SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What if a women's sports team held a parade and no one showed up?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if a women's sports team held a parade and no one showed up? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Female athletes, often, get a much higher percentage of overall revenue than male ones. Not sure why they complain.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I could care less about the team or sport. But what a waste of Chicago Police dollars...

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watch the LPGA , and LSU women's softball . The WNBA holds zero interest for us . Apparently most people feel the same .
I wonder what is the average attendance and ticket price ?

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Megan Rapinoe: "I've been devalued, I've been disrespected and dismissed because I am a woman. I've been told that I don't deserve any more than less because I am a woman. Despite all the wins, I'm still paid less than men who do the same job that I do."

Too funny!!! Here ya go Megan...

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, couldn't post for a while with all the tears of laughter in my eyes!

Yeah, unfortunately I found out that Chicago had a wnba team. I found out because of a picture of the midget mayor without her mask on in the crowd.

She was all happy, "oh, we're going to throw a parade!"

I guess her memo for all the city workers to show up and chant for her favorite team didn't get out.

I love how everything she touches turns to shit.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
"We no can dunk, but good fundamentals."

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
There’s more people in the parade than there are watching the parade.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parade turnout reflects actual fan base of WNBA……
Ah yea, non existent!

------------------------------------
Good men must sometimes do bad things to bad people; to keep them from doing bad things to the innocent !!

Posts: 736 | Location: Tucson,Az | Registered: August 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure a pro-cancer rally could draw more people than that. So pathetic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
What if they gave a Snu Snu and nobody came?

Errr, attended.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or in the small portion of the video where they showed the bus with the trophy, it looked like it was all guys. I definitely saw a few beards.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I was trapped in a doctor's office waiting room while the TV had on a Chicago station where the players were all hopping up and down and "dancing" to some crap music. It was almost more than I could take.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I had to check and learned that Houston’s team the Comets folded up in 2008. And they were a four-Pete dynasty just a couple years before that.
Not much interest in watching lesbian sports I guess here in this Southern town.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I used to enter the lottery for Men's NCAA Tournament Basketball tickets. We scored a couple times for first round seats in Spokane or Salt Lake. The deal was, if you bought tickets for the men's, you had to buy tickets for the girl's too. Naturally we were charged for both. We threw the girl's in the trash.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Aw. Too bad, so sad, bye bye.

I think if there had been something to steal there, there would have been at least a small crowd show up.

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
As someone who was involved in girls' & women's team sports for two decades, let me air some dirty laundry that feminists are loathe to admit.

Women don't support women's sports.

When it comes time to put their money where their mouths are, they're all excuses. The vast majority of women, when given the choice of attending a NBA or WNBA game will choose the NBA.

There was a lot of negative press last spring about the disparity in things such as workout facilities and goodie bags between the NCAA men's & women's basketball tournaments. Only five NCAA Championships turn a profit: men's basketball, men's baseball, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's wrestling - all at the Div 1 level.

Many women's sports advocates argue, "If you build it, they will come."
They argue that if for example, the NCAA marketed the women's basketball tournament as well as the do The Dance and March Madness, then the women's side would be more popular & profitable.

They are delusional. NCAA ice hockey, lacrosse, & wrestling are very niche sports w/ very little marketing, but they turn profits, b/c of their devoted fan bases - in spite of lack of marketing.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/ncaa...ments-202859329.html

There are many examples of times people built something for women's sports, yet no one came. E.g., the WNBA, every women's US pro soccer league. The league launched after the US won the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup had all the pieces in place a start-up league could ask for, yet it flopped harder than [ahem] a pro soccer player looking for a call.

Billie Jean King started WomenSports magazine in 1974. It lasted a year. During the 1990s, Conde Nast Sports for Women and Sports Illustrated for Women began publication to try to capitalize on the effects of Title IX and increasing interest in women's sports. They both flopped after a two years. What does it say when SI for Women can't make it to 20 issues, yet SI Kids remains in print after 30 years?

The kinds of women's sports magazines that flourish are the ones that focus on girly elements: individual workout routines, hair, makeup, clothes, diets. These are magazines like: Shape, Self, Women's Fitness, Women's Health.

Much to the chagrin of feminists, the women's sports that do best, that have highest viewership, paid attendance, and profitability are ones where the athletes are known to look feminine, e.g., tennis, gymnastics, figure skating, I'd even include Dancing with the Stars.

In my decades in female team sports, there was always a like/hate relationship among the old-school females and the men in their sport. Many of them would accuse men of taking over &/or ruining their sport. The reason there are so many men in your sport coaching & officiating (and soon trans women will be taking over as players) is b/c not enough women step up to fill those roles. Because when you get down to it, women do not support women's sports.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Women don't support women's sports.

When it comes time to put their money where their mouths are, they're all excuses. The vast majority of women, when given the choice of attending a NBA or WNBA game will choose the NBA.

The crux of this entire debate. Want to shut-down a conversation where somebody is adamant that the disparities are a result of sexist bigoted attitudes, drop this bomb.

Dawn Staley, w's basketball coach at South Carolina and long time professional player recently received a 7-year, $22m contract. She was on Good Morning America and ESPN, she was interviewed over multiple segments, the network hosts falling all over themselves with beaming pride. I can't recall any other sports contract, particularly one that is largest/highest in industry, that was received so positively and celebrated. I don't know if Staley is a good coach or, not but, if that program isn't generating enough revenue...hows that contract going to get paid out?

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but, but, but, they STILL should get the same pay and stuff, because, um, damn the man.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
What did they win, a Panini Press?

Does they knoes how's to make sammiches???

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I don't know if Staley is a good coach or, not but, if that program isn't generating enough revenue...hows that contract going to get paid out?

It's college sports. All the revenue goes into the same coffer. It's a given that the profits from men's football & basketball will support the rest of the athletic dept.

U of S Carolina is fortunate that overall their athletic dept typically turns an annual profit. Only a minority of NCAA schools do so. Due to Covid, USC closed the 2020-21 academic year $27 million in the red though.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth....it-under-ray-tanner/