SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Knives for cooking....What do you all like?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knives for cooking....What do you all like? Login/Join 
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
You need to check out this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2690049574

Mike has made my wife a complete kitchen set of knives and a cleaver. Heirloom quality and she uses them every day. Paring, Santoku, boning, large chef, shashimi, cleaver, etc. I mean I’m sure those commercial knives mentioned are good but if you want to stand out from the rest look no further than our own membership for some very fine artisans.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Forged in Fire cooking knife Big Grin..it chops lesser knives in half...if you order now...just pay separate shipping & handling...

I actually have one just to irk the lady of the house who really enjoys cooking. Cool

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hed8pibtE1w

In all seriousness, Henckels or Mizen make good knives. I was having a discussion elsewhere on the interwebz on having to re-sharpen some of the lady of the house's knives...she often uses a glass cutting board...it took awhile, I had to basically re-grind the edge as it looked like someone took a small ball-peen hammer to them.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
You can always check out what Bob Kramer has been making. You can’t just buy a Kramer knife. You have to bid in an auction, or in years past you could win the lottery and then purchase. His work is amazing, but so is the price.

I liked Kramer Knives more, back when his shop was at his house in Lacey, Washington, and you could stop in and chat with him about knives, what he was making, etc.

https://kramerknives.com/

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The temperature of the hot water over a wash cycle can affect the temper in a blade. That said, all dishwashers aren't the same so, some washers are lengthy and prolonged in their cycles, others are short. Unit water heaters will also be different.

The water pressure hitting the knife blade will dull the blades. If hitting directly, the jet of hot water over a 30-60-90 minute wash cycle will eventually dull the edge.

Exposing the handles to prolonged water under high-heat will damage the handles. The material will split, crack and/or, the rivets/adhesive will loosen up. Wood or, synthetic handles will have a protective finish, it's not too hard for the wash cycle to remove the protective finish. As an example, take a basic aluminum sheet pan and run it though a wash cycle, the dish washer will scour the tin finish off the pan, dulling it and pitting the surface.

* Dishwasher water will not change the temper of a knife.

* Yes, a dishwasher will dull the blade, but that's why the dear lord invented knife sharpeners. The Accusharp in particular will have it razor sharp in a few strokes.

* Lastly, might or might not cause issues with the handle. Depends on the material. I have some @8-12 year old wood handle Benchmade kitchen knives they say "HANDWASH ONLY" that I dislike that I pull out of the dishwasher all the time. Every once in a while I put some minerel oil I got at Wards years back on the handles and they are showing no wear. None.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Wusthof Classic that I have used for 15+ years and I did a lot of research before I bought it. They are a beautiful classic design.

First, my wife believed them when they said it was safe to use in the dishwasher. I said wash by hand. She did it her way for a while – three months - until the handles started cracking. As of today, half of the handles have small fractures, I have had to epoxy pieces back on four other knives. Most of the rivets are corroded and discolored.

I believe that the breaks occur in the dish washer because of the extremely high temperature my hot water is set to, which causes conflicting expansion between the blade metal, the rivets and the plastic handles – the weaker of the three materials are the handles.

The Classics were beautiful but rapidly showed their age after five years - not to mention handle retention when your hands are covered with savory juices.

I have purchased addition Wusthof knives in the Grand Prix series and although supposedly inferior in quality, the handle material and shape provide a more stable hold, the function is perfect, they are easier to maintain a great edge, and look the same as when purchased.

Do yourself a favor and purchase the Wusthof Grand Prix II series. I also purchased some excellent Japanese blades for my son.

If I want to show off quality cutlery, I lay out the stag handle, German silver complete dining set that my Dad brought back after WWII (after fighting in the Battle of the Bulge and invasion of Germany, he wanted better souvenirs than post cards.)

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2277 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I prefer Kyocera ceramic knives over everything else.

Haven't had to sharpen them in the last seven years or so.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I have a set of Wusthof Classic that I have used for 15+ years and I did a lot of research before I bought it. They are a beautiful classic design.

First, my wife believed them when they said it was safe to use in the dishwasher. I said wash by hand. She did it her way for a while – three months - until the handles started cracking. As of today, half of the handles have small fractures, I have had to epoxy pieces back on four other knives. Most of the rivets are corroded and discolored.

I believe that the breaks occur in the dish washer because of the extremely high temperature my hot water is set to, which causes conflicting expansion between the blade metal, the rivets and the plastic handles – the weaker of the three materials are the handles.

The Classics were beautiful but rapidly showed their age after five years - not to mention handle retention when your hands are covered with savory juices.

I have purchased addition Wusthof knives in the Grand Prix series and although supposedly inferior in quality, the handle material and shape provide a more stable hold, the function is perfect, they are easier to maintain a great edge, and look the same as when purchased.

