SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice on automotive diag scanner for home use
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on automotive diag scanner for home use Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
There was a thread a while back that I cannot find now where someone mentioned an Auto scanner for home use. If there are any mechanics here that can give some input on which model I would appreciate it.

I am looking at the Autel MS906S to have at home. Right now my vehicles are only a couple years old but I want the ability to troubleshoot some issues myself since I do most of my work. Will also be using it to help out friends with their vehicles.

These (Autel scanners) state they need software upgrades but I assume they will still work without upgrading every year since it is expensive. Anyone know that? Also, what model is good enough for home use but gives the most ability without going over $1000? Input from people who own these or mechanics is appreciated.

https://www.auteltechshop.com/...diagnostic-tool.html

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I've read really good things about the higher level Zurich models at Harbor Freight, but I'm not that level of user so I don't have any experience to relate.

Following this thread for my own education...

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have a simple Autel model that has been useful for troubleshooting issues and also helping to identify which spark plug module needed to be changed out. But it doesn't allow me to program things - good and bad perhaps. Good that it doesn't allow me to really muck up the system. Bad that there are some things I want to change like door lock behavior.

There may be functional upgrades but what may need to be updated is if you buy a scanner that doesn't have the info for a newer car. I was okay - I bought a scanner that's being used on 10+ year old cars - my cars are not new.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Reading codes is easy, but these days, doing anything beyond that is getting more and more vehicle specific. Even if your code reader is compatible, you may find yourself needing factory software which can be unobtainable or extraordinarily expensive.

What do you actually want to do with it?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally use a:
https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

It pairs with an iPhone. It has an app that you can use with it and clear codes. It's small and we travel with it. I also use Forscan with it. In my opinion, it's the best for the money.

Forscan: https://forscan.org/home.html

Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

What do you actually want to do with it?

-Rob

Deeper level diagnostics, instead of getting numerous trouble codes and not knowing which is the cause, being able to pinpoint issues so I can buy correct parts. Once out of warranty I will be doing my own work and with so much electronic components I want to diagnose properly instead of being a parts changer. I’ve got a good understanding of how the systems work so if I have some ability to pinpoint I can find a correct the problem without paying someone else $100 plus an hour to do it.

Mechanics have to diagnose with equipment to pinpoint problems, I want that ability without buying a Snap On scanner.

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got one of these:

https://us.bluedriver.com/pages/bluedriver

Haven't dived too deep into it, but gives a lot of data.
Live stream from sensors & DTC type info.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15356 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You're more advanced than me - I'm limited in my capability. I use it to fix certain things and also get an idea of the problem before getting a mechanic to diagnose and fix (trust but verify).

I bought something like this (several years ago - bought a unit that cost around $150) that's been good enough for me. $700 is too rich for me but again I've only wanted to get some preview of what the problem might be and be able to fix simple things.

https://www.auteltechshop.com/...m-function-3247.html

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
That scanner you linked in OP will do what you need. I have a older model That mentions on startup that updates are available, you go past that screen and continue. As far as I know, you do not have to update the scanner you listed, might want to email the manufacture and ask them.
Keep in mind that pretty much after 2008 model year, most vehicles require electrical components (window switches,etc.) to be "flashed" with expensive, or oem (factory scan tools) after replacement in order to work.
You will, for example be able to diagnose a power window switch on a 2008 Silverado with that scanner, but you can not replace it, it has to be "flashed" to the Silverado's system in order to function.

Posts: 1302 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
That scanner you linked in OP will do what you need. I have a older model That mentions on startup that updates are available, you go past that screen and continue. As far as I know, you do not have to update the scanner you listed, might want to email the manufacture and ask them.
Keep in mind that pretty much after 2008 model year, most vehicles require electrical components (window switches,etc.) to be "flashed" with expensive, or oem (factory scan tools) after replacement in order to work.
You will, for example be able to diagnose a power window switch on a 2008 Silverado with that scanner, but you can not replace it, it has to be "flashed" to the Silverado's system in order to function.

Thanks, I was not aware of that. I may just go with a cheaper option then.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have a ThinkDiag+ V2.

It is a bi-directional scan tool that uses software driven by your phone over Bluetooth. The software requires a subscription to use, but the subscription can be purchased as needed (instead of an annual recurring charge). It appears similar in capacity to some of the more expensive scanners, but at a lower cost because the hardware doesn't need it's own screen.

Thus far, I've seen it read out information from many of the major modules from my car. Things like calculated soot load in my diesel particulate filter, calculated oil dilution, etc. I've used it to reset my oil maintenance interval after an oil change, and to reset my diesel exhaust fluid minder interval after doing a drain and refill of old DEF that has sat beyond the recommended time. These are all things that I have not been able to do with a basic OBD scanner (I have a ScanGuage2 as well as a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner with the Torque app.)

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post