SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pressure washer question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure washer question Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have a 5HP Honda gasoline pressure washer. It's been a great machine, as in, really great. Anyway the axial mounted hydraulic pump leaks hydraulic fluid like crazy, and I'm not sure where it's coming from. But to get to the question, are those little pumps rebuildable, or do you just by a new one ? I've never been inside one so I'm not sure what to expect, but I'd imagine it's not rocket science.

I don't want to buy a new pressure washer because although I've had the machine for 25 years or so, it still doesn't have a lot of hours on it, and the motor is in excellent shape.

Any advice appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know just drops on a new pump if the motor is still good. Matching shaft size is a key parameter for buying a new one.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Most of these pumps are Chinese specials and they are $75-$100 on eBay/Amazon. If that's what you have, just slap a new one of these on and your good for the next 25 years.

I get good service out of these Chinese pumps. Make sure to anti-seize the shaft because they can be a bitch to get off, which you might find out trying to remove a 25 year old pump. I dump the oil every 25 hours or so. Pretty simple to do and increases the life of these pumps.

If its a name brand pump, like General or Cat, take it off, send it to be rebuilt by the manufacturer or approved rebuilder.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post