Do yourself a favor and purchase the Wusthof Grand Prix II series. I also purchased some excellent Japanese blades for my son.

If I want to show off quality cutlery, I lay out the stag handle, German silver complete dining set that my Dad brought back after WWII (after fighting in the Battle of the Bulge and invasion of Germany, he wanted better souvenirs than post cards.)

I have a set of Wusthoff Classics I purchased in 2012 and use the heck out of. The handles on mine are still perfect, but they've never seen a dishwasher. I believe Wusthoff has a lifetime warranty so if you have cracked handles I believe they will cover them under warranty. I love mine, and use their 7" Santoku 95%+ of the time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

* Dishwasher water will not change the temper of a knife.

* Yes, a dishwasher will dull the blade, but that's why the dear lord invented knife sharpeners. The Accusharp in particular will have it razor sharp in a few strokes.

* Lastly, might or might not cause issues with the handle. Depends on the material. I have some @8-12 year old wood handle Benchmade kitchen knives they say "HANDWASH ONLY" that I dislike that I pull out of the dishwasher all the time. Every once in a while I put some minerel oil I got at Wards years back on the handles and they are showing no wear. None.

I'm no blacksmith or, metallurgist but, merely repeating what the Wusthoff rep to Williams-Sonoma said to us during a training session, so perhaps incorrect word usage of temper. The point was to not expose the knives to prolonged heat exposure, in which a dishwasher would be one of them; perhaps the washers in Germany run hotter than in the US. Knife sharpening should be an ongoing process anyways, whether its a touch-up with the honing rod or, a session with a stone however, abuse of the edge is a different issue; just because there's an easy fix doesn't mean one should continue to misuse the tool.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A dishwasher cannot temper a knife blade no matter which country you're in. Tempering temperatures are above the boiling point of water, and even if your dishwasher is capable of producing steam the tempering temperature would require the steam to be 216 psi. Not gonna happen in a residential setting.

The metallurgical issue is coefficient of thermal expansion differences between the knife, the handle material, and the pin material.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23328 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I believe the problems with dishwashers is the knife banging around.

Posts: 2716 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Cutco knives I bought back in 1956.
They have Never been in a dishwasher, in fact after my wife passed away, I completely disconnected it
so it cannot be used.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
I completely disconnected it so it cannot be used.
I feel the same way about food grinders / garbage disposals. Remove and replace with a quality brass strainer.

My knives: I use the left 8" for 90% of my kitchen chores.

https://avatarhost.files.wordp...12/go-to-knives.jpeg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
So I went Wusthof classic.

Went into a kitchen shop to look at chef's knifes, they had a deal for the 8" Chef's knife, pairing knife, 8" bread knife, honing steel, and scissors for $30 over just the Chef's knife.

My friend has a combo Wusthof gourmet and classic that I have used at her place, so I was at least familiar with them. I think a set to start.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, pics. I like. Smile

Here's what I use frequently. I have better knives (same types as what's shown) but reserve them for more special occasions; these are the ones I use daily. Bread, euro chef, sashimi, deba, deba, paring.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
So I went Wusthof classic.

Went into a kitchen shop to look at chef's knifes, they had a deal for the 8" Chef's knife, pairing knife, 8" bread knife, honing steel, and scissors for $30 over just the Chef's knife.

My friend has a combo Wusthof gourmet and classic that I have used at her place, so I was at least familiar with them. I think a set to start.

Sounds like a good set-up to start with.

Gourmet is Wusthof's price-point line, it's stamped metal.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Careful, the first few times you clean the 8" knife. It is sharper than you think. Yes, I nicked my palm the first time I washed it. The N. Italian knife sharpener 'taught' me the right way to clean a knife. Yep, I was doing it wrong my whole life.

A Navy guy taught me the 'right' way to mop a floor 20 years ago. Turns out I was not opening up my mop the right way. Amazing how some knowledge sticks with you.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned Wusthoff for many years. Always been pleased but recently purchased a Shun knife. I am impressed!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2897 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I have owned Wusthoff for many years. Always been pleased but recently purchased a Shun knife. I am impressed!

I think a Shun Nakiri is the next on my radar. First I got to sort my drawer storage, I am done with blocks.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Ohhh, pics. I like. Smile
[/url]

How do you like the offset bread knife?

And more general question on the bread knife, what all do you people use it for beyond bread?

Would you use it on a prime rib vs a slicer?

Pineapple and melon is are others I have heard...

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Cake, pineapple, and melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew) are my main non-bread uses.

Some people use them for tomatoes, but I've never had an issue slicing a tomato with a properly sharp non-serrated knife.

I wouldn't use it on meat.

Funnily enough, I used a bread knife to cut the batts to size when installing rockwool insulation during the bathroom remodel at my last house. It's actually what's recommended.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post