator, which prosecutors said gave him the “keys to the electronic kingdom … the sysadmin becomes the ultimate insider threat.”

Senator Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire

Hassan fired Cosko in May 2018 because of a different issue that pre-dated the hack

Cosko hatched a plan to steal the office’s data and use it to extort Hassan into giving him a good reference, according to prosecutors, out of fear for future job security in Washington.

Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas gave him an unpaid position, apparently without calling Hassan’s office as a reference check

Using his House computer in Jackson Lee’s office, he doxxed Republicans who were voting on the Kavanaugh confirmation by posting their private information to Wikipedia in order to intimidate them.

Cosko knew how to operate Hassan’s computer systems, but since he was fired, he didn’t physically have access. Prosecutors said Cosko gave rent money to another Hassan staffer, Samantha DeForest-Davis, in exchange for her key.

During one of these break-ins on Oct. 2, 2018, Cosko was caught in the act by another Hassan staffer and fled, later emailing the witness that he had private emails, texts, and even health information about senator’s children he would publish unless the witness kept quiet

Cosko asked Davis to go into the crime scene, wipe his fingerprints off the computers, and restart the computers to destroy evidence. Prosecutors said Deforest-Davis texted: “So I was able to wipe down the keys and mouse but [a witness] was coming so I could [not] do the other thing … sorry I couldn’t do everything.”

Deforest-Davis was fired from the Senate Dec. 19, 2018

In Jan 2019, Rep. Abigail Spanberger, a Virginia Democrat, hired Deforest-Davis anyway. Spanberger, a former CIA agent, apparently did not detect Deforest-Davis’s history.

DeForest-Davis abruptly departed the payroll after working from only Jan. 30 to Feb. 11 2019

DeForest-Davis is set to begin yet another government job as a Milwaukee Public Schools teacher through Teach for America

During the Capitol police investigation of Cosko, they made two mistakes.

1. When Capitol Police searched Cosko's home, they missed "the most significant tranche of data". The defense attorney told them to go back and check the oven. (part of Cosko's "cooperation")

2. The Senate continued to be spied on even after his arrest because officials never checked the USB ports of computers in her office, where keylogging devices were beaming back every keystroke over WiFi.

“He told them about the keyloggers. If he didn’t, they’d still be there,” Cosko’s lawyer said in court.

Posts: 19665 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post