SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bathtub Fiberglass surrounds Advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathtub Fiberglass surrounds Advice needed Login/Join 
posted
The marble surrounds in my bathroom need replacing. Are the fiberglass surrounds any easy fix?If so, are the glued in ones preferable to the ones nailed to the studs? Thoughts appreciated.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Corian or similar panels might offer the most long-term value. Do not glue them up with dark construction adhesive, though (don't ask how I know). Fiberglass tub kits are OK but they are not as easy to install as something with less flexibility. Clear silicone caulk is used. Painters tape and furring strips wedged into place should hold your panels fine as as glue sets up.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have installed many Mustee fiberglass tub surrounds, best I've seen and they hold up well. Biggest job I've done was a 14 unit apartment complex. Putting them on top of tile.

Biggest thing is to get the surface as clean as you can, I used Fast Orange with an orbital sander on the tile, that was at least 15 years ago and they all look great still.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post